Question about combos and "counterattacks"

• Hello everyone just got the game today , I played , I did some guide and wiki reading and now I have some questions.
    (great game btw)

-Combos: I learned that thrusts cannot be used in a combo.
    I take it this means I cannot thrust after another attack to remove my recovery delay but can I combo another attack AFTER a thrust?Thus removing the recovery of the thrust attack?

-Counterattacking: If I got this straight this is the same as using a combo , except you use it after you block and supposedly you attack faster.
    But the author(chivalry wiki) mentions that the thrust is your best choice for this
    How is the thrust the best chose since he said before that thrust cannot be used as a combo and then he said that counter attacking works like a combo?

-Shields: does your recover time increases even if they are not on your hand?
    Does your speed decrease if they are on your back ?

Thanks.

• @pwnzor:

Hello everyone just got the game today , I played , I did some guide and wiki reading and now I have some questions.
    (great game btw)

I take it this means I cannot thrust after another attack to remove my recovery delay but can I combo another attack AFTER a thrust?Thus removing the recovery of the thrust attack?

-Counterattacking: If I got this straight this is the same as using a combo , except you use it after you block and supposedly you attack faster.
    But the author(chivalry wiki) mentions that the thrust is your best choice for this
    How is the thrust the best chose since he said before that thrust cannot be used as a combo and then he said that counter attacking works like a combo?

Thanks.

You cannot combo two thrusts together, but you can for instance thrust > overhead / swing or swing/overhead > thrust. Regardless of how you attack, it’s a progressive curve of Windup > Release > Recovery. When you combo, you skip the recovery by going into another windup, but a combo windup is longer than an ordinary attack windup.

You can break this by doing a thrust into windup, release, starting a combo, and then feinting (cancelling your attack). This will eliminate recovery time. You can also cancel your attacks prior to their windup ending. Default button for this is Q. Note that you cannot execute this to attack faster than normal. It used to be a bug that you could start a combo and cancel it immediately to skip recovery or the longer windup of a combo attack, and simply attack again normally right away. This has been fixed besides one weapon (maybe two) I won’t mention.

Counter attacks aren’t like combos. It’s quite simple, when you parry an attack there is a brief window where you can initiate any attack and it will skip ahead in its windup so the release comes sooner. A weapon in release will do damage regardless of where it is at or how fast it’s moving. Thrusts are usually the best option for counterattacking because they are faster than swings or overhead attacks.

Note that you cannot counterattack when blocking with a shield.

Your recovery times won’t increase unless you’re wielding the shield in your arm. On your back, the only difference it provides is passive projectile cover.

Welcome to the game by the way, it will never let you go. ;)

• There is a game mechanic where you can combo off a successful parry.

Watch out for people with the sword of war. Some of them know that the parry stab combo is really fast.

And only try archer once you confident in using fast low damaging melee weapons and good at throwing weapons.

• @The:

@pwnzor:

Hello everyone just got the game today , I played , I did some guide and wiki reading and now I have some questions.
    (great game btw)

Thanks.

You cannot combo two thrusts together, but you can for instance thrust > overhead / swing or swing/overhead > thrust. Regardless of how you attack, it’s a progressive curve of Windup > Release > Recovery. When you combo, you skip the release by going into another windup, but a combo windup is longer than an ordinary attack windup.

You can break this by doing a thrust into windup, release, starting a combo, and then feinting (cancelling your attack). This will eliminate recovery time. You can also cancel your attacks prior to their windup ending. Default button for this is Q. Note that you cannot execute this to attack faster than normal. It used to be a bug that you could start a combo and cancel it immediately to skip recovery or the longer windup of a combo attack, and simply attack again normally right away. This has been fixed besides one weapon (maybe two) I won’t mention.

Counter attacks aren’t like combos. It’s quite simple, when you parry an attack there is a brief window where you can initiate any attack and it will skip ahead in its windup so the release comes sooner. A weapon in release will do damage regardless of where it is at or how fast it’s moving. Thrusts are usually the best option for counterattacking because they are faster than swings or overhead attacks.

Your recovery times won’t increase unless you’re wielding the shield in your arm. On your back, the only difference it provides is passive projectile cover.

Thank you both for the helpful replies.

I got a little confused I am sorry.

You said combos bypass the release , did you mean they bypass the windup?
    If combos have slower windup that normal attacks , why use them?
    Are they still overall faster?

One more question so I don’t add another thread.
    When I sprint charge with my vanguard , do I get the special attack bonus with any of the three attack types or only with left click?(swing)

Thank you.

I

• @The:

@pwnzor:

(great game btw)

Thanks.

You cannot combo two thrusts together, but you can for instance thrust > overhead / swing or swing/overhead > thrust. Regardless of how you attack, it’s a progressive curve of Windup > Release > Recovery. When you combo, you skip the release by going into another windup, but a combo windup is longer than an ordinary attack windup.

Thank you both for the helpful replies.

I got a little confused I am sorry.

One more question so I don’t add another thread.
    When I sprint charge with my vanguard , do I get the special attack bonus with any of the three attack types or only with left click?(swing)

Thank you.

I

• Sorry I meant to say it bypasses recovery and instead starts a longer windup (for a combo). Windup > Release > start combo > Longer windup > release

• @pwnzor:

Yeah, he meant recovery. In the case of performing 2 attacks separately you’d deal with:

Windup -> Release -> Recovery -> Windup -> Release -> Recovery.

Using a combo to perform 2 attacks it becomes:

Windup -> Release -> Combo Windup -> Release -> Recovery.

The windup is indeed longer than normal, but you’re skipping recovery completely.