FEINTS NEED FIXED!!!

• Honestly I don’t even know what to say about feints. I dont want them removed, but something has to change. This game needs to be skill based, instead of luck. I think blocking needs something more to make it viable to block a feint. Or change feinting. An idea I had was if you feint, the next attack you throw within 2 or so seconds is 50%+ slower and you cannot feint again for 3-5 seconds. Maybe more. to prevent spam. There should also be something that tells you when you can attack at normal speed aswell as when you can feint. Ex. flashing icons, grunting(maybe). This is just a general idea for people to go off of. Hopefully we see something like this in the future. Thanks for reading.

• As you said, this game needs to be based in skill. Nevertheless, once you are able to read feints the feeling is priceless.

• I’m pretty sure things have been said about feints… we’re all aware bro… wait

in addition to ALL of the other suggestions, what if feints were parry-able? Like if you were close enough, someone were to windup and feint, during windup maybe you could parry them, causing the little parry knockback resetting both players. Or… just get rid of combo feints, if you successfully feint+get the attack, you cannot feint any longer after that first attack, unless you start a new series. That way you can’t keep combo feinting someone all the way to death. I would however like feint to parry to remain so this will be tough, although feint to parry would only require one feint anyhow.

• @clayton-bigsby:

I’m pretty sure things have been said about feints… we’re all aware bro… wait

in addition to ALL of the other suggestions, what if feints were parry-able? Like if you were close enough, someone were to windup and feint, during windup maybe you could parry them, causing the little parry knockback resetting both players. Or… just get rid of combo feints, if you successfully feint+get the attack, you cannot feint any longer after that first attack, unless you start a new series. That way you can’t keep combo feinting someone all the way to death. I would however like feint to parry to remain so this will be tough, although feint to parry would only require one feint anyhow.

Sorry I don’t D-ride the forums bro.

• @clayton-bigsby:

I’m pretty sure things have been said about feints… we’re all aware bro… wait

Sorry I don’t D-ride the forums bro.

• Reading feints is the highest skill ceiling a Chivalry player can reach.

After all the swing dragging and ducking and movement manipulation, countering feints successfully is like the end-game skill to master.

Plus, 3 out out of the 4 classes have built-in defenses against feints. Knights have shields, man at arms can dodge and have shields, archer can hit from long range before needing to worry about a feinting opponent, also they have a shield too.

• it’s currently not a skill you CAN master unfortunately due to weapons having too long of a feint-able window. There are weapons even in which the character still grunts when feinting. Even knowing windup times, some weapons can feint so late into the windup that the defending players SMART response WOULD be to parry… however, they still feint. You can wait all day for some weapons but there comes a time in the windup where parrying is the thing to do at that point, yet they can still feint. So right now, for certain weapons, it’s simply a guessing game and not really skill based. Usualy once they connect an attack, you just have to reset and think to yourself “well, better parry the next one i guess”.

It does take skill i agree to deal with the feints and judge them, but unfortunately you cannot judge all feints with actual methods other than a guess for certain weapons. Sad but true. This is why they need work. Most competetive players are fine with feints, and even fine with the way they are now… but i think most would agree that they need tweaks.

• To be brutally honest, the most effective opposition to feinting is playing as if you were a noob: never parry, just keep swinging.
    Like the dude in poker that always goes all in no matter what, this is something pros can’t logically work with as its nonsensical, and its at least something to do.

Sadly, this does mean all of the point of tactical fighting and options etc goes out the window and its just all about random mash fast0r, mash m0ar, which is kinda the opposite of why there even is a feint.

Ironic.

• When the moon is blue I see a feint on the pub TO servers.

Duel servers if you have a shield you see them occasionally.

So really its the two-handers who like their nasty combos that hate feints.

• Really the most effective way to avoid feints is to make their swing miss altogether. Usually you can do that by turning and sprinting away for about half a second. The shorter range the opponent has, the more likely this will work.

But against long range weapons like what vanguards have… like SomeDudeOnAForum said, you have to stay aggressive. The opponent is very unlikely to commit to a feint if you are constantly threatening him with attacks. Then if he doesn’t feint, you can feint-parry and retaliate.

• @gregcau:

When the moon is blue I see a feint on the pub TO servers.

Duel servers if you have a shield you see them occasionally.

So really its the two-handers who like their nasty combos that hate feints.

Where are you fighting then? Random duel mode is not representative just as random TO isn’t.

• This is VS the really good players.

problem with feints is that you can accelerate your hits into inta hits after windup, combined with feinting during the whole windup. The only way to see through the feints is the 0.2sec (2h) or 0.3sec (1h) cooldown window. Otherwise it’s just a educated guess really.

Human reflexes are average around 0.2 sec, so responding to it even after seeing it with 2handers you only got like 0.05 sec to start windup to attack.

Example:

Enemy uses Longsword overhead 0.5 sec windup –> you observe the windup, during the 0.4-0-6 sec he will either feint or hit you.
    So what do you do?
    (mindgames)
    -block at the last moment (0.4sec), thinking he is not going to feint from the start
    -don’t block, start windup.

This is what it goes down to. You can so some stuff before the 0.4 sec to try to block it, but at the 0.4sec this is unblockable with skill alone.

You could try an early block, but If the enemy is really good, if you block at 0.3 sec he will see it faint it and do an attack again hitting you during your block recovery.

Imo, faints need longer cooldown or something. It’s a good concept but OP currently. OR make you only feint during before you have 0.2sec left of the windup, so longsword can only feint at 0.0-0.3sec. That way it is humanly possible to react.

• @AbyssusAther:

As you said, this game needs to be based in skill. Nevertheless, once you are able to read feints the feeling is priceless.

Ha! You hit the nail with the maul there!

Best ones are people feinting 5 times in a row, and you just stand there looking stupid at them untill you block their attack. They always start panic blocking. Then you start chopping ^^

• @clayton-bigsby:

it’s currently not a skill you CAN master unfortunately due to weapons having too long of a feint-able window. There are weapons even in which the character still grunts when feinting. Even knowing windup times, some weapons can feint so late into the windup that the defending players SMART response WOULD be to parry… however, they still feint. You can wait all day for some weapons but there comes a time in the windup where parrying is the thing to do at that point, yet they can still feint. So right now, for certain weapons, it’s simply a guessing game and not really skill based. Usualy once they connect an attack, you just have to reset and think to yourself “well, better parry the next one i guess”.

It does take skill i agree to deal with the feints and judge them, but unfortunately you cannot judge all feints with actual methods other than a guess for certain weapons. Sad but true. This is why they need work. Most competetive players are fine with feints, and even fine with the way they are now… but i think most would agree that they need tweaks.

What type of weapons are you refering to exactly?

• I say simply add an ability to hold parry up for a very short time, balance it just long enough to ward off the everyday overhead->overhead feint. It’d make the parry mechanic smoother and feel more accurate. The only reason people hate feints is because there is no defense against them. Improved parry mechanic = balanced feint mechanic.