Stun after being Kicked needs to be changed

• I play as a knight with a kite shield.

Fighting MaA is incredibly frustrating as is. They have a huge speed advantage. Their swings are very fast and come in from an incredibly wide angle. And they do too much damage (takes 3 hits for an MaA to kill me and 2-3 hits for me to kill him with my mace). While I think MaA is OPed against knights in general, I’ve adapted and I can live with it.

The one thing I can’t overlook is how OP a kick is now. The kicks special feature is its ability to break someone’s guard. It is by nature unblockable. The problem is now getting kicked with a shield stuns you. If you are fighting an MaA and you get kicked (hard to avoid due to their speed), it’s basically a free hit because you can’t block.

This is a huge unbalance in the game. You can’t make the kick AND the follow-up hit unblockable. There needs to be a way to block the hit after a kick. I get it - you want to disable turtling. I’m not saying remove the stun so that you can bring a shield up and go back to turtling. But unblockable swings are not the answer.

How about this - give the knight a chance to block using just his weapon after a kick. The MaA still has a decent chance of hitting because of their wide, fast swings. But the knight isn’t just standing there with his pants down.

• Lower your shield.

• Free hits shouldn’t be in the game though. I could get in hits before this silly change by kicking the shield user and sprinting off to his side while dragging an attack around or doing a jumping overhead. Felt much more satisfying too, it was a guard break and not a free hit, now you just have to feint an attack, kick and overhead the guy in the face. It’s silly.

• lower your shield
    it’s possible, the kicks have enough windup for you to do so

also why are you trying to kill MAAs with Maces?
    that’s like someone trying to kill a Knight with a dagger and complaining how hard it is
    use a slashing weapon you dummy

• Flanged mace is a beast. It’ll still two-shot MAAs

• @Daiyuki:

Flanged mace is a beast. It’ll still two-shot MAAs

yup, flanged mace is sick.

I think kicks are fine, you can still drop your shield if someone feint-kicks, it’s quite easy to predict tbh or they can just feint then attack then you’ll drop your shield anyway and get hit in the face. The kick right now is basically the same thing as feinting on some one without a shield, you either predict the feint-kick or you don’t. Btw feints DONT need to be changed, devs. The only thing that needs fixing is MaA dodging strait out of these stuns, that is annoying as hell and OP.

• Lower your shield

• The game’s combat was WAY better before the patch, kick could actually be used to knock back an aggressive attacker so you could go on the offensive. But now it just is used to discourage use of a shield (You can’t win if the player utilizes kick, it’s not a matter of skill.) And the sad thing is once you use a shield you get kicked and die, so if you decide not to use a shield because of that you get killed by a feinter. Both are unblockable iwin buttons that really ruin the gameplay experience, this game has so much more potential but it is ruined by something so simple which they don’t seem to realize. Making unblockable buttons in the game completely removes the skill aspect, please make kick the way it was before so at the very least we can block after being kicked. Then at least I can use a shield and feel safer against feint-users.

• @brewergamer:

The game’s combat was WAY better before the patch, kick could actually be used to knock back an aggressive attacker so you could go on the offensive. But now it just is used to discourage use of a shield (You can’t win if the player utilizes kick, it’s not a matter of skill.) And the sad thing is once you use a shield you get kicked and die, so if you decide not to use a shield because of that you get killed by a feinter. Both are unblockable iwin buttons that really ruin the gameplay experience, this game has so much more potential but it is ruined by something so simple which they don’t seem to realize. Making unblockable buttons in the game completely removes the skill aspect, please make kick the way it was before so at the very least we can block after being kicked. Then at least I can use a shield and feel safer against feint-users.

Basicly just what im thinking. This patch just ruined the game (the earlier one wasnt better, but still playable)
    Like I said in another thread. The November build was basicly the best this game had yet, combat wise.
    I’d never buy this game in its current state. I bought it back then, because it was stable and AWESOME.
    I couldnt even believe myself how well it has been done. But things just got ruined so incredible fast…

• @brewergamer:

(You can’t win if the player utilizes kick, it’s not a matter of skill.)

This is just plain wrong. Learn to play.

• I play MAA 80% of the time and I don’t like the way kick stuns knights either. Makes it a huge disadvantage to use a shield. When I play knight, I lose the shield because it gets me killed more often than not, only find it useful against heavy feinters and archers. Anyone else you might as well use a 2-hander. Shield slows you down, costs you stamina, AND gets you stun-locked on a kick. The jav archer stun is even worse, you are stunned for literally 4-5 seconds after a kick. Not a good time to be a shield user lol.

• Knights, MAAs, and Jav users who constantly hold the shield up in from of them deserve to be punished

Getting stunned is a fitting punishment

• @BB:

Knights, MAAs, and Jav users who constantly hold the shield up in from of them deserve to be punished

Getting stunned is a fitting punishment

Yes, punish turtling by making shields pointless.

:|

• @brewergamer:

The game’s combat was WAY better before the patch, kick could actually be used to knock back an aggressive attacker so you could go on the offensive. But now it just is used to discourage use of a shield (You can’t win if the player utilizes kick, it’s not a matter of skill.) And the sad thing is once you use a shield you get kicked and die, so if you decide not to use a shield because of that you get killed by a feinter. Both are unblockable iwin buttons that really ruin the gameplay experience, this game has so much more potential but it is ruined by something so simple which they don’t seem to realize. Making unblockable buttons in the game completely removes the skill aspect, please make kick the way it was before so at the very least we can block after being kicked. Then at least I can use a shield and feel safer against feint-users.

This is a good statement and i agree with portions of it. Its an important statement because when i had less experience i would have had a problem with the new kick as well.
    Kick was more useful before it was nurfed because it was good for keeping facehuggers at bay. Kick was more common sense and gave the game better fluency.

Now people are saying “but you can just lower your shield” like the dim witted souls they are, however, it is dumb to do so because while it is true that sometimes you can lower your shield it doesn’t stop people running an attack / feint / kick maneuver when the shield user is blind (because block is up for the impending attack).

If you’re good you can leave block for the very last millisecond, but for new players its just another WTF moment where they will feel that people are using an ‘i win’ exploit and that is bad for a continued player base.

You should not need extended experience to exploit inexperienced newbs. You should use your experience to overcome them and then they will more happily experience their limbs falling off because they can admire your skill and not dirty tactics.

• @giantyak:

If you’re good you can leave block for the very last millisecond, but for new players its just another WTF moment where they will feel that people are using an ‘i win’ exploit and that is bad for a continued player base.

You should not need extended experience to exploit inexperienced newbs. You should use your experience to overcome them and then they will more happily experience their limbs falling off because they can admire your skill and not dirty tactics.

So your arguing that shields should become OP for very good players so noobs don’t have to learn how to play? …wow.

Judging by the incredible amount of whine I receive currently when successfully hitting people around their shields I don’t think any noobs will “admire my skill” either.

• @omg87:

Yes, punish turtling by making shields pointless.

:|

good players can drop their shields for the kick windup
    this is not hard

or even hard to comprehend
    just because you can’t do it, or you don’t fight people that can, doesn’t mean good players don’t

• I agree that the shield-stun needs to be tweaked, it shouldn’t guarantee a free hit, but it should still give you an opportunity, ie. force them to use their shield more like a parry if they want to survive.

Turtles are annoying, but there are plenty of other ways to get around them: facehug and swing around the shield, jump and overhead, stab to the side and drag around the shield (lightsabering), feint and then alt-swing or overhead.

If the stun duration was long enough to allow the attacker to close the distance and windup a swing while still giving the defender a chance to do a last-second block like a parry, I would consider it more balanced. Shield users already suffer from increased stamina drain from blocking, they don’t need more disadvantages.

• @Glass:

I agree that the shield-stun needs to be tweaked, it shouldn’t guarantee a free hit, but it should still give you an opportunity

only the faster weapons can get a hit in before the stun is over

• How about rather then just beating on the shield you get around it….like in training 101…its not that hard. And its better then this silly situation now.

• @BB:

@Glass:

I agree that the shield-stun needs to be tweaked, it shouldn’t guarantee a free hit, but it should still give you an opportunity

only the faster weapons can get a hit in before the stun is over

Pretty sure an accelerated attack from any weapon in the game can get a hit in before the stun ends.