Terrain

• There are certain spots in the game that have really awful terrain, not to mention there is uneven ground everywhere (especially on battlegrounds) that usually fuck really hard with swings. Is there a way to prevent the skipping that happens when you swing from different elevations? It really screws with distance sometimes since when you skip you lose a bit of forward movement and you fall short of your attack.

An example of this are the citadel stairs, one of the most annoying places to fight in the game. Same with any stairs really, along with 2nd part of battlegrounds.

Also another thing, why have spawns that have the possibility to give you fall damage, even just walking down normally without jumping? (Stoneshill 1st spawn sometimes does this, Hillside lower spawn also does this) That HP you lose is pretty important. I didn’t see any patch notes pertaining to these but if they were already fixed then please disregard.

• The uneven and different terrain is there to force you to think about where and how you choose to engage and do battle. Downward slopes or stairs can be difficult for people with shorter weapons, as opposed to vanguards who has an easier time on such terrain. This game is very much about how you use the terrain, not only how you swing your weapon.

As for the spawn locations & fall damage, I thought they fixed this? Not sure, but I can’t remember any fall damage myself at the moment on these locations tbh.

• I believe they fixed every or at least most damage-when-spawning issues.

• @Kellborn:

Downward slopes or stairs can be difficult for people with shorter weapons, as opposed to vanguards who has an easier time on such terrain.

No. They don’t have easier time. A larger elevation difference makes an extreme disadvantage even for spears.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

@Kellborn:

Downward slopes or stairs can be difficult for people with shorter weapons, as opposed to vanguards who has an easier time on such terrain.

No. They don’t have easier time. A larger elevation difference makes an extreme disadvantage even for spears.

I may be wrong, then, I usually find it easier to play in downward slopes with longer weapons rather than shorter, then again, I very rarely actually play vanguard.

• Being on the high ground puts you at a disadvantage currently. Not sure why really.

Your attacks will be harder to hit and you’ll have to aim much, MUCH lower than before. The enemy attacks will be hitting your feet and for some really strange reason, stabs from lower ground ignore parry and block even when directly looking at the weapon point.

• @Asmon:

I believe they fixed every or at least most damage-when-spawning issues.

Please post any if you find them. I believe I fixed most of them in this patch. Hillside + Citadel for sure.

• I’m not too bothered about terrain that’s difficult to fight on (in fact, I like it strategically). What annoys me most is stuff you can get stuck on (I’m looking at you, darkforest fortress rubble). This really shouldn’t happen. There are places that seem like you should be able to walk through but can’t and places where you just get stuck, and have to find your way out of an invisible maze.

• @Andrew:

@Asmon:

I believe they fixed every or at least most damage-when-spawning issues.

Please post any if you find them. I believe I fixed most of them in this patch. Hillside + Citadel for sure.

Stoneshill both first spawns have the capacity to damage you: Mason when you drop off any of the hills, Agatha (and by extension Mason second spawn) if you land to the right of the hay bale you take a bit of damage. There might be a dip in the terrain right there, I don’t know, but it only happens right inside the door to the barn and is much less of an issue.

Maybe the hill thing is by design, but it forces you to take a specific path every time to avoid damage rather than going the quickest route to your destination.

Hillside Agatha second spawn, if you sprint while taking the right path, by the ammo box that leads to the lower area, you’ll barely miss that little rock and land directly on the path below for significant damage. You either have to walk off or jump a little early so that you land on the rock first. Again, not unavoidable, but certainly annoying and could be fixed by extending that little rock by like 2 inches.