Idea on improving Archery

• The Problem:
    -now it is possible to aim with a tensioned bow while moving -> archers are dancing around -> engaging enemy archers with a bow is totally ineffective because of the slow flying speed of the arrows.

A possible solution:

• tensioning the bow, etc. should be possible during movement, but to aim you have to stand still . If you move again without shooting, the bow will stay tensioned but will be lowered (until you stop moving).

I hope everybody understands what is meant. For me the dancing archers kill a bit of the immersion (it reminds me of bunny hopping in shooters), also In my opinion the arrows should fly a bit faster. But what do you guys think?

• Agree with you. Oh, and i think Bow/Crossbow sounds should sound bit more stronger.

• Well the main difference between crossbows and bows is that crossbows force you to stand still while shooting, so you’re proposing to simply erase this.

And arrows are already fast enough with rougly twice the speed of a throwing weapon. They’re not bullets you know.

• @Asmon:

And arrows are already fast enough with rougly twice the speed of a throwing weapon. They’re not bullets you know.

First, actually i know. But do you know a longbow could shoot an arrow up to 200 km/h or even more? But that’s not the main issue of the thread.
    Second, there are a lot of differences between bows and crossbows (damage, reloading->fire rate, etc.)
    Third, you can aim with the crossbow while moving in Chivalry (anyway crossbows are easier to handle than a bow in RL, so in Chivalry). I was referring to the problem that you can aim with your bow while moving around.

• If you’re firing at someone who has time to move out of the path of the arrow, then you’re either not leading them properly or you’re too far away.
    Move up and fight by the cart, dagnabit! :P

• @tschangoo:

@Asmon:

anyway crossbows are easier to handle than a bow in RL, so in Chivalry.

maybe crossbows are easier to handle but the idea of not moving for 4.5 seconds on that reload for the heavey crossbow makes it balanced

• @tschangoo:

@Asmon:

First, actually i know. But do you know a longbow could shoot an arrow up to 200 km/h or even more?

Yep they can reach 300 km/h, just as the best thrower can send stuff flying half that speed. Anyway, an archer shooting from the Mason spawn on hillside can easily hit an Agathian exiting his spawn in less than 2s, which is more than fast enough.