Warhammer way too good?

• I’ve unlocked all the knight weapons but now I try to avoid using the war hammer because I just feel its way, way too easy to use. It has grand mace damage with much faster swings plus you can use a shield with it. I really feel all the other knight weapons are balanced but the war hammer is literally a more damaging flanged mace and is the one weapon I feel you can use at all times (with two handers I often have to switch to my secondaries depending on what i’m fighting against). I haven’t seen people talking about the balance of this weapon like I have others so I was wondering what everyone’s opinions were?

• Its rather good due to being hard to block, but with Beta blocking is easier due to a fix so it should be balanced out.

• I feel the length balances it out. It’s stab is also silly. Not a weapon that I find hard to deal with.

• Yeah its a powerful weapon but its low speed and range basically makes you food for MAAs. A good knight/vg with a long weapon could probably keep you at bay as well.

I find the mace way more OP since its way faster and kills everything in 2 hits except for knight.

• It’s way too op. You’re constantly 2hitting knights with it, that should not be happening.

• If it couldn’t 2-shot a knight is would be useless. Some weapons are good but the warhammer is hardly overshadowing other knight weapons in popularity.

• I felt compelled to make an account just to reply to this silliness.

The Warhammer is not OP. It is short and slow and can only 2-hit Knights if one of those hits is a headshot, meaning there is some skill involved in getting those 2-hits. If you hit a Knight twice in the torso, you suddenly have a short, slow 3-hitter which is outclassed by MAA weapons like the dane axe.

Its damage values arent even comparable to the Grand Mace. Grand Mace OH will 1-hit archers in the head, the Warhammer will not.

It’s meant to be an anti-knight weapon and does pretty well against Vanguards if they let you get close enough (2-hits even in the torso), but is useless against MAA’s since it’s so slow.

• It usually is only really annoying if you are a knight and the enemy with the warhammer is simply going for hit trades, plus some facehug-issues.

• against archers you want a fast weapon, they can´t take more than two hits anyway
    • same against a M@A, that thing is not only slow and short but has a long recovery on top of it
    • it gives a very slight edge against vanguards when compared to f.e. the flanged mace because it will two-hit them a bit more frequently, though you have to play their huge range against your tiny one
    • it is good against knights but it takes a headshot to make it worthwhile

All other classes besides the knight will often die in two hits anyway and that with faster and/or longer reach weapons. I sometimes find myself raging about it, but only because as a main-knight I am not used to dying that fast, at least not to relatively speedy weapons (it is much easier to anticipate that when your enemy has a maul or grand mace).

So, the warhammer is a knightslayer, and can be quite effective at that. But it has plenty of shortcomings and is far from outclassing the other knight primaries.

Maybe the hammer has an edge over players who either lack defense because it can overwhelm a player relatively fast as well as players who are too reckless as it usually wins hit trades… but not against a balanced opponent

• @Lizzipoos:

It’s way too op. You’re constantly 2hitting knights with it, that should not be happening.

This was the purpose of the warhammer in RL, although, the “warhammer” in the game is not actually a warhammer, its called something else.
    I was unable to find its proper name on the internets :? The weapon modeled in CMW by TB is the short, one hand, but heavy, weapon designed to be fast and pierce armour. Typically its blows did not cause mortal injuries however its design caused armour to continue to poke into flesh after the weapon was removed, leaving the injured limb pretty much immobile and this enabled the foe to then be finished off.

So it should really operate a bit differently, faster and shorter, and maybe drain stamina to simulate the weapons effect. Or they could just model a real warhammer and make the weapon longer and slower but keep the damage the same. Google images is your friend for warhammer images. Think of the diablo 1 warhammer. But then CMW would just have another mace.

edit:
    Closest i can find at the moment is the ‘horseman’s pick’. Elizabeth the 1st was reputed to have the next version along which is 35-40cm long.

• The way the warhammer is right now in this current game version, it’s completely fucked. Because of all of the bugs in this current game version, the weapon is much harder to parry than it should be and since it kills a knight in 2 hits. It’s over much to quickly. There was no issue with this weapon before the content update. It was pretty fairly balanced. I hope this gets fixed in this next patch which is hopefully to be released this week. Hopefully.

• I think the war hammer should be a vanguard weapon, not knight, and then it would be balanced.

• @Arthur:

I think the war hammer should be a vanguard weapon, not knight, and then it would be balanced.

All vanguard primaries are two handed lengthy weapons. The war hammer doesn’t fit in any way for vanguard to wield. What they should do, is make pole hammer decent.

• Well all knight weapons are also 2H, with the exception of the warhammer:) It’s only the swords that can be wielded as both 1H and 2H. But I agree, it does not fit really. But that bastard hammer is really longer than it seems.

• And at the moment the pole hammer is relatively short and far to predictable to be of much use against high level players.

• @Harbinger:

The way the warhammer is right now in this current game version, it’s completely fucked. Because of all of the bugs in this current game version, the weapon is much harder to parry than it should be and since it kills a knight in 2 hits. It’s over much to quickly. There was no issue with this weapon before the content update. It was pretty fairly balanced. I hope this gets fixed in this next patch which is hopefully to be released this week. Hopefully.

That’s my thoughts. I didn’t get to play much before GU1, but ever since the thing is super hard to block, definitely one of the worst. That makes it very bad, but if you could just block it there would be no problems.

• @giantyak:

This was the purpose of the warhammer in RL, although, the “warhammer” in the game is not actually a warhammer, its called something else.

Well, where I come from, such hammer-like weapons with a flat end and a spike are known as “Raven`s Beak” (Rabenschnabel) and yes, those are anti-armor weapons.

As I said before besides some wanky blocking the Warhammer is fine und would be seriously sub-par if it couldn´t two-hit knights. As much as it annoys me sometimes…

• @Tankcommander:

That’s my thoughts. I didn’t get to play much before GU1, but ever since the thing is super hard to block, definitely one of the worst. That makes it very bad, but if you could just block it there would be no problems.

In Beta it can be blocked much more easily, so when they eventually release Beta it will become a non-issue.

• I don’t think the damage is an issue, because that’s the whole point of the warhammer: to be effective vs knights (and vgs).

• @amrtin:

I feel the length balances it out. It’s stab is also silly. Not a weapon that I find hard to deal with.

Agreed… I like using it from time to time, but it’s range and it’s slightly slower speed than the flanged mace balance it out with it’s damage abilities.

A lot of people are able to block it now a days. I used to dominate a lot of players with it after the patch, but it’s a lot more challenging these days. I tend to stick with the Flanged Mace / Long Sword / Kite Shield… sometimes I’ll switch to the Broad Sword or Falchion.

But when I’m feeling “Creative” I’ll switch to the War Hammer or Maul in order to work on my “Art” 8-)

@giantyak:

@Lizzipoos:

It’s way too op. You’re constantly 2hitting knights with it, that should not be happening.

I was unable to find its proper name on the internets :? The weapon modeled in CMW by TB is the short, one hand, but heavy, weapon designed to be fast and pierce armour. Typically its blows did not cause mortal injuries however its design caused armour to continue to poke into flesh after the weapon was removed, leaving the injured limb pretty much immobile and this enabled the foe to then be finished off.

So it should really operate a bit differently, faster and shorter, and maybe drain stamina to simulate the weapons effect. Or they could just model a real warhammer and make the weapon longer and slower but keep the damage the same. Google images is your friend for warhammer images. Think of the diablo 1 warhammer. But then CMW would just have another mace.

edit:
    Closest i can find at the moment is the ‘horseman’s pick’. Elizabeth the 1st was reputed to have the next version along which is 35-40cm long.

War Hammer can be a generic term used for both small and large weapons shaped like a hammer which is used in combat.

Typically:

War Hammer
    [image:619978mr]http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/S5730-1000.jpg[/image:619978mr]

or other variants
    [image:619978mr]http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1342/75/1342758994915.jpg[/image:619978mr]

Maul
    [image:619978mr]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-COVagZG6zi0/UDtw_U94jYI/AAAAAAAACOc/SNKCCd84U7M/s1600/MaulHammer.jpg[/image:619978mr]

And upon my digging, I came across this chubby little fellow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhknaG9ifbs

If you wanted to get real nit picky towards fighting people with the War Hammer, one hit should kill everybody, including Knights. 2-3 hits seems fair for gameplay balance. If the above fellow can do what he did with it, I imagine a more fitter, trained Knight could do worse.

• AKA the two-hit quitter