Weapon Durability System

• There seem to be enough threads on armor/weapon customization, so I will try something different.

I was thinking that Chivalry can implement some sort of weapon durability system. Pretty much, game can add a separate bar, much like the stamina bar, but for your weapon. Every time you block, parry, or even bang your weapon on the wall or group, the meter builds up. When the meter is full, your weapon breaks. The meter builds up faster depending on which weapon you are using and which weapon you are blocking. So if you’re an archer using a dagger and you block a Knight’s Grand Mace, you dagger breaks after 1 successful block. Once your weapon is broken, you can still continue to fight with it, only difference is that it has decreased range and attack.

The only way this weapon durability system would work is if they also introduce a drop/pickup weapon system. Game can add a feature which allows you to drop your current weapon and pickup the deceased enemy’s weapon, so that you can swap a broken weapon with a new one.

And with this system in play, you might ask, so can an archer pickup a Knight’s two hand weapon or a Vanguard pickup a Bow?… The answer is yes! However if you are a weak archer and you attempt to pickup a heavy two hand weapon, you can use it, but with penalized speed. Same goes for a non-archer class picking up a Bow. You can use it but your aiming will be impaired, your windup speed will be increased and your reloading time will be delayed.

The weapon durability system came to mind because I find it absolutely ridiculous how archers are able to block my Claymore with a flimsy dagger. It just don’t make sense. At the very least, they should make it consume more stamina when 1 handers are blocking 2 handers.

Please feel free to discuss.

• I’m not entirely sure what to think about this idea but I do appreciate the suggestion however, there have been plenty of threads on shields having durability but none on weapons so props for thinking up a cool new idea :)

It can be difficult to stretch your willing suspension of disbelief when a butter knife can block a mighty blade of death.
    Personally I see it like an snk fighting game, where if some one is using quick attacks on me and I can’t get any heavy hits in,I either…
    .1 wait for the opportune moment
    or
    .2 switch to my secondary which is usually quick enough to match my opponents blows.

That’s just my two bits though.

About the Durability System, I think it would be interesting to see what kind of new combat opportunity’s could open up using this system.

• your idea is nice but if an archer weapon for close combat will break with one defence and make it even weaker it will make the archer underpowered class so maybe let the durability different from what you suggested it one way or another (dont have anything in my head right now).
    and about the kits pick up maybe you could pick only you class kits archers can pick only archers MAA can pick only MAA kits and so on…

• No. Just no. God, no.

No, I don’t plan to elaborate on that. Just plain no.

• no… and yes.

No because it would be annoying, game is cool the way it is.

Yes because this can possibly turn into a mod for someone’s server, I’d rather it not be directly implemented into the game by the devs.

I don’t want it be a no-matter-what your weapons breaks type thing, just for playing this game.

• @Dick:

No. Just no. God, no.

Agreed.

• I’m going with NO. Having classes pick up weapons from other classes is just asking the bugs to move in and watch the telly.

Although, it would be a nice feature for archers to have the ability to block with their bow, but the bow would break on a successful block. Then the archer has to find and kill another archer to steal the bow. That could separate the COD players from the skirmishers, but probably they’d just F10 to respawn.

• I’d rather like to see a feature the mod Age of Chivalry had but Chivalry the game lacks.

I’m talking about taking damage when the weapon of your opponent is bigger and more powerful than your own.
    Seriously, an Archer blocking the Maul or Grandmace with a Hunting Knife? :D
    That shit would break both his arms and crash his body apart.

I don’t really know why they don’t have this feature in, maybe too afraid of whiny archers who can’t slash-stab you to death anymore.

But weapon durability?
    You got 10 seconds to tell me the name of a game where durability was/is a good idea.

Sorry, time’s out. :P

Picking up other classes weapons?

Imagine the Heavy from TeamFortress 2 with a Rocketlauncher. It’s just wrong. :?

• @TheUndying:

You got 10 seconds to tell me the name of a game where durability was/is a good idea.

Way of the Samurai

I like this idea, back in Medieval time. Weapons breaking is pretty common in a long battle and soldier picking fallen soldier’s weapon up isn’t a unusual sight.

But, what if the damage meter slowly decrease like health? So it make me feel like I am resharpening my weapon. :P

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

@Dick Nation:

No. Just no. God, no.

Agreed.

+1

To add to this. Most people lives in Chivalry don’t seem to last that long. So do players get a brand new weapon each time they spawn, or do they keep their damaged weapons?

If they get a new one then what’s the point? Most people die pretty quick in the game so any damage gained will be reset before the weapon breaks.

If players keep their damaged weapon when respawning then where do they get a new weapon? Will they have to “buy” a new one (Which would require in-game currency/spending experience points) and I don’t think that would really fit in with Chivalry.

Furthermore, this just seems to punish players who do really well and manage to survive a long time. If they manage to kill a load of people only to have their weapon break it’d be a kick in the teeth for them. Another problem is what happens when you can’t find a weapon nearby that your class can use. You’d be punished further for this.

Though I agree that hunting knives and small weapons shouldn’t be able to block hammers and two handed weapons. I don’t think this is the right way to get around the problem.

• Beck, why the hell do you write +1, if you blatantly disagree with the posts you are quoting. They are clearly stating: “I don’t plan to elaborate on that. Just plain no.” and you still feel the need to add a wall of text of arguments to support them?!

• @EricFong:

Way of the Samurai

I LOVE that game

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Beck, why the hell do you write +1, if you blatantly disagree with the posts you are quoting. They are clearly stating: “I don’t plan to elaborate on that. Just plain no.” and you still feel the need to add a wall of text of arguments to support them?!

I was agreeing with the “No, just no.” statement and then chose to elaborate.

• @TheUndying:

I don’t really know why they don’t have this feature in, maybe too afraid of whiny archers who can’t slash-stab you to death anymore.

If you can’t beat an archer in melee with all the other advantages other classes have over them, I’d be very careful about calling anybody else whiny.

• I don’t think swords broke after like 14 minutes of fighting?

• @Riuuii:

I don’t think swords broke after like 14 minutes of fighting?

Indeed, some soldiers kept the same weapons all their lives, maintaining them before and after each battle…… their weapons sometimes even made it to legend.

Besides, this isn’t Far Cry 2.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!