Combat looses reliability with ping over 100

• The combat system seems to loose its reliability once people have a ping of 100 and higher. More hits appear to go through otherwise working blocks and the most notable weapon to see it with is the spear, which appears to magically penetetrate around shields, because on the other persons end, they simply hit you.

• I always play with 100+ ping more or less and i’ve never experienced this problem.

Imo you might be experiencing another issue here. When someone hits you from zero distance and i mean that he is attached to you as close as the colission system lets him to be then his strikes seem to get over or around your shield as if his hand which is holding the weapon gets around the shield and i don’t know if this is intended.

So if you’re blocking make sure to walk backwards to widen the gap between you and your opponent but if you can’t try to turn you shield to the way the strike comes and not towards your opponents body and remember that different shields offer different protection with the tower shield offering the most.

Let me know if you figure out if the lag is causing the problem or the example i mentioned.

• No it was not the zero distance hitting through the body, when you cannot see the tip of the weapon anymore. It was long range.
    Will continue to try it out, I guess.

Edit: Where can earlier balance discussions be found that lead to the current situation and might actually still have relevant discussions going? Maybe they can be migrated to the beta forum.

• @UsF:

The combat system seems to loose its reliability once people have a ping of 100 and higher. More hits appear to go through otherwise working blocks and the most notable weapon to see it with is the spear, which appears to magically penetetrate around shields, because on the other persons end, they simply hit you.

There’s no way a small team of guys are going to figure out what’s been haunting online gaming since the beginning. Latency is a MAJOR (did i stress major?) hurdle to smooth gameplay, it’s on you to pick a better server.

I will say though, I was playing with user from Japan who had a ping of 200ms+ and they only had good things to say. You may be confusing fps lag for network lag?

• I definitely noticed more hits going thru blocks (their hits, my blocks) on a server with 120 ping… but that’s just the way it is. Hopefully there are enough servers where we never have to play on that sort of ping anyway.

• @lumpkin:

@UsF:

The combat system seems to loose its reliability once people have a ping of 100 and higher. More hits appear to go through otherwise working blocks and the most notable weapon to see it with is the spear, which appears to magically penetetrate around shields, because on the other persons end, they simply hit you.

There’s no way a small team of guys are going to figure out what’s been haunting online gaming since the beginning. Latency is a MAJOR (did i stress major?) hurdle to smooth gameplay, it’s on you to pick a better server.

I will say though, I was playing with user from Japan who had a ping of 200ms+ and they only had good things to say. You may be confusing fps lag for network lag?

No, it is definately network lag, however if everyone has the same ping, then it is consistent. The game runs smooth to me, do not know the exact frame rate, but I notice no hiccups, besides the occasional warping of enemies. I had one time where everyone froze and then appeared in different places.
    My annoyance comes majorly from someone claiming to be playing the game since whenever, having a 170 ping and using the spear, which behaved very oddly at that ping-level.

• To be honest he could be correct, because when I play the game usually all the full servers are over 100 ping to me and i cant get a single kill it felt like, but when my favorite low ping servers are up 40-70 ping I literally dominate with always a high score… So idk I’ve always also felt this way… Maybe it’s just different for some people…