Chivalry in the web browser?

• Would solve the porting to Linux/Mac issue ;)

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/03/2 … or-gaming/

• Crazy. Somehow I don’t think that HTML and JavaScript have the power that C++ does, but being able to put out proper games on the Web would be cool. If it gets to the point where they are real games though, are you going to have to access the assets through cloud storage? Re-download them every time you want to play?

I figured the future of gaming was going to be decentralized servers hosting and running all the content and you just pay for access, but building the game directly in the browser seems like a gimped way of doing it?

• @Daiyuki:

Crazy. Somehow I don’t think that HTML and JavaScript have the power that C++ does, but being able to put out proper games on the Web would be cool. If it gets to the point where they are real games though, are you going to have to access the assets through cloud storage? Re-download them every time you want to play?

It’s possible that it would download the files the first time and save them to some local storage (see html 5 offline storage https://developers.google.com/chrome/wh … rs/storage). You can try a demo of the Unigine in html 5 here http://crypt-webgl.unigine.com/game.html which takes me about 2-3 minutes to download the whole thing. Extrapolating to the size of the assets of Chivalry and you’re probably talking 10+ minutes per engine/map to download. I can’t see that realistically being downloaded every time.

@Daiyuki:

I figured the future of gaming was going to be decentralized servers hosting and running all the content and you just pay for access, but building the game directly in the browser seems like a gimped way of doing it?

I think you’re talking about services like OnLive that renders the game in their cloud and just sends you the video stream and takes your inputs. That’s different from this where you are doing the rendering on your own device. The only advantage that I see of this is the ease of cross-platform porting at the cost of performance and reliance on the WebGL spec. I don’t have much faith in browser-based games taking off for the computationally demanding games where every bit of performance is necessary.

• There are pretty damn good 3d browser games.

They use the unity engine. Counter strike portable is probably the most popular one. And people on android phones can play with people on PC.

• Yeah remixx I read about the unreal engine 3 thing on techspot, pretty sweet. I was hoping this meant a easier way to cross platform! I would guess that no you do not have to redownload every time. My little bro used to play a browser based side scroll rpg, he did not have to re-download it ever. It had items n such like diablo 2. I thought it sucked :). Just don’t use ccleaner and I would think it would be fine, even with ccleaner if devs take the time to plug it into a browser im sure they will find a easy way to contain the data. I bet it will download and not stream, that just makes sense. From what my little IT skilled brain is scheming I am thinking of FF as a media player but for video games.