Ballista turn speed

• On the new citadel, the turn speed of the ballista has been drastically increased and they turn and control quite quickly now.

Will this eventually transfer across to the other maps that have ballista? Or is this a balance issue which is now the Agatha steamroll that is the first objective of Citadel?

• I wouldn’t say it makes the obj too easy, but it does cause some balance issues when defenders can so easily shoot anyone who reaches the top floor

I’ve seen a couple defenders do this already and I think it’s a problem

• @BB:

I wouldn’t say it makes the obj too easy, but it does cause some balance issues when defenders can so easily shoot anyone who reaches the top floor

Yeah that’s what I’ve noticed too. Mason crossbow in particular still don’t have to leave spawn and they can still cover the ballista from inside their spawn. All they simply need to do is sit upon the little cobblestone exits that lead to the exit of Mason Palisade spawn and those have a straight, clear view of the ballista up to the wall.

• @DokB:

@BB:

I wouldn’t say it makes the obj too easy, but it does cause some balance issues when defenders can so easily shoot anyone who reaches the top floor

Yeah that’s what I’ve noticed too. Mason crossbow in particular still don’t have to leave spawn and they can still cover the ballista from inside their spawn. All they simply need to do is sit upon the little cobblestone exits that lead to the exit of Mason Palisade spawn and those have a straight, clear view of the ballista up to the wall.

Since this thread is discussing the turn speed of the ballistas, I think BB was referring to the defenders using the ballistas to defend the ballistas. Since they can turn much quicker, it is easier to hit people, killing them instantly.

• yeah what Coaster said

• I was defending Citadel the other day (post patch) and got like 10 kills or something with the ballista, which I have never got before. They were all pretty much from attackers trying to jump on the other ballista or coming up the stairs and I was pegging them off easy.

Granted it was late and I think everyone (including myself) was a bit drunk.

However since then I have only seen Agathians easily take the first objective.

• I really do not like this approach to balance. The problem wasn’t that it was too hard for attackers, but that it was too easy for defenders. Sounds stupid, but there’s a big difference really. The main problem was the defenders spawned right next to the objective and could actually snipe it from spawn. Also, they could drop down and kill people, then respawn in time to fight them again.

The attackers didn’t need a buff (though spawn change is nice), the defenders needed a nerf.

• The long Agatha walk to the wall was pretty terrible, glad they shortened that

But increasing the turn speed of the balls wasn’t all that necesary, at least not to this degree

• @BB:

But increasing the turn speed of the balls wasn’t all that necesary, at least not to this degree

wow just wow

so you only played defender then eh - figures…

turning the ballista before was painful and made me want to kill myself

• Turning the ball was the easy part for offense
    The hard part was spawning 30 secondss away from the objective, and having defenders spawn directly on it

You realize that increasing the turn speed was a buff for defense right? Did you even read any of this thread?

• @BB:

Turning the ball was the easy part for offense
    The hard part was spawning 30 secondss away from the objective, and having defenders spawn directly on it

You realize that increasing the turn speed was a buff for defense right? Did you even read any of this thread?

I dont think you understand the word usability (human computer interaction). Turning something fucking slowly was annoying as hell. Massive scrolling to the left.

I think over 20 citadels I have seen the first stage defended once, minor buff, better for attackers.

• Turning a ball 180 really isn’t as big of a deal as you are making it out to be…

Right now defenders can shoot anyone the second they appear on the top floor with that ball
    The reasons balls turn so slow to begin withis to prevent this very thing from happening, it’s basicaly impossible to kill anyone on the ball without some sort of ranged weapon because you sure as hell aren’t going to get close without geting pinned to the wall

• I think there were many frustrating parts of that first objective pre-change, ballista turn speed wasn’t the most critical in my eyes, it was the spawn issues as well as bolts going through the bee’s dick thin gaps in the palisade.

Now, I can spin that ballista in under a second onto the wall with a flick of the wrist and if I fancy a laugh, I can pin the dummy who ran through the doorway if I want to, the turn speed is a little bit much in my opinion. While I have now seen the first objective defended a few times (mainly due to incompetent Agathian’s and everyone wanting to play archer for some unknown reason), I think the first objective is now a lot in favour of Agatha and I’ve now seen them win that first objective in record times and quite easily too. Perhaps reverting the ballista turn speed would help even things out?

• @DokB:

as well as bolts going through the bee’s dick thin gaps in the palisade.

that got me