Is MaA supposed to be the #1 duel/1v1 class?

• I’ve figured the game isn’t being balanced around 1v1 because the MaA exists, like he can out camp every other class, even if the facehugging bugs get fixed, which probably won’t happen any times soon, MaA still can camp you to hell and back again, and are immune to feints while holding a shield. And if you play overly aggressive against them, you’re just falling into their preferred range of combat, CQC, as they can feint you, while you can’t feint them. If you kick their shield, they can jump and block out of it.

• @theuprising:

I’ve figured the game isn’t being balanced around 1v1 because the MaA exists, like he can out camp every other class, even if the facehugging bugs get fixed, which probably won’t happen any times soon, MaA still can camp you to hell and back again, and are immune to feints while holding a shield. And if you play overly aggressive against them, you’re just falling into their preferred range of combat, CQC, as they can feint you, while you can’t feint them. If you kick their shield, they can jump and block out of it.

I don’t even know where to start. Just… Man, look under the sink and drink the candy your parents keep there.

• @Daiyuki:

@theuprising:

I’ve figured the game isn’t being balanced around 1v1 because the MaA exists, like he can out camp every other class, even if the facehugging bugs get fixed, which probably won’t happen any times soon, MaA still can camp you to hell and back again, and are immune to feints while holding a shield. And if you play overly aggressive against them, you’re just falling into their preferred range of combat, CQC, as they can feint you, while you can’t feint them. If you kick their shield, they can jump and block out of it.

I don’t even know where to start. Just… Man, look under the sink and drink the candy your parents keep there.

MaA is the ultimate defensive class b/c they can wield shields the best. They are also the ultimate offensive class in 1v1’s. If you don’t know this to be true than you don’t duel often. Generally if an MaA loses to a Knight, the MaA messed up somewhere, rather than the Knight winning.

• @Generally:

this shows a BIG misunderstanding about the way life works. If ANY one loses to ANY one… SOMEBODY messed up SOMEWHERE.

You don’t lose fights by doing everything right, you lose them by doing things wrong. So by your theory… the ravens did not win the superbowl… the 49’ers just messed up somewhere…

“shits chess, it ain’t checkers”

• @theuprising:

MaA is the ultimate defensive class b/c they can wield shields the best. They are also the ultimate offensive class in 1v1’s. If you don’t know this to be true than you don’t duel often. Generally if an MaA loses to a Knight, the MaA messed up somewhere, rather than the Knight winning.

That’s your entire argument is it? That’s hilarious.

Your posts smell of a Knight who’s butthurt after having lost to a good MAA. A shield MAA no less, which saps your stamina like there’s no tomorrow (which there soon won’t be for the shield guy). You can’t just admit that some people are better than you? It has to be the class that’s the culprit?

Broadsword Knight vs Broadsword MAA. The Knight has effectively twice the HP of the MAA and the MAA has better mobility at the cost of increased stamina drain. The Knight should be pressuring the MAA to use up his stamina and then become more aggressive after some blocks/misses and some dodges, when he knows the MAA is low on stam and he can press his advantage. The MAA will be trying to dodge rather than block so he can counter-attack, but dodging and then throwing an attack that misses or gets blocked gets costly on the stamina fast and thus his defense is gone.

Survivability vs Mobility is balanced just fine and an aggressive Knight with a two-hander is even more dangerous in my experience. The MAA can’t get within striking distance without making himself vulnerable to the two-hander’s range, whereas the one-hander can usually be comfortably dodged even from in close.

You’re right though, if the MAA loses, he screwed up somewhere, but he doesn’t get to make many mistakes. One or two and he’s dead. The Knight can afford to take a few hits and then regain control of the fight, which makes it easier to win because of larger margin of error and deeper stamina pool.

• i figure now against MAA, it’s best for me to just land one good hit with my 2H, then just switch to 2ndary to finish. Or just finish with the 2H. If you are aggressive against maa and can parry well, even with the parry bug (i literally turn away from maa’s now to parry lmao, and it works hahaha… i have all these MAA like “how the hell did you parry that”… just turn around) they will eventually run out of stamina to dodge, this is where you need to take advantage.

• Maa best class of the game, that’s why the 2 last esl tournament for the EU scene looked like a knight fest. All high level maas in the game must be fucking bad to lose with this op class. You guys should show to everybody how to win every tournament with the most powerfull class in the game. It’s so easy, what are you waiting for?

• @Dervan:

Maa best class of the game, that’s why the 2 last esl tournament for the EU scene looked like a knight fest. All high level maas in the game must be fucking bad to lose with this op class. You guys should show to everybody how to win every tournament with the most powerfull class in the game. It’s so easy, what are you waiting for?

And why Bada 4-0’d Xecyc in the DAG Duel Tournament Finals. Knights are just helpless vs MAAs, everyone knows that 8-)

• @Daiyuki:

@Dervan:

Maa best class of the game, that’s why the 2 last esl tournament for the EU scene looked like a knight fest. All high level maas in the game must be fucking bad to lose with this op class. You guys should show to everybody how to win every tournament with the most powerfull class in the game. It’s so easy, what are you waiting for?

And why Bada 4-0’d Xecyc in the DAG Duel Tournament Finals. Knights are just helpless vs MAAs, everyone knows that 8-)

Knight with broad/norsesword has all his chance to kill a maa : 2 hit in overhead, good range and insane speed. If you don’t play the hachet you have to prey that the guy doesn’t know how to play. I don’t know what played each guy but after 700 hours of maaing, knights are definitivly the hardest class to fight against even if atm maa benefit from parry bugs. Maybe it’s just a difference of playstyle between the 2 continents but in europe maa never enters in semi final.

Edit : i finally get it, bada is a knight :p

• If the slimey little maa is close enough to hit me then I’m close enough to hit him. And I ALWAYS win the hit trade.

• Archer > MaA > Knight > Vanguard

Any time an MaA loses to a knight or vanguard, they made mistakes. No exceptions. MaA have the clear advantage over knights and vanguards. As long as the MaA doesn’t make mistakes, they will never lose to a knight or vanguard, no matter how good the knight or vanguard is.

• @clayton-bigsby:

this shows a BIG misunderstanding about the way life works. If ANY one loses to ANY one… SOMEBODY messed up SOMEWHERE.

I found this to be quite insightful.
    Actually it made me laugh and now I’m getting funny looks from the people sitting around me :?

• I find that when I’m dueling, if I loose a fight as MAA I switch to Knight and vice versa. Also the choice is heavily impacted on what weapon the other person is using and how they are using it.

There are reasons to use one class over the other, combined with reasons to use different weapons. If you cannot see those reasons then you may have to put more time into playing and learning.

Pro Tip: What seperates great players from good players (And even good from bad) is this line of thought:

When they lose
    Great players: “Damn, I shouldn’t have done that” or “Whoops, should have done this” followed by, “Next time I’ll adapt and change how I play to suit the game better”

Good players: “Farrk, That guy was quick, maybe a bit too quick?”, “Perhaps I should try something different”

Bad - Average Players: “That’s bullshit, this game is unbalanced, that guy is using a subtle speed hack, Lag on this server is bad, it must be that high ping player lets kick him, How can a MAA possibly loose, why do I even bother playing knight”
    Then they continue on to do the exact same mistakes and fail to learn, because they don’t believe in accepting responsibility.

So in case you didn’t get it, The better players of this game accept their defeats as their mistakes and that the other player bested them. That losing a fight was a failing of their own skill. They appraise their fights and adjust their skills. In other words they Learn.

Poor players just fail to learn. This could be for many reasons, the main ones I highlighted above: Blaming game mechanics, Blaming suspected cheating (this is probably easily the highest culprit of people failing to learn, they simply don’t believe that people can be that good, hence they can never be that good…), blaming lag.

Sure sometimes a bit of lag happens at the worst time, that won’t cause you to loose often though. Sure the occasional game bug allows a hit to pass through a shield, the answer is to accept the bug exists and adapt with it, don’t put yourself in that situation.

You get the idea.

I’m level 45 and spend most of my time in duels or FFA. I’m also very good at most other games I play, simply because I excel at learning. The same problem of failure to learn happens again and again and again across many games. The excuses are always very similar.

So the question to ask yourself, “Am I failing to learn” if yes ask this to yourself after each loss “What did I learn from that last fight that I can better apply next time”

The beauty of this approach is that you can simply watch the opponent you fight and if he is uses successful techniques, you can pinch them for your own use and greatly accelerate your skill. It takes practice, start doing it.

• I don’t know… in duels most peoples plays vanguard/knight and I found some vanguards to be very good against me (MAA), good vanguards usually keep good distance. I am not very experienced but really it seems to be all about tactics to me. (having less than 50 pings also helps)

• Is MAA the best class for duels? Yes. For the reasons you stated? No.

• @Toll:

Also the choice is heavily impacted on what weapon the other person is using and how they are using it.

There are reasons to use one class over the other, combined with reasons to use different weapons. If you cannot see those reasons then you may have to put more time into playing and learning.

Pro Tip: What seperates great players from good players (And even good from bad) is this line of thought:

When they lose
    Great players: “Damn, I shouldn’t have done that” or “Whoops, should have done this” followed by, “Next time I’ll adapt and change how I play to suit the game better”

Good players: “Farrk, That guy was quick, maybe a bit too quick?”, “Perhaps I should try something different”

Bad - Average Players: “That’s bullshit, this game is unbalanced, that guy is using a subtle speed hack, Lag on this server is bad, it must be that high ping player lets kick him, How can a MAA possibly loose, why do I even bother playing knight”
    Then they continue on to do the exact same mistakes and fail to learn, because they don’t believe in accepting responsibility.

So in case you didn’t get it, The better players of this game accept their defeats as their mistakes and that the other player bested them. That losing a fight was a failing of their own skill. They appraise their fights and adjust their skills. In other words they Learn.

Poor players just fail to learn. This could be for many reasons, the main ones I highlighted above: Blaming game mechanics, Blaming suspected cheating (this is probably easily the highest culprit of people failing to learn, they simply don’t believe that people can be that good, hence they can never be that good…), blaming lag.

Sure sometimes a bit of lag happens at the worst time, that won’t cause you to loose often though. Sure the occasional game bug allows a hit to pass through a shield, the answer is to accept the bug exists and adapt with it, don’t put yourself in that situation.

You get the idea.

I’m level 45 and spend most of my time in duels or FFA. I’m also very good at most other games I play, simply because I excel at learning. The same problem of failure to learn happens again and again and again across many games. The excuses are always very similar.

So the question to ask yourself, “Am I failing to learn” if yes ask this to yourself after each loss “What did I learn from that last fight that I can better apply next time”

The beauty of this approach is that you can simply watch the opponent you fight and if he is uses successful techniques, you can pinch them for your own use and greatly accelerate your skill. It takes practice, start doing it.

I like this post.

• @Anonymoose:

@Toll:

Also the choice is heavily impacted on what weapon the other person is using and how they are using it.

When they lose

You get the idea.

I like this post.

same :D
    This is the correct way to act.

• Were the tournaments duel tournies? Yeah I thought so. And I played knight all pre update 1, now I play only MAA, so I know how OP they can be.

According to that above post I must be a great player since I said “whoops I played knight, I should have been playing MAA since it makes the most sense”.

• I liked the part when the OP said "they are immune to feints when holding a shield).

No shit.

Any class is.

• Knights can afford to fuck up 1-2 times more than the other classes.