Hello! New to Chivalry and Xbox gamepad Qs

• Just bought the game (finally) thanks to the Weekend sale of the game and I’m really, really excited to play with you folks and have a blast. I do have a couple quick questions (mostly about a gamepad).

I know that the Xbox gamepad isn’t supported directly, but it is possible to edit stuff and it’s fully functional, so here’s what I’d like to do:

1. Is it possible to turn the run into a toggle? I don’t want to have to hold down the left stick to run.
    2. Is it also possible to have the crouch set to a toggle? Rather than up/down on the dpad, I want to map it to a single button.

Here’s the setup that I’m hoping I can make work:

Right Trigger: Overhead swing
    Left Trigger: Block
    Right Bumper: horizonal swing
    Left Bumper: Alt swing button

A: Jump
    B: Feint (and whatever secondary button it was, i forget atm)
    X: Kick
    Y: Stab

Left Stick Button: Toggle Run
    Right Stick button: Toggle Crouch

Dpad up: Switch Weapons
    Dpad down: Use
    Dpad Left/Right: uhh… taunt/war cry?

General game questions:
    1. Any and all advice you can give to a noobie would be appreciated. I’ve heard that you should rarely use the horizontal swing, hence why I want to remap it off my main attack. Is the overhead the way to go for a main attack?

Thanks guys, I’m really excited to get into this game and play with some of you. I’m going to be horrible for a long, long time but who cares if I’m having fun.

Oh, and for the inevitable “Only idiots use a gamepad. KB/M is better.” trollers. I’ll post this list that I once saw (I didn’t write it, so don’t flame the messenger) and I’ll say no more on the subject:

Lets see:

-Absolutely shit, non-analog WASD key controls from the 80’s that requires multiple fingers at once at multiple key presses for diagonals. Did I mention that this is absolute shit?
    -No rumble feedback
    -No analog
    -No ergonomics
    -Need a desk or table
    -No triggers
    -No sense of dexterity or actually having to aim
    -All shooters feel the same with the mouse. There’s no sense of weight, etc to the guns.
    -They’re devices created for typing and moving cursors around a UI. Games are forced to utilize them because they’re the standard input devices on a pc, not because they’re great gaming controllers.

Yeah, KB/M is awesome alright.

It took a long time but at least the pc community is finally starting to realize how archaic kb/mouse is. That’s why Steam is all about big picture mode now and more and more games are supporting the controller.

• Welcome imdahman. I can’t really say much about altering the settings to specifically match your requested setup, but I suspect it would involve editing the .ini file. Many people have way more experience with that than I (I haven’t touched the .ini).

If you can play with a gamepad and still have fun, I say more power to you.

Now for the reason I replied (besides to welcome you). I would say that a horizontal slash (often called LMB as that is the default keybind) is a niche move for the more experienced players. It is basically telegraphing your move because it is one of the most visible animations. Also it comes off slower. If I use LMB, it will be to attack multiple enemies at once, to feint into a different attack, to get around shields, or for other specific situations. You also have to be careful using LMB because it is NOTORIOUS for dishing out team damage. If you’re intent on switching the default bindings, I would personally bind main attack to stab because that is my usual opener. I have not changed mine because it is all muscle memory now. It will depend on which weapon you come to enjoy the most. Some weapons favor overheads more. In the end it will come down to your playstyle.

I’m sure you’ll get some KB/M is better blahblahblah replies, but I say play the way that you enjoy the game most. It’s always good to have more people playing Chiv. Welcome!

• The keybinds are all in UDKGame.ini located here: Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config.

These are the default Xbox360 controller binds:

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_ShowMenu",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_StrafeLeft_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_MoveForward_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_TurnLeft_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Look_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_NextWeapon",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Fire",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",SecondaryKey=,Command="DoParry | Onrelease LowerShield | GBA_Aim",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_AltFire",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_StartStab",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbStick",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Shove",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Reload | GBA_Feint",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Use",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_ShowScores",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",SecondaryKey=,Command="Jump",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftThumbStick",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Sprint | GBA_Zoom",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_UpDuck",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_DownDuck",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_PlayBattleCry",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_ToggleXHair",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")

You’ll want to switch around the commands for each button to suit your desired config. For sprint toggle, try enabling the sprint toggle checkbox in the keybind menu in-game and see if that applies to controller too. There is no crouch toggle as of yet.

The second part of your post is just asking for trolls to come out and play :|. I would have recommended just not including that and just ignoring any trolls.

• Have the devs mentioned anything about adding more support for a gamepad? I’m going to assume it’s not a high priority, but maybe they are quick fixes? Here’s hoping…

• @imdahman:

Have the devs mentioned anything about adding more support for a gamepad? I’m going to assume it’s not a high priority, but maybe they are quick fixes? Here’s hoping…

They haven’t mentioned anything publicly. I don’t think that very many people use a controller. If more did, then it would be a higher priority. Regardless, you can do everything that you wanted by editing the .ini file except for crouch toggle and I am unsure on sprint toggle.

• Keyboard and mouse will always be a better controller, but play how you want. In 3rd person mode the controller is kind of fun.

But you’re going to want to have a wireless keypad to bind occasional use buttons to. (For example, a ‘change view’). You could use the keyboard but keypad would be easier.

• @BillDoor:

But you’re going to want to have a wireless keypad to bind occasional use buttons to. (For example, a ‘change view’). You could use the keyboard but keypad would be easier.

He could bind that to the d-pad.

• Ugh… editing the .ini will be… interesting. Code is usually just gibberish to me :(

EDIT: Also, is there a way to make this a borderless window? Dual monitors FTW!

• Also quick note: Enabling ‘Toggle Run’ in the menu does work for a gamepad, huzzah!!

• … and another question.

I can’t find the “use alternate button” binding… what is it called? I looked for the button LeftAlt but all that showed me was camera zoom, and nothing about it being the alternate swing modifier.

• @imdahman:

Ugh… editing the .ini will be… interesting. Code is usually just gibberish to me :(

EDIT: Also, is there a way to make this a borderless window? Dual monitors FTW!

We can help you with editing the .ini file. Yep, I believe you add “-borderless” without the quotes to the game launch properties in Steam.

@imdahman:

Also quick note: Enabling ‘Toggle Run’ in the menu does work for a gamepad, huzzah!!

Go team! 8-)

@imdahman:

… and another question.

I can’t find the “use alternate button” binding… what is it called? I looked for the button LeftAlt but all that showed me was camera zoom, and nothing about it being the alternate swing modifier.

Not sure about that one. It looks like it has “GBA_MeleeLeft” as part of it’s command. That might be it.

Another thing, the default B button is Reload | Feint. That is a bug and needs to be switched to Feint | Reload. The order matters - what happens is the default has you reload and then feint out of the reload meaning that you would never be able to reload your crossbow :x

• … and now the bindings have compeletely disappeared from the UDKgame.ini sigh this is frakking hard guys!

edit: Nevermind, found out how to make it reappear.

I found a “ToggleMelee” which seems to have the command of duck and upduck on release tied to it… could that work on a gamepad?

• @imdahman:

… and now the bindings have compeletely disappeared from the UDKgame.ini sigh this is frakking hard guys!

They disappeared altogether? Did you alter something in the in-game keybind settings menu by any chance? Reset them to default perhaps? :?

• Sorry, I found them again and I’m editing away… I have a habit of just going into posts and editing them.

I did ask another question: I found “ToggleMelee” which has duck and up duck tied to it, it seems. Would that work for my ‘duck’ on the gamepad?

• uhh… GBA_duck works fine for ducking… I just can’t toggle it. MUCH better than an up/down duck on the dpad. And I just freed up 2 spots for more control :p

• And a few more!

Where can I adjust the speed of looking? I think I’d like it to be a bit faster.

Is there any way to set a default camera view? I’d like to set mine to the over-the-shoulder cam.

• @imdahman:

Lets see:

-Absolutely shit, non-analog WASD key controls from the 80’s that requires multiple fingers at once at multiple key presses for diagonals. Did I mention that this is absolute shit?

Pressing forward + mouse precision: running a perfect circle.

-No rumble feedback

Which only hurts and/or aggrevates RSI and adds nothing.

-No analog

Several thousands of DPI of mouse precision which is infinitely smoother, quicker and precise than a stick. If in doubt, try to play an FPS and headshot with controller vs mouse.
    Same story here with arrows.

-No ergonomics

Ergonomic curve keyboard and ergonomic natural vertical mouse that vastly reduce strain: Check.
    Basically 2 preformed gamepad standards(PS and Xbox) that are NOT suited to all sizes and hands and therefore cause undue strain: Check.

-Need a desk or table

Or a mini-table like for eating in bed, or just plainly a wireless kb and a solid mousepad next to you.

-No triggers

No what? If you mean thumb buttons, Mouse hase those.

-No sense of dexterity or actually having to aim
    -They’re devices created for typing and moving cursors around a UI. Games are forced to utilize them because they’re the standard input devices on a pc, not because they’re great gaming controllers.

A mouse was created to be able to click on something with PIXEL precision. A gamepad was designed to roughly navigate 4 directions originally and was purely digital. The analogue development came later, but the basic roughness never left. I point to the FPS problem above again.

Yeah, KB/M is awesome alright.

And no sarcasm about it.

Steam is doing BPM because more and more people don’t play precise anymore, but want to couch-slouch and “roughly there” and auto-aim is “good enough” for most people. Its for people tired from work and wanting to be away from the PC, not for any precision, realism or other consideration.
    Mostly its a nod to the fact that a majority of the sales of some games happens on the console, and piston + steam => basically a pc as console.

• @imdahman:

Have the devs mentioned anything about adding more support for a gamepad? I’m going to assume it’s not a high priority, but maybe they are quick fixes? Here’s hoping…

There’s stuff like XPAdder and similiar(map keyboard to gamepad). Might work.
    Expect to get your butt handed to you rather severely if you are planning to fight people with kb/mouse mastery with a gamepad.

Though then again half of the pubs have a dude just LMB-mauling or 2handing to place 1 on teams, so, yea. Meh.

Personally, if I knew someone on a TO server on my team was using a gamepad, I’d votekick him off in a heartbeat as I wouldn’t feel he’s trying to help / play properly for the objective. In FFA, duel or similiar, I guess nobody would care as you don’t affect others with it.

• Sorry, TO = Team Objective? Getting used to terms, wanna get it right :)

• @imdahman:

Sorry, TO = Team Objective? Getting used to terms, wanna get it right :)

Yepp. :)
    LTS=last team standing, TDM=team death match and FFA=free for all, in case you see it.