Competitive Play - Ladder System?

• I have a huge concern when games require player-organized competitive play. The reality is that in the majority of those instances, organized play rarely happens. And if it does happen (e.g. counterstrike), it occurs a lot less often and generally only the best players [can] participate.

There currently are some off-line leagues or tournaments that are run for about .5% of the Chivalry population. I’ve played nearly 200 hours, am quite talented, and yet don’t even know the details on those. Does Torn Banners plan to implement features to help facilitate leagues or tournaments (e.g. a ladder system)? To me, this should be the #1 priority.

The game-play in Chivalry is unbelievable, but without features to facilitate competitive play (and not just private servers); it really limits what this game can achieve.

• @Mystikkal:

To me, this should be the #1 priority.

Not to me. Although it would be nice that TB gets more involved into the competitive gaming scene, the fact is that most teams have a website or a forum where they contact each other and make stuff on their own. While TB needs to focus on polishing the game.

What we need however is a handful of great casters who will organize or at least record and upload games, no matter what the average level is as long as the commentaries are relevant and entertaining. At the moment there is a lack of good videos, which serves badly the game. It would build the reputations of players and teams, plus hopefully increase the amount of competitive events.

• The game certainly has some bugs, but I think people over exaggerate it. Despite all the complaining, I feel the game is quite polished. But sure, let’s work on some of those bugs (and maybe those 500% speed hackers). But what I am referrencing here is what I feel should be the #1 priority as it relates to the development of the next main content release.

I am a member of one of the bigger guilds and since I’ve been in it (for about a month now), we have done one scrim against another guild. You can blame that on the leadership of our guild - or you can acknowledge that player organized competitive pvp is a huge handicap to the system working. Why make it such a pain to get into an organized game? Versus just grabbing 5 friends and signing up in a queue and getting placed against another guild of comparable skill (e.g. GW1)?

Like I said, there are a handful of people that organize it themselves (<.5% of the population), but the vast majority of the population doesn’t get to do anything beyond pubbing. And with the lack of progression in this game, that’s a huge concern. (p.s. I like that you don’t need to level up and farm dungeons but competitive play needs to be a primary substitute to the lack of progress (along with other stuff).

~Mystikkal

• Forge is another indie game… I think the this thread is very relevant to Chivalry

http://www.playforgewar.com/forums/inde … -the-devs/

• I think with the way chivalry works there is no point in ‘competitive play.’ Its too glitchy and weird for that. Plus with random ping spikes and lag, terrible stupid stuff can happen. You dont know if anyone else is breaking the rules (you cant turn off third person in a server) or slightly hacking, or modding, or whatever. The balance isn’t that great, and the core of the combat system - feinting- is basically like flipping a coin.

Plus the game has a relatively low skill ceiling, team based play makes it more complex since you need to work together but still…

I dont see why this game would interest anyone in a competitive way. Seems like you’d just quickly get REALLY annoyed by the bugs and imbalances.

i would like various leaderboards and more detailed stat tracking.

_--------

I continue. Look at the state of the game, how slowly its progressed, and how bloody indie it is. Now i like chivalry, but anything the devs put in the game to try and facilitate ‘competitive play’ would be a disaster. I think its on the community to organize more events, set up websites, make forum threads, steam groups, and get stuff going.

as for the dude posting about how his clan has not scrimmed recently, that is ENTIRELY due to clan leadership. I’ve been in a few clans its not hard to get a scrim going at all.

• To me Chivalry is faaaaaar too buggy and abusing and exploiting to be able to support serious competitive play.

• BF3 is buggy as heck, and it provides competitive play, and clan ladders and whatnot.

• @JCash:

I think with the way chivalry works there is no point in ‘competitive play.’

And yet people seem to be interested in that
    @JCash:

Its too glitchy and weird for that. Plus with random ping spikes and lag, terrible stupid stuff can happen.

Bugs can be fixed (and gradually they are getting fixed), and matchmaking can select servers with decent ping
    @JCash:

You dont know if anyone else is breaking the rules (you cant turn off third person in a server) or slightly hacking, or modding, or whatever. The balance isn’t that great, and the core of the combat system - feinting- is basically like flipping a coin.

It can actually be rather obvious when a player is using exploits. And countless players have already been banned from official servers for doing so. You CAN turn off 3rd person in a server. The balance is quite good, both in 1v1, and in team matches. Feinting is not the core of the combat system, and is not at all like flipping a coin.

@JCash:

Plus the game has a relatively low skill ceiling, team based play makes it more complex since you need to work together but still…

The game has a ridiculously high skill ceiling, and the best players in the game are still finding new ways to improve and learning new skills.

@JCash:

I dont see why this game would interest anyone in a competitive way. Seems like you’d just quickly get REALLY annoyed by the bugs and imbalances.

Bugs? yes. They are annoying as hell and are the main reason why the competitive scene isn’t larger. There are no outstanding balance issues. As I’ve said elsewhere, the reason why skilled players do not call things OP is because the moment you call something OP is the moment you stop trying to learn how to do better against it. The moment you realize the other guy’s weapon isn’t OP is the moment you become able to learn how to beat it. Again, the game is balanced. Perfectly. The mechanics are balanced, if occasionally bugged.

@JCash:

I continue. Look at the state of the game, how slowly its progressed, and how bloody indie it is. Now i like chivalry, but anything the devs put in the game to try and facilitate ‘competitive play’ would be a disaster. I think its on the community to organize more events, set up websites, make forum threads, steam groups, and get stuff going.

Unfortunately, yes, I too doubt torn banner’s ability to actually deliver on any sort of networked matchmaking system, or anything similarly complex. But this is a suggestions thread, and hopefully Torn Banner has made enough money by now to consider hiring a dedicated network programmer to support this sort of thing.

To sum it up, JCash, I can barely tell you’re on the forum for the right game, because half of what you say is just flat out wrong. If you doubt me, I’d be more than happy to fight you and show you how wrong you are. You will loose. Because you do not understand a thing about the game you are insulting, and your opinion is less than useless.

• @hawking

1. invite me into a server with third person turned off and i’ll post a screenshot to my steam profile of me in third person. You cant shut it off.

The rest of what you’re saying is equally wrong.

To me competitive chivalry is a lot like competitive rock paper scissors (which also exists. )

You made a statement, “the game is balanced perfectly” which instantly destroys any credibility you might have.

and perhaps you can beat me in a fight but it would in no way validate your perspective.

• @hawkwing:

@JCash:

I think with the way chivalry works there is no point in ‘competitive play.’

And yet people seem to be interested in that
    @JCash:

Its too glitchy and weird for that. Plus with random ping spikes and lag, terrible stupid stuff can happen.

Bugs can be fixed (and gradually they are getting fixed), and matchmaking can select servers with decent ping
    @JCash:

You dont know if anyone else is breaking the rules (you cant turn off third person in a server) or slightly hacking, or modding, or whatever. The balance isn’t that great, and the core of the combat system - feinting- is basically like flipping a coin.

It can actually be rather obvious when a player is using exploits. And countless players have already been banned from official servers for doing so. You CAN turn off 3rd person in a server. The balance is quite good, both in 1v1, and in team matches. Feinting is not the core of the combat system, and is not at all like flipping a coin.

@JCash:

The game has a ridiculously high skill ceiling, and the best players in the game are still finding new ways to improve and learning new skills.

@JCash:

Bugs? yes. They are annoying as hell and are the main reason why the competitive scene isn’t larger. There are no outstanding balance issues. As I’ve said elsewhere, the reason why skilled players do not call things OP is because the moment you call something OP is the moment you stop trying to learn how to do better against it. The moment you realize the other guy’s weapon isn’t OP is the moment you become able to learn how to beat it. Again, the game is balanced. Perfectly. The mechanics are balanced, if occasionally bugged.

@JCash:

Unfortunately, yes, I too doubt torn banner’s ability to actually deliver on any sort of networked matchmaking system, or anything similarly complex. But this is a suggestions thread, and hopefully Torn Banner has made enough money by now to consider hiring a dedicated network programmer to support this sort of thing.

To sum it up, JCash, I can barely tell you’re on the forum for the right game, because half of what you say is just flat out wrong. If you doubt me, I’d be more than happy to fight you and show you how wrong you are. You will loose. Because you do not understand a thing about the game you are insulting, and your opinion is less than useless.

Give this hawkwing guy a medal.

• @Dubjay:

Give this hawkwing guy a medal.

kk. I posted on your steam profile btw hawk lets get that fight going.

• Hawk that was an impressive thread, couldn’t have said it better myself.

This game has it’s fair share of bugs, but it’s quite balanced and pretty f’ing awesome. I think a lot of people would enjoy this game from an organized play standpoint. I’ve said it before, but will say it again… even if the user base takes a larger initiative on getting competitive play going - it’s very difficult to get anyone but the best players involved. My guess is right now <1% of the population has ever played in a scrim/tourny. What about those guys that aren’t allstars at video games but want to play organized play (the ones that will actually make TB money and keep the game alive)… the people that were in guilds ranked 100 - 5000 in guild wars 1 pvp; the players who arn’t in the top starcraft 2 bracket, etc)? It’s 2013 here - user organized competitive gaming is the old model… this is an important aspect of a game and I just hope Chivalry pursues it… because I love Chivalry and want to see it be [more] successful.

Adding this feature really solves a lot of the question of: chivalry is awesome, but it’s missing something, what is it?

• @Mystikkal:

couldn’t have said it better myself.

Well, I could say the same to you now, you hit it right on the head with your comment on the “casual competitive” scene that many other games have keeping them alive. Unfortunately, it seems JCash has already given out the gold and silver medals, but would a bronze medal be okay?

JCash, you can get honorable mention for being a JPEG hero.

• @hawkwing:

@Mystikkal:

couldn’t have said it better myself.

Well, I could say the same to you now, you hit it right on the head with your comment on the “casual competitive” scene that many other games have keeping them alive. Unfortunately, it seems JCash has already given out the gold and silver medals, but would a bronze medal be okay?

JCash, you can get honorable mention for being a JPEG hero.

I thought it was funny. And This game will never be popular enough to develop a casual competitive scene. In fact i think we’ve witnessed its peak and regardless of what happens. They’d need a large amount of content released as purchasable DLC to drum up more interest, but they can only do that when beta ends. Or if they port it to consoles.

yes, my opinions on the future are facts, take them as such.

• 6:06 PM - int | Hawkwing: well then, want to play that match now?
    6:06 PM - int | Hawkwing: (or later)
    6:09 PM - (Øs) - iris: What class do you play?
    6:09 PM - (Øs) - iris: and congrats
    6:10 PM - int | Hawkwing: knight, typically. And congrats for what, might I ask?
    6:11 PM - (Øs) - iris: winning the dumbest post of the year
    6:11 PM - (Øs) - iris: There was a lot of competition
    6:13 PM - (Øs) - iris: And i dont fight knights, i think they’re op, i only duel against vans or archers
    6:13 PM - (Øs) - iris: till knight gets nerfd
    6:13 PM - (Øs) - iris: or van gets more hp. sorry to waste your time
    6:14 PM - int | Hawkwing: lol, ok then.
    6:19 PM - (Øs) - iris is now Away.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

• I have 2 admit… as poorly thought out as jCash’s post was… that whole medal thing was quite funny