From the Grave…

• I don’t know if this has been suggested, but it would be nice to have a couple of things regarding “from the grave”. What i mean is from the grave kills, say you fire a projectile like an arrow, javelin, firepot, hatchet, or throwing knives… and then you die while its in transit. Currently, the projectile won’t have any effect after you die, or maybe it dissapears in the air. I would love to be able to kill people from the grave. I think the only time this happens is when you dump an oil pot on the objectives, you may see the kills come after you die. but for projectiles etc, they don’t register. I think if you get the projectile off, it should travel no matter what, even if you died, it’s still on it’s way and it should hit. So if i got a firepot off at someone, it should hurt them and potentially allow me to kill them “from the grave”. Lots of other gmaes implement this, particularly most FPS’s allow kills from the grave with grenades mostly.

This would also help in objectives, like if i got a torch off at the pyre but get killed right after tossing it. Or ballista shots on the palisade wall, or at the ships. This may already be a thing for the objectives but theres no way for me to tell. For one the objective meter currenlty doesn’t work, so if i knew for sure that my team was NOT on the ballista, and i got the last shot off and it registers and we win, that would be the only way to tell. But currently, if this is not a thing it should be. If i get the shot off and then die, the shot should still go forth and do the damage.

This would also be cool in duels, i’ve had a number of duels, even today that end with both players within 1 hit, no weapon would NOT kill each player. Even a kick would kill both. Then you end up hit trading, even if it seems to hit at the exact same time, it basically comes down to the game being the referee and making a call. Id love for draws to be able to happen. Or in other game modes, the 2 would just kill each other.

What you guys think?

• I agree3, I don’t see why this shouldn’t be added.

• Absolutely agreed. Post-humous kills FOR ALL! :D

• Projectiles continuing their existence after death is something that Tibbs really wants too. It hasn’t really been looked into too much at this time and the current line of thinking is that it’s just some default Unreal Engine 3 thing that will take some TLC by the programmers to fix. They’ve just been busy with … those other things :x

• awesome to hear, yeah… def low low low low low priority lol

• Nice to hear that this may be implemented eventually.

I wonder though, will this also work for melee weapons? Sometimes as I die I see the weapon connect on my screen (especially with stabs). Would they implement it so if I died and my weapon did connect that my attacker could also die?

I think it’d look pretty awesome if someone killed me and he died with my sword impaled in his stomach :P

• I’ve only ever seen simultaneous deaths in games with lag compensation. I think it’s an engine limitation that projectiles vanish when their owner dies because they aren’t considered their own unique objects but a projectile that belongs to someone, basically a really extended hit tracer?

I don’t claim to know the ins and outs of the engine either, but if it was an easy thing I’m sure other shooters would have projectiles persisting after death. Compare the catapult to the bow and you’ll see what I mean, because your launched rock keeps going after you die since it’s not tied to you, but the catapult. I’m not sure it’s possible to make the arrow its own entity as soon as it leaves your bow because your bow is considered part of you as far as the game engine is concerned.

• @Daiyuki:

I’ve only ever seen simultaneous deaths in games with lag compensation. I think it’s an engine limitation that projectiles vanish when their owner dies because they aren’t considered their own unique objects but a projectile that belongs to someone, basically a really extended hit tracer?

I don’t claim to know the ins and outs of the engine either, but if it was an easy thing I’m sure other shooters would have projectiles persisting after death. Compare the catapult to the bow and you’ll see what I mean, because your launched rock keeps going after you die since it’s not tied to you, but the catapult. I’m not sure it’s possible to make the arrow its own entity as soon as it leaves your bow because your bow is considered part of you as far as the game engine is concerned.

I know a few games which have continuous projectiles.

• Fuck this, add zombies.

• Dude…

But seriously there’s like a million zombie threads :D

• While I agree on the ranged weapon part, I don’t think such an option will be added for melee anytime soon. Currently, as soon as a player dies, he isntantly goes into death animation/ragdoll mode and no longer registers any collisions. Strikes don’t continiue at all, so there will always be one player hitting miliseconds earlier than the other - that would need some serious rework to allow an actual melee draw.