Can you improve Double Axe?

• In what areas does Double Axe excel? It’s short and slow and has lower damage than grand mace.

• Maybe they could reduce the release and combo speed to make it a sorta reverse-Norse axe

• Bump the damage so an overhead can kill kill an archer with a body shot and a MAA with a headshot. The swing should definitely be able to twoshot a knight in the torso.

• @Helgeran:

Bump the damage so an overhead can kill kill an archer with a body shot and a MAA with a headshot. The swing should definitely be able to twoshot a knight in the torso.

I’m not sure about the knight 2shot (if you want to kill knights, take a blunt weapon) but otherwise it makes sense - make it an ultimate knight weapon against light classes. Right now it so difficult to land a hit with it (more difficult than maul) that a success should really be rewarded accordingly.

• the point is to try and make this into a niche weapon
    turning it into a slightly shorter maul is not the way to go

I stand by my fix for making it combo better

• @BB:

the point is to try and make this into a niche weapon
    turning it into a slightly shorter maul is not the way to go

I stand by my fix for making it combo better

I disagree.

I think it should be a piece blunt version of the Maul. In fact, I think it’s even shorter than the Maul going by memory but a little bit faster.

They should make it an absolute monster and it should devastate anyone it hits.

• In what areas does Double Axe excel?

It doesn’t, assuming we are making a comparison to the rest of the Knight’s arsenal, or even the ‘category’ it’s in; it’s category based counterparts outrange it, outdamage it, and are faster than the Double Axe. The Bearded Axe changes way back were a mistake, in my honest opinion, and the entire category needs looking at. Things got screwed up big time when buffs meant for the Double Axe were accidentally applied to the Poleaxe, then the Poleaxe got fixed but the Double Axe was left unchanged and is basically very close to what it was when the game released.

• @Martin:

It doesn’t, assuming we are making a comparison to the rest of the Knight’s arsenal, or even the ‘category’ it’s in; it’s category based counterparts outrange it, outdamage it, and are faster than the Double Axe. The Bearded Axe changes way back were a mistake, in my honest opinion, and the entire category needs looking at. Things got screwed up big time when buffs meant for the Double Axe were accidentally applied to the Poleaxe, then the Poleaxe got fixed but the Double Axe was left unchanged and is basically very close to what it was when the game released.

Agreed.

All changes made to this tier of weapons should be reverted in my opinion. The Beard is straight up broken as is, with combo feints and what not, and the Pole Axe had its nuts lopped off. Bearded Axe was a niche playstyle before it got Schwarzenegger buffed. I really didn’t see the need to both buff the Beard and nerf the Pole, although my pole has a pretty epic beard. :D

I’d revert the changes to the other axes, keep the windup for the Dub but REALLY decrease the combo time to bring it up to speed with the other weapons in the tier. For how short it is, the Double Axe should be quicker, not the slowest of the axes.

• The bearded axe isn’t broken as such. Nothing about it by itself is broken - feints are breaking it. Without addressing that, trying to fix the bearded axe is pointless. They need to address the screwy game mechanic first and tweak the weapon later if it still needs it (it probably won’t).

• I think it’d be cool if you could hold parry with the double axe because this is doable in RL. It’s Achieved by catching a weapon in the wings of the axe blade and turning the attack away.

You can kinda get the idea in this stylish animation at around 60sec in.
    http://au.gamespot.com/neverwinter-nights/videos/neverwinter-nights-intro-movie-2857212/

@HEXEN:

…For how short it is, the Double Axe should be quicker, not the slowest of the axes.

PS the battleaxe or ‘doubleaxe’ is VERY heavy. The size is less important. Nevertheless its heavy weight is why the above maneuver is effective with this weapon.

• @Dick:

The bearded axe isn’t broken as such. Nothing about it by itself is broken - feints are breaking it. Without addressing that, trying to fix the bearded axe is pointless. They need to address the screwy game mechanic first and tweak the weapon later if it still needs it (it probably won’t).

Please don’t.

Before they messed with the weapon it was fine. After the patch, it became combo feint master of doom. Nothing about feint changed.

• You misunderstood me. Regardless of feints as a mechanic in their intended use, they are very clearly enabling an exploit with the bearded axe. The balancing factor in the bearded axe is intended to be its slow combo speed, and that would work - if not for combo-feint-attack completely negating that downside. The exploit needs to be addressed before any changes to the weapon.

• Double axe is fine now :) make it oneshot archers and MaA and it will be amazing

on a serious note, its balanced because it has the shit-weapon factor with it, when people see a knight with a double axe they expect him to be total shit, and if you kill people with it in duels they cant say anything

• I still stand behind my idea that the Double Axe should have its own unique kill animation.

When you slash someone in the torso with it for the kill, it should lop the person in half at the waist, then the upper half should crawl around using it’s arms for like 2 or 3 “drags” before it dies.

The player that got killed won’t count as dead until that animation ends, so your useless crawling upper half can still get teabagged or dismembered by other players while you watch it happen.

• @CRUSHED:

on a serious note, its balanced because it has the shit-weapon factor with it, when people see a knight with a double axe they expect him to be total shit,

Well… most of the time he lives up to the expectations… When I get killed by the stupid-axe, it tends to be from behind or when I commit very serious faults I would not dare with against other weapons. And I feel filthy every time I get killed by this weapon.

• @giantyak:

I think it’d be cool if you could hold parry with the double axe because this is doable in RL. It’s Achieved by catching a weapon in the wings of the axe blade and turning the attack away.

You can kinda get the idea in this stylish animation at around 60sec in.
    http://au.gamespot.com/neverwinter-nights/videos/neverwinter-nights-intro-movie-2857212/

@HEXEN:

…For how short it is, the Double Axe should be quicker, not the slowest of the axes.

PS the battleaxe or ‘doubleaxe’ is VERY heavy. The size is less important. Nevertheless its heavy weight is why the above maneuver is effective with this weapon.

I’m a bit sad this hasn’t been discussed :(

• @giantyak:

I think it’d be cool if you could hold parry with the double axe because this is doable in RL. It’s Achieved by catching a weapon in the wings of the axe blade and turning the attack away.

No, just no. Please don’t even bring up the special properties of the individual weapons.
    You would be amazed what can be done with a halberd IRL. There is a reason why guardists in Europe almost completely switched to halberd-like weapons by the end of middle-ages. Halberd is OP in real life because it’s basic stabbing attack which can be very long and very fast is extremely difficult to counter properly.

• Don’t lecture me about halberds, this is a discussion about the double axe. I’m well aware of the halberds ability and its still a good weapon in game anyway.

• @Helgeran:

Bump the damage so an overhead can kill kill an archer with a body shot and a MAA with a headshot. The swing should definitely be able to twoshot a knight in the torso.

I agree with this. It is slow and short range, so it should dominate when it hits. As it stands, the Messer is better in every single attribute, so there’s no point in using the DA once you’ve gotten it, other than for BA points.

• @Tankcommander:

@Helgeran:

I agree with this. It is slow and short range, so it should dominate when it hits. As it stands, the Messer is better in every single attribute, so there’s no point in using the DA once you’ve gotten it, other than for BA points.

But then we have maul and grand mace. Should Double axe be stronger than Maul or equal?