"Ethereal swings" extremely widespread

• After the latest patch, my game has been literally flooded with this extremely annoying bug.
    One type of attack of one of my weapons becomes completely useless, literally ethereal. This time it was halberd swing (both normal and alternate), halberd alt-overhead and zweihander overhead (in the same match).

I encountered the bug once or twice before but after the path, it occurs to me almost every match and it becomes more and more frustrating. The affected weapons just consistently phase through people (both blocking and not blocking) like they were air, but they are still affected (i.e. blocked) by the environment. The command aoc_drawtracers works normally and draws tracers even for the attacks that phase through people.

I would like to emphasise that while there are many many frustrating and long overdue bugs in the game, I consider this one to be of extreme seriousness because it affects the very core mechanic of the game (ATTACKING!), effectively castrating the weapon in questin and making the game nigh unplayable.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

After the latest patch, my game has been literally flooded with this extremely annoying bug.
    One type of attack of one of my weapons becomes completely useless, literally ethereal. This time it was halberd swing (both normal and alternate), halberd alt-overhead and zweihander overhead (in the same match).

I encountered the bug once or twice before but after the path, it occurs to me almost every match and it becomes more and more frustrating. The affected weapons just consistently phase through people (both blocking and not blocking) like they were air, but they are still affected (i.e. blocked) by the environment. The command aoc_drawtracers works normally and draws tracers even for the attacks that phase through people.

I would like to emphasise that while there are many many frustrating and long overdue bugs in the game, I consider this one to be of extreme seriousness because it affects the very core mechanic of the game (ATTACKING!), effectively castrating the weapon in questin and making the game nigh unplayable.

Game runs better than ever for me. Only time I would get this is latency issues myself. I do a lot of dragged swings and am getting hits everytime right up until last moments of tracer, so this might be your end, or latency. I only use the zweihander when I play vanguard.

• @Anonymoose:

I only use the zweihander when I vanguard

I have been assured there is a special place in hell for you. Just saying.
    [attachment=0:3nvdxgpt]Bill_Door_by_Karelias-500.jpg[/attachment:3nvdxgpt]

• @Anonymoose:

Game runs better than ever for me. Only time I would get this is latency issues myself.

I specifically choose servers with the least amount of ping and the ethereal swings happen regardless of circumstances, a particular type of attack of a particular weapon is just ethereal consistently. Respawn does not help, changing weapons back and forth does not help. It helps to take a different weapon but when I got rid of the affected halberd, took a zweihander (i like this one too) but learnt it was afflicted too, a ragequit followed soon.

I do admit that it is sometimes fun to run against my own heaily damaged teammates, swinging wildly left and right with a halberd and scaring the shit out of them but still… and as a zweihander user yourself, you must know that a zweihander without its overhead is a castrated non-weapon.

BTW the last patch seems to be pretty much alright for me, except this singular and exceedingly frustrating issue.

• Yeah I’ve actually stopped using the Zweihander since the patch, but it was my Vanguard weapon of choice before. Something just doesn’t seem right with it now and what you say about “ethereal swings” sounds familiar.

• Ghost swings… ethereal swings… paranormal parries and spectral echoes. I’m sensing a pattern.

• Haven’t had this issue either. My personal issue is the stabs that come straight on going right through a parry. There’s nothing easier to parry than a stab that’s coming right at you, center mass, yet somehow it connects because facehug?

• Oh man I voted no thinking you were talking about the “ghost” swings, and then managed to read your comment below (sorry I’m newer to the forums… I had thought the explanation would be in the vote post).

Yes, I have noticed this. I’ve made it out of situations that I’m pretty positive I should not have (damn vanguards and their helicoptering).

It happens a LOT more often to my benefit than against me. I see blades pass through me fairly often, but have only noticed it happen with one of my weapons maybe 3-4 times total (and I play quite a bit).

• Oh hey, weird thinking here.

The next patch notes say that it’s fixing a “ghost swing” issue where after someone is flinched an animation still plays out, even though there isn’t a swing.

We should all try and pay attention to if we’re being hit and if when weapons pass through us the enemy was hit in time to flinch. Could just be that?

• Please pay attantion to the distinction between “ghost swings” and “ethereal swings”.

“Ghost swing” is an animation playing out incorrectly in a very specific situation.

“Ethereal swing” is a perfectly regular attack that just phases through your opponents without doing any damage and it plagues a particular type of attack of a particular weapon constantly unless you change server (changing weapon there and back, changing class there and back, loading next round… all those do NOT help).

It means for example that EVERY overhead with a Zweihander deals no damage, or EVERY swing with a halberd deals no damage. It does not have anything to do with flinching. You have to use other types of attack or other weapons. The attack is perfectly visible by everybody, people tend to react normally with a parry (of course to no avail, the attack just phases through them regardless, dealing no damage).

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

It means for example that EVERY overhead with a Zweihander deals no damage, or EVERY swing with a halberd deals no damage.

I’m not so sure that’s entirely accurate, I had a fight with a guy just under an hour ago where the weapon went through me with a horizontal swing (and I did pay attention- definitely didn’t flinch him), however he hit me a few moments later with the same horizontal swing. As well I saw many of the same class using the same weapons (archer daggers, though possibly different ones…?) all throughout the game without anyone mentioning it or anyone noticing it happen. It was just a one time occurrence.

This happens to my advantage much much MUCH more than to my disadvantage, though. I’m curious as to why that is, or maybe if I’m just not noticing it due to comboing etc.

It’s definitely there though, and it’s becoming more noticeable to my eye.

• Yes, those happen to me too. But I guess this is an unrelated problem, it may even be the actual ghost swing (maybe you didn’t notice the guy got hit just before it).

I guess the answer lies here:

This happens to my advantage much much MUCH more than to my disadvantage, though. I’m curious as to why that is, or maybe if I’m just not noticing it due to comboing etc.

If it happens so much to your advantage (BTW I have the same impression - my ration would be something like 5 to 1), it is likely that you see something that is not really happening for the other players (but I always try to ask the player about what happened).

However my “ethereal swings” are pretty visible to me and the other players, who regularly try to react to them, and they plague every single instance of the affected attack type, which I consider a much more serious issue because the weapon essentially becomes useless.

• Hey there,
    thanks for clarification on those two weird swings. I say I experience both the etheral and the ghost swing on a daily basis. It’s really annoying when such crap ruins your 10-kill streak…

• I am going to venture a presumptuous guess and assume no one here duels or plays with drawtracers on and records to watch over it. Swings that phase through people really just happen so rarely unless its latency that I personally don’t think this is real, but instead is a players misunderstanding of when your weapon stops damaging. If you play more with tracers on and especially recording those duels/matches over, you will see exactly why you missed, everytime, and after over 1100 hours in this game and recording and watching over a lot of my play, I believe(never said fact) that this is people misjudging weapon length and/or release time of the weapon in each case.

High latency is the only cause to be real for this in my experience. Even when I think its BS ingame if I think my attack should have hit, watching over the recording always shows the truth, especially with drawtracers on.

• @Anonymoose:

I am going to venture a presumptuous guess and assume no one here duels or plays with drawtracers on and records to watch over it. Swings that phase through people really just happen so rarely unless its latency that I personally don’t think this is real, but instead is a players misunderstanding of when your weapon stops damaging. If you play more with tracers on and especially recording those duels/matches over, you will see exactly why you missed, everytime, and after over 1100 hours in this game and recording and watching over a lot of my play, I believe(never said fact) that this is people misjudging weapon length and/or release time of the weapon in each case.

High latency is the only cause to be real for this in my experience. Even when I think its BS ingame if I think my attack should have hit, watching over the recording always shows the truth, especially with drawtracers on.

Would that not be significantly more useful when playing in third person? I also find the tracers extremely distracting =[

• @Daiyuki:

@Anonymoose:

I am going to venture a presumptuous guess and assume no one here duels or plays with drawtracers on and records to watch over it. Swings that phase through people really just happen so rarely unless its latency that I personally don’t think this is real, but instead is a players misunderstanding of when your weapon stops damaging. If you play more with tracers on and especially recording those duels/matches over, you will see exactly why you missed, everytime, and after over 1100 hours in this game and recording and watching over a lot of my play, I believe(never said fact) that this is people misjudging weapon length and/or release time of the weapon in each case.

Would that not be significantly more useful when playing in third person? I also find the tracers extremely distracting =[[/quote]

Tracers can be distracting, I don’t mind them too much, but while recording with tracers, you can watch back over things that happened during the fight and slow down the video to see exactly what happened and why you missed. For example, while crouching your tracers are a bit off center from what your blade looks like. Go ahead and try ingame, take a longer sword and its easier to see, but when you crouch, tracers aren’t quite lined up where you would think, which can cause some misses that look like hits without tracer on, because the blade passes through the opponent but the tracer is off center from the blade slightly. There have been many times since I crouch a lot of my swings where I will overhead at a guys torso/arms and the blade slashes through him and then decaps him or misses, since the tracers are a bit raised it can hit his neck or easily miss while looking like a hit. There are many examples of this on my stream and when I get home later I can link a couple spots with times if anyone wants to see what I mean. It is much easier to see in combat.

Also, since there are a lot of times where you won’t see your blade in first person, a lot of people are missing out by not turning tracers on occassion and seeing exactly what their blade is doing while they swing. I found that to be a considerable help for dragged/accellerated attacks as in first P you can’t always see your blade and I only play in first person. You can go into third person to help see your animations while doing it, but it is a great help even to first person players while in first person.

• @Anonymoose:

I am going to venture a presumptuous guess and assume no one here duels or plays with drawtracers on and records to watch over it. Swings that phase through people really just happen so rarely unless its latency that I personally don’t think this is real, but instead is a players misunderstanding of when your weapon stops damaging.

No.
    You assume too much. Yesterday, I hit rank 41, I know pretty well when my weapon deals damage, how close I need to be etc. And no, it’s not latency, it’s bugged attack type - for example Zweihänder overhead. It phases consistently ( = every single instance of the overhead attack with zweihander) through living targets harmlessly (even when I am really close), they can see it and try to react to it. Every other attack with the sword deals damage normally.

If you play more with tracers

It has nothing to do with this. I tried to activate tracers when afflicted with this bug and they were drawn normally.

addendum:
    I can’t make a video for this but this topic has already been mentioned here and here.

Here is a in-action video from the first topic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82_jm6R … e=youtu.be
    Of course you can cast doubt on the precision of some of these strikes. But…

…here is a video from a controlled environment:
    http://www.twitch.tv/amiontv/b/360329069
    where the bug is caught really beautifully and you can clearly see IT IS NOT A DISTANCE OR A LATENCY ISSUE.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

@Anonymoose:

I am going to venture a presumptuous guess and assume no one here duels or plays with drawtracers on and records to watch over it. Swings that phase through people really just happen so rarely unless its latency that I personally don’t think this is real, but instead is a players misunderstanding of when your weapon stops damaging.

No.
    You assume too much. Yesterday, I hit rank 41, I know pretty well when my weapon deals damage, how close I need to be etc. And no, it’s not latency, it’s bugged attack type - for example Zweihänder overhead. It phases consistently ( = every single instance of the overhead attack with zweihander) through living targets harmlessly (even when I am really close), they can see it and try to react to it. Every other attack with the sword deals damage normally.

If you play more with tracers

It has nothing to do with this. I tried to activate tracers when afflicted with this bug and they were drawn normally.

addendum:
    I can’t make a video for this but this topic has already been mentioned here and here.

Here is a in-action video from the first topic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82_jm6R … e=youtu.be
    Of course you can cast doubt on the precision of some of these strikes. But…

…here is a video from a controlled environment:
    http://www.twitch.tv/amiontv/b/360329069
    where the bug is caught really beautifully and you can clearly see IT IS NOT A DISTANCE OR A LATENCY ISSUE.

Now take it easy sir, you seem upset. I said in my post multiple times this was an assumption not fact, and that I had not seen video evidence and asked you to record as myself and no one I know has heard of this. Many rank 41’s are pretty incompetent and I personally did not believe this, but I thank you for video evidence, I have never seen that before.

Either way what was up with you having no health or stamina? Seems fishy. The first video was definitely misses though. The third hit would have connected, but he killed you first, or as it connected. What is your average ping in these videos? The first video you can clearly see that you miss the first 2 strikes, but as he kills you with the third your blade is starting to pass through him as he stabs you, leading me to believe you had about 100-150 average ping, which can easily sway all these videos too, combined with bad FPS on the stream. There is something more to this it feels like, something is missing that you did to queue up the problem because the youtube video is definite misses and/or also latency, but in the stream you straight up start with no health/stam at all, and cannot hit anything at all.

Without video evidence it sounds just as bad as all the people complaining about facehug blocking when in reality its just failure to block properly. All these people making threads about the game being broken you kind of lose faith in the community.

• @Anonymoose:

Now take it easy sir, you seem upset.

I was upset because it’s like the fifth time I tried to explain the bug. In fact it is a little bit different from those in the videos because my “ethereal attack” tends to plague only one type of attack on one type of weapon while the videos show people not being able to hit at all.

Moreover, those videos have been there for quite some time and my issue was not the existence itself of this bug but it’s much higher frequency after the last patch.

Either way what was up with you having no health or stamina?

I did not make either of the videos. I am aware that the first one is open to discussion, so let’s concentrate on the second one where the people are not moving, so it can’t be a latency issue.