Ghost swings are over 9000 after patch…

• What up with this? It’s way worse then before patch really…

• Seems fine to me so far.

• @DDR:

Seems fine to me so far.

Really? They seem way more consistent after patch then what they used to…

• I’m noticing a lot more ghost strikes when i play as well…

• Take a video proof.

There was a lot of lag as the patch went out, seems better now.

I would guess ghost swings are lag related but lets see the video.

• Ghost swings are an interesting thing.

My guess as to how it happens is this:

Player frantically clicking attack. The attack command gets sent to server. Server passes command through to clients so it can update player states, THEN checks if the command is possible. If it isn’t possible the next update to client player states is updated with correct information.

What the player sees:

Player attacks, is blocked/parried/flinched, then suddenly (impossibly) starts attacking again, about 3/4’s of the way through the attack it suddenly stops and the animation instantly reverts to where it actually is according to the server.

Unfortunately Player 2 has responded to the ghost attack, as far as the server is concerned it was a REAL response to nothing.

Now normally the explanation above would be OK and mostly unnoticeable, as the checking of commands updates of player states is very quick. Now through in a little Packet Loss (packet loss is where a packet of information is sent, but not received correctly and must be resent, if you get a high enough % of packet loss your your ping will appear higher) and the time between server checks and client player state updates increases and sometimes you will see the Ghost Swing.

The only thing as a player you can do, is fix anything on your end that could cause packet loss (dodgy phone lines,old network equipment for instance) and train yourself not to react to ‘impossible’ animations. When that Ghost Swing happens you just have to ignore it… Sometimes it isn’t a ghost swing though…

• Due to the change to parry queue, ghost attacks and desync’d attacks off parry counters(not sure about other situations as of yet.) are almost non existent. All that seems to happen now at least off parry counters is if the player who parried and countered tries to queue an attack and doesn’t send the attack and just parries, it will only show that tiny fraction of that ghost windup, instead of the full release it used to. It looks almost like quick feinting a counter attack and is much easier to read than before.

• It mostly seem to happen when loads of players are swining widly LMB spam around. So many times lately i’ve seen weapons pass right trough people, both in my favor and not…

• it is VERY noticable on people feinting then attacking and the attack passing through me and not hiting.

• Ghost swings are still very much prevalent. I’ve thoroughly tested this and it is still there. It’s actually pretty easy to reproduce, actually.

• @Hitom:

it is VERY noticable on people feinting then attacking and the attack passing through me and not hiting.

I am confused is the ghost swing something that should have hit but didn’t or something that did hit that shouldn’t.

• A ghost swing is when the animation for an attack plays when it shouldn’t.
    The attack does not do damage and is usually canceled about 3/4’s of the way through with the start of the real attack animation.

• Ghost attacks happen if you hit an enemy right when he’s starting to swing. It happens reliably so it’s not due to packet loss, Toll. I believe there’s a minor coding error that causes this.

Say you swing at someone, and that person doesn’t notice you and tries to attack right as you hit him. According to the server, first the opponent winds up, then you immediately land the hit and flinch him out of it. That attack is now cancelled and cannot damage anyone. However, when the server sees the opponent wind up, it sends a packet with that info to your client so you can see that attack happening. You get that packet a little late due to latency, so according to your client, you hit him while he was doing nothing, and then a few milliseconds later you receive the packet saying that he started an attack.

Unfortunately, the client doesn’t seem to have any say on whether an attack SHOULD be possible. It just receives that packet and then goes “okay I better animate the attack then” and shows the enemy winding up and releasing the attack toward you. That’s all it is though, an animation. It will pass right through you and do no damage, because on the server there is no attack coming.

My guess is that when they added idle flinching, TB forgot to update the client’s code as to disallow attack animations from playing during that flinch. This wouldn’t be a problem if the client could receive an attack windup packet and say “hey wait a minute, I just flinched that guy, he couldn’t possibly attack now, so I won’t play his attack animation”.

• @RushSecond:

Ghost attacks happen if you hit an enemy right when he’s starting to swing. It happens reliably so it’s not due to packet loss, Toll. I believe there’s a minor coding error that causes this.

Say you swing at someone, and that person doesn’t notice you and tries to attack right as you hit him. According to the server, first the opponent winds up, then you immediately land the hit and flinch him out of it. That attack is now cancelled and cannot damage anyone. However, when the server sees the opponent wind up, it sends a packet with that info to your client so you can see that attack happening. You get that packet a little late due to latency, so according to your client, you hit him while he was doing nothing, and then a few milliseconds later you receive the packet saying that he started an attack.

Unfortunately, the client doesn’t seem to have any say on whether an attack SHOULD be possible. It just receives that packet and then goes “okay I better animate the attack then” and shows the enemy winding up and releasing the attack toward you. That’s all it is though, an animation. It will pass right through you and do no damage, because on the server there is no attack coming.

My guess is that when they added idle flinching, TB forgot to update the client’s code as to disallow attack animations from playing during that flinch. This wouldn’t be a problem if the client could receive an attack windup packet and say “hey wait a minute, I just flinched that guy, he couldn’t possibly attack now, so I won’t play his attack animation”.

This.

• Since the patch I have been quite certain of instances where a player seems to inflict damage to me without actually swinging his weapon. Is this related to ghost swings?

Other times I seem to just randomly flinch while fighting a guy who doesn’t swing at me, and THEN I see him swing, but that swing seems to also inflict damage - I thought perhaps an archer or projectile was hitting me just before, but it also happened inside one of the dark forest bunkers with just me and one enemy in there. Everybody else was over by a different bunker.