Using MAA - Shield or No-shield?

• What’s better? From 2 POVs, Duels, and Team Matches.

I find the Mace + Kite Shield combo to destroy most Knights.

While the Broadsword + Kite Shield works well against the rest of classes.

I started playing without shield with MAA (lvl 35 now), after a long time playing without it, at lvl 30, I started equipping shield, and my wins grew considerably. So, give me your opinion :) !

• I use Buckler
    Saves the worry of parrys/feints/&arrows, well 4me anyways.

It also depends on how u play, Do u dodge alot Or use good footwork.
    A high Dodge play hurts shield usage, Footwork doesnt.

• I like using a shield because you don’t have to worry about facehugging or feints. Also makes archers somewhat less annoying because they can only hit your feet.

• I play only MaA and never use shield. I always kill MaA who use shield much easier than I do MaA without. Also I rarely see a MaA with a shield at the top of the scoreboard. Just sayin.

• It’s my belief that as an MAA, if I absolutely have to guard, I’ve already made a grave error and parrying/shielding is a last ditch attempt to save myself. It’s MUCH better to avoid a swing than to guard it, since you can easily clear the distance as the swing passes and get a free hit in on your opponent.

I feel like all a shield actually does is further obscure how capable you are of defending yourself from an attack and you just end up dying from things bypassing your shield.

The ONLY reason I’d personally carry a shield is to protect myself from projectiles, and even then I don’t actually have it out, and just leave it on my back.

• @ChizFreak:

What’s better? From 2 POVs, Duels, and Team Matches.

I find the Mace + Kite Shield combo to destroy most Knights.

While the Broadsword + Kite Shield works well against the rest of classes.

I started playing without shield with MAA (lvl 35 now), after a long time playing without it, at lvl 30, I started equipping shield, and my wins grew considerably. So, give me your opinion :) !

I strongly recommend NOT using a shield on MAA for three reasons.
    1: Dodging feints. You can bypass being feint-raped by dodging. Don’t rely on parry, and know when/where to dodge ‘n’ all that good shit. So it’s an alternative to blocking to counter feint is all I’m saying.
    2: Stamina control. Shield drains vast amounts of stamina, and far more than parrying. Parrying a blow takes less stamina from you than it would be if you blocked it (ESPECIALLY for the shitty buckler. Terrible MAA option for so many reasons). It’s far more stamina efficient to not carry a Shield.
    3: OIL POT. This doesn’t apply to dueling, but without oil pot, I don’t know if MAA would even be viable in competitive games (just what I reckon). Seriously a big game changer, and well worth practising its timing, positioning and aiming.

The one thing shield has going for it, is protection from projectiles (which buckler also sucks against, haha).

So it’s a playstyle/pros and cons kind of thing. I personally think no shield pros outweigh the shields pros. It’s gonna be harder on you in servers with many many players, you have to know your role to be effective.

This opinion was brought to you by a rank 47.

• Thanks everyone for you help!

• Don’t use the buckler. It has a big hole in the middle of it that won’t block properly, and let’s through attacks. If you have to go shield, heaters the way.

Now the only reason though you would go shield is if you are getting shot in the back a lot by archers, and want to have a nice turtle option protecting your backside as you run away from cluster engagements.