Performance issues: low GPU usage

• Running Radeon 6950 2048MB and AMD 1055T CPU, 12GB RAM. Temps are cool and everything else seems nice and dandy with other games, but for some reason, on certain maps in Chivalry performance drops down to 20-30 fps with GPU usage as low as 30%. So far, it doesn’t seem very consistent, or even map-dependant, and performance be much different if I restart the client. Graphical settings don’t affect much, since it’s low GPU usage that causes the performance drop.

• I wonder if its an ATI thing. I have an i7 (I forget number, but the mark score is around 5200 ) and an ATI Radeon HD 4850 (6 gigs of ram, win 7x64). This is probably 2/3 years off the ‘best bang for the buck’ gaming rig, but it is still a pretty beefy system imho and it struggles to get more than 30 fps in a crowd with everything low/off and at 1280 x 800 resolution.

Also I don’t know if you’ve looked at the levels with some of the filters turned off, but they get really dark and don’t have many ambient lights. Game is still playable though. For me the most important things are ping and frame rates, so the closer to 60 I can get the happier I am. 45+ is not bad though, 30 is still playable, but there are a lot of skips where you get hit from people and didn’t see their animations.

• Have you checked your GPU usage? I use MSI Afterburner, which works at least for every ATI card. It’s usually a good indicator if something is wrong. For instance, just a while ago, my CPU was overheating and it meant that FPS dropped like hell whenever it happened, and took me a while to find the cause, but that’s of course taken care of now, so it isn’t the problem.

It’d be good if other ATI (or AMD) card users would post their experiences, especially if it’s similar. The thing is, my system is capable of running the game at 2560 x 1440 resolution with 40-60 fps (not details maxed), and when fps drop, GPU usage drops.

• I am using a amd radeon 6870 and getting low fps alot on certain maps too, I have to turn down alot of settings to get a smooth performance.
    I know it cant be my cpu cause its pretty good i7 2600 3.4ghz.

• @catmorbid:

Running Radeon 6950 2048MB and AMD 1055T CPU, 12GB RAM. Temps are cool and everything else seems nice and dandy with other games, but for some reason, on certain maps in Chivalry performance drops down to 20-30 fps with GPU usage as low as 30%. So far, it doesn’t seem very consistent, or even map-dependant, and performance be much different if I restart the client. Graphical settings don’t affect much, since it’s low GPU usage that causes the performance drop.

Maybe this game is more CPU intensive? Those 1055T’s are not the best performing chips.

• Are your video card drivers up to date?

• mine is, but its amd so you know their drivers suck.

• Mine are up-to-date as well.

Edit: My latest tests seem to indicate that even with cpu affinity set to only 3 cores, these cores aren’t used 100% at any time. Also, there is some dependance on maps. E.g. the battlegrounds map (where you burn the fields and have the bomb cart) always has very low fps. I just tried it with some bots, and had both low cpu and low gpu usage, so I don’t think it’s a case of cpu being a bottleneck either. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on what to try, I’ll give it a go.