Regarding Bugs and Exploits

• Many of you are frustrated with so many bugs and exploits that show up after each patch. I just want to say be patient. Chivalry hasn’t been around long enough to have a competitively stable build yet. The game really does have some problems which some high level players seem to deny. But devs are working hard to fix them.

Take Starcraft or League of Legends. In the beginning both games had just ridiculous amount of cheap tactics and bugs. League of legends took two years to get a competitively stable build going. Starcraft took more than three years. Chivalry is getting there but it’s kind of hard with not many programmers, and programming is hard. Try going to codeacademy.org and learn some simple HTML, JAVA, and Ruby programming language. These are simplest ones to learn and they don’t even match the level of complexity of the language to use to create games.

Game has some problems but if you are too much frustrated by it, play some different game or take a break. Getting stress from a game that is supposed to be about having fun is not really good for your health, you know?

• maybe try the Beta instead of complaining.

• @elitenoob:

lol u mad bro?

pretending not be mad?

judging from your last 5 posts all over the place u totally mad

maybe try the Beta instead of complaining.

Discussing bugs and raising concerns about them is not the same thing as getting mad.

• @boomandvibe:

Many of you are frustrated with so many bugs and exploits that show up after each patch. I just want to say be patient. Chivalry hasn’t been around long enough to have a competitively stable build yet. The game really does have some problems which some high level players seem to deny. But devs are working hard to fix them.

Take Starcraft or League of Legends. In the beginning both games had just ridiculous amount of cheap tactics and bugs. League of legends took two years to get a competitively stable build going. Starcraft took more than three years. Chivalry is getting there but it’s kind of hard with not many programmers, and programming is hard. Try going to codeacademy.org and learn some simple HTML, JAVA, and Ruby programming language. These are simplest ones to learn and they don’t even match the level of complexity of the language to use to create games.

Game has some problems but if you are too much frustrated by it, play some different game or take a break. Getting stress from a game that is supposed to be about having fun is not really good for your health, you know?

League of Legends in the beginning was GOLD.
    There were brutal op characters (teemo 5 second blind etc), but the gameplay was a thousand more fun.
    So was the chivalry nov. build. Much better

• @tomahawku:

@boomandvibe:

Many of you are frustrated with so many bugs and exploits that show up after each patch. I just want to say be patient. Chivalry hasn’t been around long enough to have a competitively stable build yet. The game really does have some problems which some high level players seem to deny. But devs are working hard to fix them.

There were brutal op characters (teemo 5 second blind etc), but the gameplay was a thousand more fun.

Fun is relative. Balance is much more reliable.

• @tomahawku:

@boomandvibe:

As a former long time LoL player I’m calling BS on this. LoL in the beginning had brush everywhere, much stronger neutral buffs, and absurd team rewards for the much easier to kill boss creeps and towers. The entire metagame was grouping up in a blob from level 1 and never splitting the entire game for more than 30 seconds, otherwise you’d lose control of buffs, dragons, etc. and the game would snowball out of control. Ganking and laning wasn’t profitable at all by comparison. The game was also horrifically imbalanced because of this, revolving around a few select characters who worked best with low level roaming blob strategies.

Of course recently the game has stagnated with an almost equally unfun metagame being encouraged by the developers for some reason. This is why I prefer DotA. When an emergent metagame forces certain playstyles to be dominant, the frog hops in and stomps on it. Eventually something new arises, but it keeps the game always evolving and never stale.

Anyway I digress. Even I get frustrated by some of the bugs in Chivalry, but right now I’m mostly frustrated about the delays in the patch. It was very bad timing with Valve delaying the beta release a week and then PAX preventing us from working on it for a few days. I just really can’t wait to start testing Patch 2, because we’ve got a lot of ideas for the combat mechanics.

• @SlyGoat:

@tomahawku:

@boomandvibe:

[Boring LoL stuff]

Anyway I digress. Even I get frustrated by some of the bugs in Chivalry, but right now I’m mostly frustrated about the delays in the patch. It was very bad timing with Valve delaying the beta release a week and then PAX preventing us from working on it for a few days. I just really can’t wait to start testing Patch 2, because we’ve got a lot of ideas for the combat mechanics.

Orly. Core mechanics or like, “we’d like to make feint a little slower and make sprint attack better”?

• @Daiyuki:

Orly. Core mechanics or like, “we’d like to make feint a little slower and make sprint attack better”?

Probably across the board. Core mechanics, New mechanics, Old mechanics, etc

• @boomandvibe:

Make sure you guys beta test too! If you know a problem that pisses you off. Go to the beta and see if it still persists. And if it does, go to the beta section and let your voice be heard! As a community we can shed light on the serious issues. And now that TBS is finally getting a real studio, things will get done much quicker. I can’t wait to see how things go.

• @ChuckingIt:

Make sure you guys beta test too! If you know a problem that pisses you off. Go to the beta and see if it still persists.

Obviously you have not visited beta lol… its been down for a week.

• @gregcau:

@ChuckingIt:

Make sure you guys beta test too! If you know a problem that pisses you off. Go to the beta and see if it still persists.

Obviously you have not visited beta lol… its been down for a week.

More of a general going forward thing. Geez greg, way to bust me balls >_<

• I agree, patience needs to be employed. It’s not a virtue because it slept with lord Xenu.

It’s easier said than done when you die in-game to bugs, cheap tactics, or exploits; yet it doesn’t happen so often that it breaks the game for me. I still have a blast, which is why I’m still around and plan to be for quite a while more.

I tried to learn HTML a while back… learning to solve a rubiks cube was childsplay compared to that. And it’s not even difficult code.

• The game will continue to get better as time goes on, it just may take awhile for it. It is true that people typically have more fun in “broken” games than “balanced” ones, but I think most people can agree that balanced ones go further and last longer. I’m just scared of patches that fix things only to break others. No amount of beta testing can prepare one for that because sometimes thousands of people are needed to discover broken technology, which is why most games seem the most fun when they’re new: because people haven’t discovered all the broken stuff yet.

• @SlyGoat:

@tomahawku:

@boomandvibe:

As a former long time LoL player I’m calling BS on this. LoL in the beginning had brush everywhere, much stronger neutral buffs, and absurd team rewards for the much easier to kill boss creeps and towers. The entire metagame was grouping up in a blob from level 1 and never splitting the entire game for more than 30 seconds, otherwise you’d lose control of buffs, dragons, etc. and the game would snowball out of control. Ganking and laning wasn’t profitable at all by comparison. The game was also horrifically imbalanced because of this, revolving around a few select characters who worked best with low level roaming blob strategies.

Of course recently the game has stagnated with an almost equally unfun metagame being encouraged by the developers for some reason. This is why I prefer DotA. When an emergent metagame forces certain playstyles to be dominant, the frog hops in and stomps on it. Eventually something new arises, but it keeps the game always evolving and never stale.

How about we just get some fixes for attacking through blocking volumes and character collision improvements, then worry about content?

• @Skyydragonn:

How about we just get some fixes for attacking through blocking volumes and character collision improvements, then worry about content?

It’s been stated by countless devs that that is the point of CU1 patch 2. Also, patching is mostly done by programmers. The artsy-fartsy guys can go work on new helmets content while Crusty and co are fixin’ the bugs. 8-)

• I’m back from PAX :D Everything is good and better than expected. Don’t worry about balance and design, the devs have got it figured out for the most part. Just give them time to implement things and test them :)

• @Dr.Nick:

I’m back from PAX :D Everything is good and better than expected. Don’t worry about balance and design, the devs have got it figured out for the most part. Just give them time to implement things and test them :)

That’s really good news but did you actually isolate control and test or did you just play like normal?

• @Daiyuki:

MOSTLY the latter, obviously; but we’ve got some pretty significant changes in the pipeline as well.

• @boomandvibe:

@Dr.Nick:

I’m back from PAX :D Everything is good and better than expected. Don’t worry about balance and design, the devs have got it figured out for the most part. Just give them time to implement things and test them :)

That’s really good news but did you actually isolate control and test or did you just play like normal?

?? I just talked to them silly!

• @Dr.Nick:

?? I just talked to them silly!

lol