Weightiness - a solution to many things?

• I’d love to see weightiness incorporated to the game. It would and to the immersion factor, increase the skill ceiling a little, and potentially help balance things out a little.

I’ll start with bows and cross bows.
    Consider the short bow - it is light and small so it is not cumbersome. Now consider the heavy war bow - it is large and wieldy.
    Considering these two weapons it makes sense that the small light weapon is nimble and so going to be much easier to operate with. For example if you’re aiming the short bow its going to be much easier to move the weapon around quickly so it should point where the cross hair moves to.
    I propose that the heavy war bow, being much larger and heavier to draw, lags behind the cross hair to a degree as it would be more difficult to be dextrous with compared to the short bow.

If you consider the maul compared to the hunting knife you can see that the same applies.

I think that if this was implemented to the game it would not only increase this skill ceiling but also be more fun.

Think about look down over heads, they are quick, but if you’re cleaver and read play well you can step out of the way, but it is very easy for the other player to just drag the attack onto you. That said an accelerated attack occurs much faster so they player will have less time to drag the attack onto his foe compared to if he just attacked at normal speed. Naturally there would be a fine balance to accelerating the attack to a rate which still enables you to pull the attack back onto your foe.

• In terms of the bows, I’m not sure if you’ve played since the patch, but the warbow takes a LOT longer to draw then the longbow and the shortbow. Trust me, it feel very weighty. As does the Heavy Crossbow, which has a very long reload time.

Weapons could use some work, I agree. The maul and the zwei feel weighty, but the rest do not.

• Yeah but i’m not talking about the draw time. There is very little difference between draw of heavy bows vs short bows in real life. I’m proposing that the actual aiming of the bows should be different in that where you aim the cross hair the heavy bow should lag behind slightly. This is kind of taken into account by the fact that movement speed is very reduced with the warbow vs the short bow.

IMO the draw time is irrelevant in terms of how the weapon feels. My suggestion would give a much better sense of a heavy weapon compared to a light one. It’d also better reflect the differnce between heavy and light weapons.

• yea but then people will just change the sensitivity for each weapon they will use then the maul could be as fast as the hunting knife….
    good idea but need to be polished so you wont be able to overtake this idea.

• I’m not suggesting any change to the current game except for where the cursor is pointing in regard to where the weapon is pointing. So sensitivity is irrelevant.
    Think of mouse tracers or trailers in windows……

So if you’re using a maul and your target jumps in the air you can immediately react and start dragging your swing upwards into your enemy, but the head of the weapon is heavy so it’ll lag behind a little. Conversely if you were using a hunting knife the weapon is much lighter and so the weapon will follow with your reactive movement.

• To what problems is that a solution? It only sounds terrible at best to me.

We don’t need more difference from one weapon to another. And we need to hit what we aim at.

• @giantyak:

I’d love to see weightiness incorporated to the game. It would and to the immersion factor, increase the skill ceiling a little, and potentially help balance things out a little.

I’ll start with bows and cross bows.
    Consider the short bow - it is light and small so it is not cumbersome. Now consider the heavy war bow - it is large and wieldy.
    Considering these two weapons it makes sense that the small light weapon is nimble and so going to be much easier to operate with. For example if you’re aiming the short bow its going to be much easier to move the weapon around quickly so it should point where the cross hair moves to.
    I propose that the heavy war bow, being much larger and heavier to draw, lags behind the cross hair to a degree as it would be more difficult to be dextrous with compared to the short bow.

If you consider the maul compared to the hunting knife you can see that the same applies.

I think that if this was implemented to the game it would not only increase this skill ceiling but also be more fun.

Think about look down over heads, they are quick, but if you’re cleaver and read play well you can step out of the way, but it is very easy for the other player to just drag the attack onto you. That said an accelerated attack occurs much faster so they player will have less time to drag the attack onto his foe compared to if he just attacked at normal speed. Naturally there would be a fine balance to accelerating the attack to a rate which still enables you to pull the attack back onto your foe.

Just to clarify the bow situation:

In real life Warbow is not much heavier than the longbow. The problem here does not lie withing the weight, it´s the poundage of the bow, how much force you have to commit to draw the string. A standart longbow is 100 pounds, while the warbow can be over 200 pounds. So the thing I´d like to see is archers not being able to hold an arrow drawn as long as they can now. Or at least there should be significant stamina drain after a second.