[WEP] Sword of War - "Yes, stabbed you in the buttass!"

• [image:2am2jsmu]http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/weapon_select_swordofwar-300x228.png[/image:2am2jsmu]

The Sword of War is very unique weapon that the knight class has available. To unleash its full potential it is essential that you know what makes it different in its use. First, let´s look at the stats of the SoW in the damage spread sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

We can see that the majority of the damage to heavier classes (knights and vanguards) comes through the stab. You should also note that the slash attack of this weapon is very weak and should be used rarely. The stab is also the fastest attack of any of knight´s bastard´s swords. It also has the shortest recovery time, meaning you´ll be punished less for missing a strike.

1) Fighting style

So now we can start formulate a strategy based on the weapon strength. After playing quite a long time with this weapon I can advise you one big thing: Stab, Stab, STAB aaaand once again stab!. The sword is really fast, excells in duels and it´s designed to take out a single enemy quickly.

The majority of your combos should be:

Stab -> Overhead -> Stab

This combo can 2 shot MAAs, Archers, Vanguards and 3 shot knigts with torso shots.
    Against the lighter classes it doesn´t matter that much which combo you throw out there but you want to take advantage of the alternate slash because it is faster (by now so far) than the regular slash and chain that with the stab to achieve the kill.

Parry counters

You want to master these, especially parry -> stab: unbelievably fast and it will get you tons of kills. But it takes a decent amount of practice to be able to parry counter consistantly. Now, to mix things up a bit you should also use parry - > overhead and follow it up with stab - > overhead. To kill a knight this way you need to land one of the overheads in the head otherwise you will not be able to 3 shot him.

Feints

Feinting a stab is almost unreadable due to it´s speed and wonky animation so make use of that. Throwing a feint in between your combos is a great way to establish a complete dominance during the fight.
    Something else you want to practice is feint - > parry. If you start your attack realising the opponent is gonna hit you first, you want to cancel the attack and parry to save health and do that powerfull parry - > stab. Now, I consider myself no master of this mechanic and I´m still struggling with it, definitely can use your suggestions and tips :-).

2) Role on the battlefield

In my opinion you can take this weapon pretty much anywhere. If you can spawn camp with this beast, go for it, your teammates are gonna have an easy task on the objective. The speed of the Sword of War makes you very versatile in your engagements. You can also do very well fighting alongside your teammates and I recommend it for you´ll be doing minimal TK damage.

The SoW is now by far my favourite sword, it is a fucking monster to carry around. I also consider this to be the hardest sword to master because it requires much more presicion with those stabs and overheads.

Practice 1 vs 2 fights!

The FFAs are probably the best for practicing fighting multiple enemies at once. The way I do it is I stab the 1st guy, combo into and overhead and try to hit the 2nd guy that´s coming towards me for he will not be expecting me to hit him. Stab - > overhead combos are really fast and you can bounce around multiple guys and slay many of them, the speed will allow you to do that.

Conclusion:

50% stab
    30% overhead
    15% skill
    5% slash

• Does anybody else agree that this sword should see a rework in its animations?

• @AbyssusAther:

Does anybody else agree that this sword should see a rework in its animations?

Not sure what you mean but it´s a sword and the animations are pretty straight I think. They may bug sometimes becasuse of the lag…

• @funthomass:

@AbyssusAther:

Not sure what you mean but it´s a sword and the animations are pretty straight I think. They may bug sometimes becasuse of the lag…

The stab is unpredictable at close range and it’s so easy to feint with this weapon, that’s what i meant.

• @AbyssusAther:

Aye. In close, you take damage while the sword is still pointing up at like 30 degrees rather than being pointed straight, which looks like it’s still in windup. Makes it rather hard to read if your opponent feints regularly as well.

• right on with pretty much everything about the sword.

And to the other inquiries or statements as far as animations, etc. This sword is like still considered one of the MOST balanced weapons, i go against SoW a lot, and i think it’s one of the most consistent weapons IMO as far as being able to parry, it’s animations staying in sync, all that shit… it’s a very good, balanced sword and is VERY popular. It’s my go-to knight weapon for sure, and VERY good in duels, TO, FFA, i mean anything. It can take on multiple or a single enemy very well, as daiyiuki said… very quick pokes… unless you like to throw your opponent off with drags which also help, especially with the combo poke coming quickly after, pokes and overhands are really all ya need.

Also, with ANY weapon, the feint to parry is a very effective tool to have in your arsenal, probably the most important to practice, because it does take practice. I would spend at least an entire day dueling practicing feint to parry as i did.