Discussion: How to reduce "Face Hugging?"/"Face Hugging"

• I’ve always liked that idea of having a chargeable kick. Tap to set off fast but no damage or shield stun, hold to do damage and shield stun. I don’t really want the shield stun kick to be removed entirely (or the damage, which is actually an under-appreciated finisher).

• @gregcau:

So fix the parrying of face huggers and this becomes a non-issue.

this seems like a great idea

but at the same time I wouldn’t want parrying to become too easy…

• @bada:

Change kick to a quick knockback with no stun? I’m game. Also I’d remove the damaging aspect of it if you went that route.

If you had actually bothered to read the thread you would have seen this suggested multiple times.

@gregcau:

I think the wrong problem is being focused on.

You want to reduce face hugging not because in itself it is bad, but because of the ability of the facehugger to hit you from weird angles.

We talked about this as a solution many times :\ You guys were even saying we shouldn’t do it in the other thread.

• @Dr.Nick:

@bada:

Change kick to a quick knockback with no stun? I’m game. Also I’d remove the damaging aspect of it if you went that route.

If you had actually bothered to read the thread you would have seen this suggested multiple times.

Nothing wrong with showing support for your favoured solution.

@Dr.Nick:

@gregcau:

I think the wrong problem is being focused on.

You want to reduce face hugging not because in itself it is bad, but because of the ability of the facehugger to hit you from weird angles.

We talked about this as a solution many times :\ You guys were even saying we shouldn’t do it in the other thread.

Because some of us don’t believe it’s broken. Making it too easy to parry in facehug range basically removes any chance of a decent player being hit.

• @NabsterHax:

Because some of us don’t believe it’s broken. Making it too easy to parry in facehug range basically removes any chance of a decent player being hit.

also pretty much removes the only upside for one handed weapons

they ain’t got range, and they ain’t got damage, making em too easy to block pretty much nerfs em the hardest

• they ain’t got range, and they ain’t got damage, making em too easy to block pretty much nerfs em the hardest

Their advantage is their speed, not being unblockable…

• @Holy.Death:

they ain’t got range, and they ain’t got damage, making em too easy to block pretty much nerfs em the hardest

the whole point of speed is to get around blocks
    the whole upside to one handed weapons is that they are harder to block because they hit faster

it sure ain’t meant to get the first hit against weapons longer than them, namely every single two handed ever

• @BB:

@Holy.Death:

the whole point of speed is to get around blocks
    the whole upside to one handed weapons is that they are harder to block because they hit faster

it sure ain’t meant to get the first hit against weapons longer than them, namely every single two handed ever

This, the weapons are fast enough to be able to overcome people with slower reaction times. It’s rewarding to counter fast facehugging hits attempting to go for my sides with proper footwork and reaction time. I don’t think people need their hand held for blocking flanking hits.

• Don’t make defense too much better. Enough teams camp it out using double archer that being the offensive one is somewhat of a risk. The balance right now is pretty good, melee die quickly when poorly played I just want TB to fix the desyncs.

• I agree that speed should be the MAA’s strength, but it already is so I don’t see your points. Facehugging isn’t just a MAA issue. EVERY CLASS CAN ABUSE IT and everyone does because its nearly unstoppable. Don’t you want this game to be more than just facehugging? obviously not. I think all you guys missed the title it’s “How to reduce facehugging” not “Don’t reduce facehugging its fine we facehug all day”. It’s not fine that’s why so many people complain about it. You all want it to remain because you don’t have enough skill to get around blocks without exploiting. If you were any good you would want this fixed immediately because you know how ridiculous it is. But noobs will do anything to keep they’re power. “Don’t nerf me, I can’t win without my Facehugging attacks that go through blocks QQ” Is all i’m reading. These are the same kids that would defend the falchion if it 1 shot every class. Same kids that would defend the hatchet I’m sure too. Facehugging would still be effective if you couldn’t ghost through people and hit them instantly with lookdown attacks that still somehow do damage.

Does it make sense for an attack to hit for full damage when there is visually no swing?? Would a axe hit me for full damage if someone tapped it lightly on my armored shoulder? Obviously there’s a limit to the game’s realism, but this should definitely be considered. And ghost swinging through people’s bodies to hit them from the other side as if nothing is there?? Or what about that attack that goes right through your sword to hit you only because you didn’t put it at the center of your screen?? These are things everyone sees when they play this game which is probably why this game has half the popularity it should. If more realistic elements were added to this game in the right areas, I would play it a ton more and I’m sure others would too.

• Riddle me this, riddle me this.

How do I hit people with weapons such as the falchion/war axe/hatchet/daggers/any of the other shorter range weapons for any of the classes without falling into the face hugging range category?

My point being, there’s a fine line between face hugging and simply being within the effective range of these weapons. Face hugging is a part of chivalry. It happens, you can’t always be in control of every precise movement you do and your opponent and some times it just places you within that fabled “face hug” range. I’ve now come to accept this and I’ve seen the errors of my ways. :(

Now I’m not even sure whether a nerf or any change is even needed… :|

• @Ruku:

I think all you guys missed the title it’s “How to reduce facehugging” not “Don’t reduce facehugging its fine we facehug all day”. It’s not fine that’s why so many people complain about it.

First of all, I’ve read the title. The wording doesn’t matter - it’s a discussion on facehugging: pros, cons, potential tweaks. People complain about stuff all the time, however I haven’t seen the majority of the Chivalry community on here complaining. Being more vocal doesn’t make you a majority, nor does it make you right. People complain without knowing the consequences of what would happen if their complaint was “fixed.” This is why we are discussing it. Many players believe that the opportunity to face-hug is necessary, and if you read the thread you’d see why.

@Ruku:

You all want it to remain because you don’t have enough skill to get around blocks without exploiting. If you were any good you would want this fixed immediately because you know how ridiculous it is. But noobs will do anything to keep they’re power. “Don’t nerf me, I can’t win without my Facehugging attacks that go through blocks QQ” Is all i’m reading. These are the same kids that would defend the falchion if it 1 shot every class. Same kids that would defend the hatchet I’m sure too. Facehugging would still be effective if you couldn’t ghost through people and hit them instantly with lookdown attacks that still somehow do damage.

This part contributes nothing. Maybe you’re the noob who can’t win without nerfing face-hugging. “Nerf face-hugging, I can’t win when someone face-hugs me and I don’t know how to block!” The majority of high-level players can consistently block face-hug range attacks, or position themselves so that face-hugging doesn’t become a problem. Please don’t try to insult anyone defending the current state of the game, because they probably know a heck of a lot more about it than you. (Oh, and I’m pretty sure most high-level players aren’t children, and most of them certainly post with a lot more maturity than you do.)

@Ruku:

Does it make sense for an attack to hit for full damage when there is visually no swing?? Would a axe hit me for full damage if someone tapped it lightly on my armored shoulder? Obviously there’s a limit to the game’s realism, but this should definitely be considered.

Argument of game balance is irrelevant to realism. Realism is welcome in areas where it would contribute to balance.

@Ruku:

And ghost swinging through people’s bodies to hit them from the other side as if nothing is there??

This is a bug that definitely needs fixing. It has nothing to do with face-hugging.

Pretty sure you didn’t read even half of this thread.

• @Dr.Nick:

@bada:

Classy moderation.

Problem with quick knockback is people would spam it.

I have an idea, how about not fixing something that isn’t broken.

• perhaps a slightly larger collision box might be useful in tandem with some other changes? Not a great solution but if facehugging causes fast weapons to hax through parries then honestly thats one of the better solutions i can think of

• oh looks like that was already suggested. My mistake.

• @holdenmcclure:

perhaps a slightly larger collision box might be useful in tandem with some other changes? Not a great solution but if facehugging causes fast weapons to hax through parries then honestly thats one of the better solutions i can think of

they don’t hax through though
    lag compensation gives the hit to the attacker, even though it looks like it should be blocked on your screen

people just aren’t reacting fast enough
    and they are barking up the wrong tree in trying to fix this

• I think you’ve lost me BB. What you’re saying is that lag makes it appear as though you blocked it correctly, but you actually didn’t, and it gives the advantage to the person sprinting and face hugging and wildly swinging, and that’s a good thing? If there’s disconnect from what you’re seeing and what’s actually happening, I’d say that’s a problem regardless of circumstances, and while lag will never not be an issue, you should always strive to mask it or make it less of a problem.

• @holdenmcclure:

I think you’ve lost me BB. What you’re saying is that lag makes it appear as though you blocked it correctly, but you actually didn’t, and it gives the advantage to the person sprinting and face hugging and wildly swinging, and that’s a good thing?

no, that’s just a thing that happens
    and to block those swings you need to react faster than what you are doing right now

@holdenmcclure:

If there’s disconnect from what you’re seeing and what’s actually happening, I’d say that’s a problem regardless of circumstances, and while lag will never not be an issue, you should always strive to mask it or make it less of a problem.

this is completely true
    though really I don’t think much can be done about it, and the levels of lag compensation in the game are already pretty great

• I would like to bring up that if you don’t think tracers (or parry boxes or arms colliding or any of the other suggestions we’ve had) should be changed to allow for accurate parrying up close then you at least need a mechanic that can push players back because as it is right now you can just sprint into enemies all day long and there’s nothing they can do.

• how are tracers inaccurate in any way?