Block has been ninja nerfed out of the game

• You may think the problem is just buggy weapons/facehugging, but the real problem is that in this game offense is too powerful. Its not just feints that are the problem… If you ever duel a really good player, you will notice they will never block unless they literally have no other choice, even when on defense they will just attack. The new way of high level fighting is dancing, which I guess is fine if that’s what the devs were going for, but it just doesn’t fit a medieval fighting game at all imo…

The problem is a combination of the amazing powers of feint, which adds a huge amount of randomness to a match, and the ability to attack while sprinting.

• why don’t you start going to some REAL duel servers? lol. I never see you in the ones i play in. I think you are misjudging what a “high-level” player is. You don’t find them as much in duel mode. If you are constantly going to duel mode and joining ‘the pool’ and playing against randoms and calling anyone that beats you ‘high-level’ play… you’re misguided.

Come to int duels, or go into a kill ease… i have my own duel server now too that i can populate just off my friends list pretty much any time so if you want to duel some good guys, i’ve got plenty on my friends list. I’m not too bad either. Then you can see what the higher skilled players do. i don’t know who you are playing against… you have made a lot of crummy posts lately complaining about stuff but what you are talking about… vs high level play is just oxymoronic discussion.

Good players definitely need to parry and block and all that… being aggressive definitely has its strongpoints and IS more advantageous. Do you think soccer or hockey players score goals by playing defense? 100 percent of shots not taken don’t score. You said they only parry “if they absolutely need to”… well you need to make them “absolutely need to” more often lol. If you don’t give them a reason to parry ie. throwing an attack WHILE IN RANGE OF THEM, why would they parry a non-existent attack? start attacking lol

• Bc they will be out of range of ur attack. They will run away and turn around after you’ve attacked. And maybe its just the times I play but I never see anyone online on the ffa duel servers.

• That’s called kiting when they run away and come back in for attacks. This is easily countered by just watching them. You can also feint your initial attack and chase them down.

As far as the FFA duel servers, i only play on a few that generally have better players on them. Int duels, and my buddy a kill ease’s duel server. Both are pretty active in the afternoon, but i’d say they are MOST active in early to late evenings. I’d say best time to start playing is around 6-7pm EST, and then how long you play after that is completely up to you. I’m typically on till like 3-4 AM when i have a day off lol.

• Clayton gets killed by hatchet spam =p

But seriously, yes, the two duel servers he mentions are fun.

• ^^ if that’s fucking tolin… fuck your hatchet brah

• Block only when your supposed to block? No fucking shit that’s what its for. Why block any other time.

And kiters do take some string used to.

You will see in an FFA match they will do good for their first round. But after that they do pretty bad as everybody knows what he does. Just stand they and watch. He will attack and miss and that’s when you attack. You don’t need to block as he is already too far away.

• i usually always play in 1st person, but i notice that people have a far greater advantage when kiting if using 3rd person… try it out and you will see lol.

I typically main 1st person, but in free for all, there’s so many advantages to using 3rd person, i can maneuver my character so much better because i can see their swings miss me. I can duck, sidestep and lean a LOT better in 3rd it’s almost cheating lol. Again, i usually do 1st person all the time, but… it’s fun to do 3rd in free for all sometimes… try the maul O.o

• @clayton-bigsby:

i usually always play in 1st person, but i notice that people have a far greater advantage when kiting if using 3rd person… try it out and you will see lol.

I typically main 1st person, but in free for all, there’s so many advantages to using 3rd person, i can maneuver my character so much better because i can see their swings miss me. I can duck, sidestep and lean a LOT better in 3rd it’s almost cheating lol. Again, i usually do 1st person all the time, but… it’s fun to do 3rd in free for all sometimes… try the maul O.o

Only if you set your FOV way out.

• @clayton-bigsby:

^^ if that’s fucking tolin… fuck your hatchet brah

Better. I’m the guy who kept killing tolin.

See, see my name? Down there, just down vv there. Avoids these kind of things

• Offensive play is, and should be, more advantageous than defensive play.

That said, it’s more than just advantageous at the moment due to holding feints so far into the windup that it becomes more about prediction than reaction. (Which has its own merits and downsides but it fundamentally changes the pace of duels to favor aggression).

If you added a cutoff point to the windup of feints, say 0.2 ms before the end, where you cannot feint after, defensive play would be right where it should be. Not quite as viable as offensive play, yet still useful. In harmony with each other.

• yeah, and they ARE going to adjust feints from what Tibbs said in the q&a, however a LOT of testing will need to be done. Say they DO add a .2 to the end of feint where you cannot, that can’t be across the board though because what about secondaries, daggars etc where the windup is short as it is. You cant really late-feint the daggars and such because the windup is too short. For those weapons, you basically have to KNOW you are going to feint before you do it, whereas with other weapons, you can realize late in the windup you want to feint it and feint.

the feints will have to be adjusted on a case-by-case… weapon-by-weapon basis which is why theres gotta be a lot of testing. Also, if they adjust the feints, they will probably have to adjust parry times, or some other timing in order for everything to balance out right. We’ll just have to stick to playing beta’s and give good feedback when the time comes.

• @clayton-bigsby:

yeah, and they ARE going to adjust feints from what Tibbs said in the q&a, however a LOT of testing will need to be done. Say they DO add a .2 to the end of feint where you cannot, that can’t be across the board though because what about secondaries, daggars etc where the windup is short as it is. You cant really late-feint the daggars and such because the windup is too short. For those weapons, you basically have to KNOW you are going to feint before you do it, whereas with other weapons, you can realize late in the windup you want to feint it and feint.

the feints will have to be adjusted on a case-by-case… weapon-by-weapon basis which is why theres gotta be a lot of testing. Also, if they adjust the feints, they will probably have to adjust parry times, or some other timing in order for everything to balance out right. We’ll just have to stick to playing beta’s and give good feedback when the time comes.

So daggers would be the same? You’d have to attack and then feint immediately. I don’t see the problem and it would only improve the chances of parrying a feint for every weapon.

• @clayton-bigsby:

yeah, and they ARE going to adjust feints from what Tibbs said in the q&a, however a LOT of testing will need to be done. Say they DO add a .2 to the end of feint where you cannot, that can’t be across the board though because what about secondaries, daggars etc where the windup is short as it is. You cant really late-feint the daggars and such because the windup is too short. For those weapons, you basically have to KNOW you are going to feint before you do it, whereas with other weapons, you can realize late in the windup you want to feint it and feint.

I agree, a lot of testing will be needed.

Although for fast one handed weapons, offensive feints shouldn’t even be a thing. You do not, in any way shape or form, need to feint to land hits extremely easily with any one hander. Parry counters are lightning quick, and even ordinary attacks are too… there’s no problem there. Feints are completely unnecessary for one handers.

Offensively of course, you should still be able to defensively cancel an attack with them.

• @The:

@clayton-bigsby:

I agree, a lot of testing will be needed.

Although for fast one handed weapons, offensive feints shouldn’t even be a thing. You do not, in any way shape or form, need to feint to land hits extremely easily with any one hander. Parry counters are lightning quick, and even ordinary attacks are too… there’s no problem there. Feints are completely unnecessary for one handers.

Offensively of course, you should still be able to defensively cancel an attack with them.

A feinter would say parry counters are unnecessary.

I say it adds variety.

• yeah and feints with 1H are def necessary… think if you cant use them with a shield how slow and predictable ALL your attacks will be lol.

• They will still go straight through shields/parries.

• @theuprising:

They will still go straight through shields/parries.

Beta blocking versus live blocking is like night and day. Even with the dane axe we tested it out and its possible to block all night long.

• @gregcau:

@theuprising:

They will still go straight through shields/parries.

Beta blocking versus live blocking is like night and day. Even with the dane axe we tested it out and its possible to block all night long.

Every time I touch the beta, it’s full of EU players and parrying still makes zero sense because the pings of most of the players are ~150. Then again, I don’t think I’ve even put two full hours in it yet, and am willing to accept the possibility that my timing was awful.