HUGE Toggle Run Glitch

• Before the newest update, toggle run was canceled by walking backwards or left or right and allowed you to walk. Now it sticks, even after standing completely still… you can walk left, right, and backwards, but if you walk forward you run because of the toggle sticking. This creates problems bc of another glitch, the hp fills on screen, but character is not really healing at all; I suspect it is because of the toggle glitch that this happens, because you cannot heal while sprinting, although it did not happen before. Also if you are hit or parry a swing, you sometimes begin to walk or the toggle is still activated, thus you never know if your walking or running… Huge problem to someone who runs in for a swing. If everyone would push this issue to Torn Banner it would be of much help both to me and the development of a well rounded game.

• Toggle sprint works as intended now. If you press shift, you’re in sprint mode - whenever you move forward, you’ll start to sprint. Press shift again and you’re back to walking. Same is true of regular sprinting; if you hold down shift, you’ll always be sprinting even if you stop moving and start moving again.

• No, I do not believe the toggle is to allow you to run without holding it, but if you stop running….you’ve stopped running…and there for sprint should be deactivated, and this will eliminate the recovery glitch as well.

• I use to use TOGGLE SPRINT, and quiet frankly even thought it was broken in the previous patch… i just got use to it. Now i just use HOLD to sprint. I just could not get familiar with the new Toggle sprint.

• I agree, and I use a controller and need to use thumb to spring, toggle WAS nice, now I have to re learn my attack strategy through a new system of muscle memory… Ive been TOO used to the toggle sprint.

• @SlyGoat:

Toggle sprint works as intended now. If you press shift, you’re in sprint mode - whenever you move forward, you’ll start to sprint. Press shift again and you’re back to walking. Same is true of regular sprinting; if you hold down shift, you’ll always be sprinting even if you stop moving and start moving again.

Mr Slygoat if i am sprinting and strafe at the same time does that cause me to stop sprinting?

• I have already said that the new toggle sprint sucks. Nobody heard me!! It feels completely retarded. At least add the option to revert it back to how it was…

• I’m glad I’m not alone in the hate for new sprint toggle :]
    The first thing that was mentioned (sprint not turning off when you stop) sadly is not a bug or a glitch. As SlyGoat said it works as intended now. And same as you I hate it :]
    I thought that the real issue with sprint before was that it broke on obstacles. Well it was fixed but I personally don’t understand why it doesn’t turn off after you intentionally stop. I understand some people like it but I’m sure there are those who don’t. For me new sprint toggle is useless in combat.

There are simple solutions however:
    1. Two separate buttons for hold-to-sprint and sprint-toggle
    2. Make it possible to bind release of forward key (or any) to sprint-off.
    I messed a bit with bindings and I couldn’t make this to work.
    3. Or revert this feature or at least make it optional.

P.S.
    Btw you still can’t toggle sprint off if you are standing still. Now that is a bug.

• @Mroovek284:

2. Make it possible to bind release of forward key (or any) to sprint-off.
    I messed a bit with bindings and I couldn’t make this to work.
    3. Or revert this feature or at least make it optional.

This.

I´m gonna try to describe why I hate the current state:

Let´s say I finish a fast paced battle and I need to engage quickly in another one. Before the patch it was a muscle memory thing that always made me press shift once to start sprinting. But now I have to actually remember whether I got hit during the battle or not. If I did not get hit and I´d try to start sprinting it would toggle off the sprinting thus making me strike too early and loose….

By having the sprinting stopped when standing still I feel I had much more control over my movement.

• This is actually a bit of a side-effect of the improvement to all sprinting so that it remembers that you’re sprinting when you’re stopped for some reason (by being attacked, colliding with terrain, etc.) so you don’t have to release and re-press shift. Adding a check to take you out of sprint if you release W should be easy enough, though - are there any other issues with toggle sprint? Other than the W thing it should be working about the same as last patch, just better (less re-toggling).

• I played toggle sprint before the patch (and liked it, maybe I just got used to it)

The new toggle sprint is strange…sometimes you walk again without pressing your toggle sprint button again. It has happened to me more than once that I was walking instead of sprinting (and I was supposed to sprint). Only two things should put you out of toggle sprint imo: death or another press of the sprint button. Of course should being hit make you walk, but with toggle sprint on you should sprint again as soon as possible without having to press the button again!

So I switched to hold sprint. Feels much better in combat, but it is really annoying to hold a button down all the time, especially after respawn, when you have to run to the battle again.

• Dear, Slygoat and TB

It would seem that the NEW toggle sprint was introduced to resolve map issues. Whereby, invisible “bumps” would interfere with a players movement, de-activate sprint, and they would have to re-initiate sprint.

TB’s NEW sprint toggle does resolve that issue.
    But it causes many more.

First of all, let me address with a simple philosophy. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix. I concede, there was an issue, but, that issue was with the map and NOT with sprint. I’d ask for you to please just go over the maps and smooth out as many trouble areas as possible. Over time, gripes with this issue will fade as more and more map ‘bumps’ are smoothed out. Or better (if possible), solve the issue at its root, and fix the issue of Sprint being ‘de-activated’ by terrain.

In regards, to the new (working as intended) Toggle sprint…
    UN-INTUITIVE
    If we are running, then we are running. If we stop running, we are not running, but we are in run mode. Even whilst we are walking (strafing/back pedaling) or even completely stopped, we are still, in run mode. This is a conflicting message.

But it gets more confusing. This Sprint Toggle may switch itself off if we are hit or in a fight (unsure of variables). So now we are unsure if we are, indeed in Sprint Mode, even though the user had switched it on. This mechanic is now conflicting against the user themselves.

GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN
    This is an interesting new way of experiencing how Sprint/Run works in the Gaming Industry. I, however, disagree with this new definition. The current Industry standard is…
    1. Default = walk
    2. Activate/Hold-down Sprint/Run = Sprint/Run
    3. No longer longer Sprint/Run = Default

It’s a simple cycle which is intuitive and short. I believe Chivalry’s new Sprint Toggle throws in a convolution of variables

CHAOS AND REDUNDANCY
    This new semi-permanent Sprint (until hit?) has made combat COMICAL. Battles are now leaning towards everyone running constantly and doing drive-bys or drive-thrus and attacking without breaking stride. This technique was once a skilled co-ordination of timing and dexterity done by high level players. As such, it was not common and only 1 or 2 players a server were pulling it off consistently. Now, sprint is automatic and everyone is lifting off on mass, without the timing/skill needed to execute the sprint as soon as possible and running all over the place.

People no longer stand and fight face to face. Everyone is doing a road-runner and it looks comical. It IS comical. The new Sprint Toggle has removed some aspect of user-input skill/footwork/timing/execution and been given to the masses for free and made autonomous.

It has also made walking redundant. There is now, no need to have a Walk Mechanic at all when we can be running.
    1. Move faster
    2. Get to battle quicker
    3. Be more agile
    4. Dodge and evade attacks whilst being in Sprint Mode.
    5. Extends range of weapons (not physically, but you can hit people from a further distance than you can by walking).
    If you want to heal? Stop your movement and strafe towards your destination - you’ll still keep Sprint Mode on.

Conclusion/TL;DR
    1. Default = walk
    2. Activate/Hold-down Sprint = Sprint
    3. Blocked attacks/Hitting solid objects = Default
    4. Taking Damage = Default

5. Stupid piece of Terrain = Default
    So be it. Fix the terrain… not the Sprint.

If at any point you stop sprinting or start walking… then you should not be in a mode of sprint. It is un-intuitive.

It was a creative solution to get around a problem. A problem? More of an annoyance. And, that being said, you are not fixing the problem/annoyance - you are ‘getting-around’ it.
    Unfortunately, created a host of other problems in the process.

Yours sincerely, an ethusiastic fan,
    g0dLyk

• @SlyGoat:

Toggle sprint works as intended now. If you press shift, you’re in sprint mode - whenever you move forward, you’ll start to sprint. Press shift again and you’re back to walking. Same is true of regular sprinting; if you hold down shift, you’ll always be sprinting even if you stop moving and start moving again.

Ahhh, this clarifies why each patch gives us more bugs instead of fixes.

• @g0dLyk:

This technique was once a skilled co-ordination of timing and dexterity done by high level players. As such, it was not common and only 1 or 2 players a server were pulling it off consistently. Now, sprint is automatic and everyone is lifting off on mass, without the timing/skill needed to execute the sprint as soon as possible and running all over the place.

Overcoming a bad control scheme is not skill. Holding shift-W and still walking until you re-press shift was just an annoying oversight that did nothing but frustrate new players. This is basic game design; you ALWAYS want to let the player do what they intend, and not put control hurdles in the way of that. Imagine that you had to press ] . 8 in rapid succession to sprint, is that more skillful because it’s harder? No, it’s just dumb.

And if you can’t handle people turning and sprinting away from you, then that’s your issue. When people try that against me, I switch to my longsword and kill them. You can’t run from a long weapon if the user is aggressive, you are forced to stand, fight, and parry. The only reason the sprint craze is going on right now is because everyone is finally realizing that it’s the counter to 1H facehugging.

• Going by that logic.

Having to press right-click to parry is a bad control scheme. It gets in the way of me having to defend against an incoming attack. The game should simply read my mind and initiate block when I want it.

That being said, having to move my mouse to parry the point of the weapon is silly. I know I want to parry the sword and not the player, so, to put this unnecessary hurdle in my way is just dumb and you are failing at basic game design with this annoying oversight.

Having easy to pick up mechanics is great. But, if you don’t leave deep fighting mechanics and techniques, which are more difficult to execute, for core fighters to master - then, the game becomes superficial and easily mastered, and, at risk of dying out because there is no potential for evolution of combat.

Also, the dexterity to execute multiple button presses in a timely manner IS a skill. And if you can’t handle that, then that’s your issue.

• You’re mixing two different ideas together. With controls, you character should quickly do whatever you tell it to. Parrying is easy, just right click. Sprinting is easy, just hold shift. Attacking is easy, just left click.

What’s difficult, and where all the depth of the combat comes from, is the application of those controls. Attempting to parry is easy, but it’s difficult to aim it at the enemy weapon and time it right. Sprinting is easy, but you have to know when to run forward and when it’s safe or proper to run away. Attacking is easy, but there’s so many variables as to what opponents you are fighting and what they do that it creates all the depth in the combat in this game.

“Difficult” controls doesn’t create more depth at the higher levels at play, it just fences out newer players because it takes longer to get the basics. The only reason to have “difficult” combinations to do an attack (in a fighting game, for example) is because there’s no simple buttons left on the controller to use it, and you don’t want players to do it accidentally. Hence the weird input necessary to do a shoryuken in street fighter.

• Rus… I think you need to re-read Godlyz message. He was discussing the toggle glitches that arised from the new patch.

Before Patch:
    Toggle, when activated would allow user to run without holding, but deactivate after the user walked backwards, left, right… Re-Toggle activation allowed the user to begin the sprint without holding the shift key.

Now:
    Toggle, activates run until the key is either pressed, or the user is hit and or parries. Resulting in the user unaware of whether or not he was actually sprinting.

Rus was not saying that the runarounds were unskillful rather he was saying that nw that the user’s use toggle more because of the terrain issue was “worked around”. Resulting in the chaotic sprint of 5 players on the opposing team swinging randomly… which is comical. TB should return the toggle to where it was previous.

• @XxSxTxYxLxExSxX:

Toggle, activates run until the key is either pressed, or the user is hit and or parries. Resulting in the user unaware of whether or not he was actually sprinting.

That is incorrect. It only toggles off if you hit shift or die. It worked that way in my 10 minute test; if you experience otherwise, then I highly recommend posting a reliable way to reproduce that behavior.

he was saying that nw that the user’s use toggle more because of the terrain issue was “worked around”. Resulting in the chaotic sprint of 5 players on the opposing team swinging randomly…. which is comical.

That happened before the patch. It’s just a little easier now. In any case, it’s not a problem because you can punish it by being aggressive with a long range weapon. It’s only comical when one side doesn’t deal with it properly.

The one legitimate problem I found is that you can’t regenerate health when sprint is toggled on, even if you aren’t moving forward.

• I feel it’s counter-intuitive as well. If I stop moving, I want to stop sprinting toggle or no. My main gripe is that in order to toggle off sprint, I have to sprint forward a couple of steps because mashing shift while standing still, strafing or back pedaling doesn’t actually toggle sprint - only forward motion.

I have to ask… How often do the devs play this game?

• I agree, the devs are doing a great job, but they only use the input of the Majority of the players, of whom do not relate to the devs understanding of the games program functions. So I think that if a couple of devs played to a high combat skill level with the use of all of the classes and their strategic capabilities, they would understand the issue with this toggle function. And to respond, Put on toggle as active and duel parry to parry and allow yourself to get hit a couple of times, you will then find that you will have to re-toggle a lot, because you really do not know whether or not, you will be sprinting or not.