Crouch stamina regen

• I really hope this is being removed next patch. It makes MAA even stronger by giving them more dodges, feints, and blocks and that alone is a pretty good reason to remove it.

• Nope. It’s useful to any class.

• I don’t see it benefiting one class more then another. If you can push an MAA to exhaustion (which isn’t very hard) then you can just do it again, or press the attack when they’re puffing and finish them off.

Having said that i’m not the biggest fan of stamina regen….still i’m not overly bothered by it either because of the above.

• My personal view is that it shouldn’t have been added, or even considered in the first place. We don’t need artificial methods of boosting stamina mid fights, especially something as silly as crouching during a fight. If the Devs thought waiting for Stamina was too long, they should have boosted the regen over time, not added an artificial method. It’s got nothing to do with whether any particular class benefits more or not (although it just so happens the MAA has an extra tool which utilises stamina), it’s the principle of the thing.

• I think the crouch stamina regen thing is a bit ridiculous, it means there’s no penalty for spamming combos, feints and dodges. All you need to do is crouch, you can even move while you crouch, for about 3 to 5 seconds and you’ll have your entire stamina bar filled.

Removing it would make it slightly less of a spamfest. Needs to be more of an incentive to save your stamina rather than use the whole bar on one guy in a feint combo.

• Somewhere on this forum someone discussed reasons for crouch stam regen and one of the reasons was that a good player shouldn’t be punished for having to fight multiple opponents and be forced to continue to fight with no stamina.

Initially i accepted that at face value, but now that i’ve had more of a chance to think about it i think that crouch stamina regen takes away from the theme of CMW. I mean the idea is that people get overwhelmed in medieval combat and sometimes things aren’t fair. Sometimes the level of skill is irrelevant and the best man dies.

• @giantyak:

Somewhere on this forum someone discussed reasons for crouch stam regen and one of the reasons was that a good player shouldn’t be punished for having to fight multiple opponents and be forced to continue to fight with no stamina.

Initially i accepted that at face value, but now that i’ve had more of a chance to think about it i think that crouch stamina regen takes away from the theme of CMW. I mean the idea is that people get overwhelmed in medieval combat and sometimes things aren’t fair. Sometimes the level of skill is irrelevant and the best man dies.

On the flip side is it not more fun having stamina - you can do more things, you can combo, you can parry without being dazed.

Its more fun having stamina so penalizing everyone or even worse forcing people to stand around so they can regen is not fun.

If it was rapid health regen then I would agree. But since the guy you killed is coming back in 8 seconds I think being able to regen stamina is just fine.

• @giantyak:

I mean the idea is that people get overwhelmed in medieval combat and sometimes things aren’t fair. Sometimes the level of skill is irrelevant and the best man dies.

This is already true in the game. Biting off more than you can chew will kill you pretty much every time.

The problem isn’t that, but it’s the length of time players have to sit out of a fights to just wait around. It’s necessary, yes, or you would never disengage or get punished for not doing it, but it’s still not “fun.” The crouch regen forces players to wait out of battle for not too long, but doesn’t let people recover significant stamina in the middle of a fight.

Of course, TBS could just make it so that the regen speed increases over time instead, but I like that you are forced into a slow crouch, and it’s visible to the enemy that you intend to recover stamina and are possibly vulnerable.

• I agree, purely on the grounds that crouching to regain stamina just plain makes no sense - balance implications or not. This’ll definitely be going; Tibberius doesn’t like it either.

• @NabsterHax:

@giantyak:

I mean the idea is that people get overwhelmed in medieval combat and sometimes things aren’t fair. Sometimes the level of skill is irrelevant and the best man dies.

The problem isn’t that, but it’s the length of time players have to sit out of a fights to just wait around. It’s necessary, yes, or you would never disengage or get punished for not doing it, but it’s still not “fun.” The crouch regen forces players to wait out of battle for not too long, but doesn’t let people recover significant stamina in the middle of a fight.

Of course, TBS could just make it so that the regen speed increases over time instead, but I like that you are forced into a slow crouch, and it’s visible to the enemy that you intend to recover stamina and are possibly vulnerable.

I just fight like a man, not a coward, and press the attack. But then my style is to use footwork and timing to win, not feints and combos. 8-)

• @giantyak:

I just fight like a man, not a coward, and press the attack. But then my style is to use footwork and timing to win, not feints and combos. 8-)

Well, good luck with that style against high-level players.

• @SlyGoat:

I agree, purely on the grounds that crouching to regain stamina just plain makes no sense - balance implications or not. This’ll definitely be going; Tibberius doesn’t like it either.

Cool, glad to hear it.

• @SlyGoat:

I agree, purely on the grounds that crouching to regain stamina just plain makes no sense - balance implications or not. This’ll definitely be going; Tibberius doesn’t like it either.

I don’t suppose it matters, but please don’t. This is a good function in general and shouldn’t be cut out of the game. It adds more dimensions to fights, as well as actually helping keep the pace of maps up, since someone who’s retreated can have a way to return to the fray ready and able more quickly. It can often be better to just die in a battle and come back rather than wait for all your stamina and health to come back, and taking away a method to speed that up isn’t going to help.

• @SlyGoat:

Cool.

• @Dick:

I don’t suppose it matters, but please don’t. This is a good function in general and shouldn’t be cut out of the game. It adds more dimensions to fights, as well as actually helping keep the pace of maps up, since someone who’s retreated can have a way to return to the fray ready and able more quickly. It can often be better to just die in a battle and come back rather than wait for all your stamina and health to come back, and taking away a method to speed that up isn’t going to help.

I use the crouch stamina regen all the time, but I think it’s kind of stupid. You regen stamina pretty fast by just not sprinting.

The problem I have with it is that Stamina already feels like a mechanic of the game that has almost no purpose. If you just crouch regen all the time, you can basically never run out of it and very rarely get stunned from the stamina depletion mechanic.

There are so many mechanics of this game right now that favor being aggressive, including the combo-feint-parry thing, crouch regeneration, feint-spam etc. There has to be SOME kind of penalty for dumping all of your stamina into a single fight really quickly. Being the aggressor cannot ALWAYS be the trump card for play styles. Currently the way the game is balanced, being the Aggressor is just about always the best way to play against another player.

If changes to the regen on stamina need to occur, I think the regen speed should vary based on your current level of stamina.

• @Substance:

[…]
    If changes to the regen on stamina need to occur, I think the regen speed should vary based on your current level of stamina.

I like this. Playing patient and calm and letting someone tire themselves out would be a viable strategy if your stamina regenerated slower and slower the lower it got. Of course, I think any stamina change would hurt MAAs more than anyone because they rely on stamina more than anyone, but they could have different regen rates for the various classes too.