Why TPV is largely superior to FPV

• Because in FPV for the best advantage, you set your FoV to 120. The game looks like trash now with warped depth perception, it looks like you ate some bad shrooms or something. So the argument, “the game looks better in FPV” is gone out the window.

How about gameplay wise, doesn’t FPV foster better gameplay overall? Nope, you can see your own player hit box in TPV and its far easier to judge where the enemy’s weapon is going to hit you, negating a lot of the problems you see with face hugging, in FPV you have NO clue where to block a face hugger. Also shields are more balanced in TPV, they are already pretty easy to get around/kick, along with their attack speed and stamina penalties, they don’t also need to completely block the vision of the user as well…

Sure now you can do stuff like look down constantly and spam vertical strikes, but that’s possible in the first place due to the game’s abusable real-time swing system, there’s not much we can do about that.

• I started with TPV now I only do FPV

personally I couldn’t care less if someone else is using TPV with some small advantage

• every view has its advantages and disadvantages, however i only use fpv for archers, the other classes i do in tpv, i would try archer in tpv but its pointless as the 1st view and 3rd views cross hair are way off target to where ur arrows actually hit

• You hear a lot of people talking about this and I think it’s what you’re used to. I have my mouse sensitivity jacked all the way up so I can look all around very easily while I played FPV. I can’t get a hang of TPV. I find most of my “game” is parrying and combos, so TPV just doesn’t cut it for me. I’m sure we all have out own experiences.

I think this “advantage” is being utilized by players who don’t necessarily chose their battles wisely. I personally don’t normally charge into a 3 on 1 situation willingly so I don’t find myself surrounded as much as I used to. I think there’s a significant loss of accuracy for both parrying and weapon attacks, but again- to each his own.

• No I actually played in 90 fov FPV most of the time, or whatever the “standard” FOV was. I never played in TPV b/c I knew several servers didn’t allow it, but after trying it some I realized how much better the game was in TPV. Atm, I’m trying to learn how to play at 120 FOV FPV, and it looks like I’m looking through a glass globe.

• In my opinion the only big advantage that Third Person has over First Person is the ability to accelerate your attacks much more efficiently and accurately. It’s a pretty big advantage even though it’s just one thing…

Well that and looking around corners…that’s pretty big too.

• I’ve found that with 120 FOV that it makes weapons reaches appear just ever so slightly longer than they should be. Probably just me. It has its advantages sure, feels less claustrophobic, but it can mean your death if you misjudge some weapon swing and charge in only to be nicked by the tip.

• I alternate between third and first person (95 fov) and dont notice much of a difference. Its mostly a matter or preference imo, i dont think there are especially significant advantages or disadvantages. Doesnt change my kdr at all.

• Been playing with my FoV at 120 since the start and I don’t notice a warped depth perception at all. Game still looks fantastic on my end.

• The increased FOV i find interesting. Why do you guys do it? It makes the game look extremely distorted. And I don’t see how important that extra small amount of view could possibly be in chivalry. That would only be somewhat helpful in like, a fast paced game with guns. Quake.

Does it help with blocking at all?

• @theuprising:

Because in FPV for the best advantage, you set your FoV to 120. The game looks like trash now with warped depth perception, it looks like you ate some bad shrooms or something. So the argument, “the game looks better in FPV” is gone out the window.

I’m pretty sure I don’t have my FOV set that much…. I have no need to. I have ears for what I don’t see and not having a wider view simulates for me having a helmet on and thus, more involving.

I don’t like having high FOV’s with that odd tunnel vision look.

How about gameplay wise, doesn’t FPV foster better gameplay overall? Nope, you can see your own player hit box in TPV and its far easier to judge where the enemy’s weapon is going to hit you, negating a lot of the problems you see with face hugging, in FPV you have NO clue where to block a face hugger. Also shields are more balanced in TPV, they are already pretty easy to get around/kick, along with their attack speed and stamina penalties, they don’t also need to completely block the vision of the user as well…

Instead, you have your upper body completely blocking your view in Third Person…. and what’s worse, it’s most of the centre area of the screen where you need to see what’s really going on.

So now I have my view of an enemy blocked by my character during combat, rather than just the sides of the screen around an enemy of my weapon and/or shield.

On top of all that, my response time is distracted by my own characters movements as well as the enemy’s, especially when so close together.

Even with a shield up (excluding the tower shield) I can still see enough of what my enemy is going to do and I usually don’t have the shield up until an attack is coming in, and if I leave the enemy or their weapon off my screen and thus, not see the attack coming… that’s my own ineptitude and fault for not being a better player.

I either see what they’re doing and can react just fine… or I can predict what they’re going to do and react just fine.

Also, in First Person, my attacks are far more accurate and predicable when it comes to where they will land.

Sure now you can do stuff like look down constantly and spam vertical strikes, but that’s possible in the first place due to the game’s abusable real-time swing system, there’s not much we can do about that.

Sure there is…. any idiot who does that leave themselves totally exposed for any attack I wish, because any blocks or parries they attempt will be facing the ground and null & void… I just need to block/parry or dodge their idiotic attack once and then they’re as good as dead.

Still don’t see much of a superiority of third person.

I’ve seen plenty of players using third person running away for a while, making you chase them… they can see behind them, thus you, and then eventually turn around for a quick attack… but this is pretty predictable and the last five players I’ve encountered who tried this, didn’t last very long.

Third Person View gives players over confidence in their abilities which are no better (or worse) than a first person player and end up dying more often from my experience.

Bottom line is that people will like whatever view suits their playing style… for you, Third person seems to work for you. For me and many others, First Person is preferred.

@JCash:

The increased FOV i find interesting. Why do you guys do it? It makes the game look extremely distorted. And I don’t see how important that extra small amount of view could possibly be in chivalry. That would only be somewhat helpful in like, a fast paced game with guns. Quake.

Does it help with blocking at all?

It also depends on the monitor you are using… a wider screen monitor will handle a 120 FOV decently and look pretty normal, but if you used the same FOV on a 4:3 ratio monitor (for example) it’d look horrible… the centre of the screen would look very far away, the edges of the screen would be stretched.

Myself, I just stick to 90 FOV. I could probably increase it due to the size of my monitor, but I see no need to. I’m usually in the top 5 in any match (or top 3 in Duels) so things seem to work just fine for me at the moment.

I only switched to 90 FOV in the last year or two… for years I just stuck to 70-75 FOV as I felt detail and accuracy of the centre of my screen was more important than seeing things from the sides of my screen that my ears can normally detect. It allowed me to make some accurate shots and have a quicker response time against other players in FPS’s, while they viewed me at a slightly further distance.

Check these screenshots out for an example of FOV and Monitor Screen Space:

[image:23gqr8m7]http://i.imgur.com/ZTq0I.jpg[/image:23gqr8m7]

[image:23gqr8m7]http://files.enjin.com.s3.amazonaws.com/68046/modules/forum/attachments/2011-09-21_00011_1316565159.jpg[/image:23gqr8m7]

^ This is a Multi Monitor Setup…. for this, you need a higher FOV… the wider your view area, the wider your FOV should be. Make it too much for what you have available and it all looks like crap. In the above images, even though the sides look a bit scretched, the centre monitor you’d be using for gameplay would be perfectly normal.

• I dislike TPV. If you want TPV version of this game, go play war of roses if you ask me.

• So many things about this game piss me off and part of it is the community who hold outdated views based on the AoC mod. FPV is a TERRIBLE way to play the game. Why? Because for the biggest advantage in FPV, you either get a huge monitor or set your FoV to 120, at which point you’ve either blown 1000 bucks on the game or the game looks like you’re looking through a snowglobe.

Also shield play is more balanced in TPV. The buckler no longer covers more of your screen than the kite shield, and it isn’t required to use 120 FoV to use the knight’s shields.

• @RavenDice:

I dislike TPV. If you want TPV version of this game, go play war of roses if you ask me.

War of the roses’ combat system is a lot more skillbased, with hitboxes that are a lot more accurate, so imitating war of the roses is something we should strive for imo…

• Damn all this time I thought filed of view was like in wow, just how far you can see not how wide….!

“I’ve seen plenty of players using third person running away for a while, making you chase them… they can see behind them, thus you, and then eventually turn around for a quick attack… but this is pretty predictable and the last five players I’ve encountered who tried this, didn’t last very long.”

I see people owning in TO with this against noobs, especially ones that seem to run extra fast. They go like 35-5.

I don’t like third person being in the game but that is my personal opinion, it should have more of a disadvantage. I look down over head with the bardiche in FP?! I never knew I did it until about a month ago when I saw people complaining on the forums complaining. I then realized I do it without even thinking about it!.

• 3rd person makes shields more balanced?

A good shield user in 3rd person was pretty much unstoppable in 1v1. They have the absolutely massive advantage of being essentially immune to feints, and their only drawback is lack of visibility.

3rd person generally makes the game easier, but I wouldn’t say more balanced than everyone using 1st person.

• @Dr.Nick:

In my opinion the only big advantage that Third Person has over First Person is the ability to accelerate your attacks much more efficiently and accurately. It’s a pretty big advantage even though it’s just one thing…

Well that and looking around corners…that’s pretty big too.

And ducking… I still have yet to consistently pull off a successful duck in FPV

• It should be pretty clear as to why TPV is largely superior to FPV in the win/loss point of view depending on class that is. However, it is not superior as far as for gaming experience. First person of far more immersive and more demanding in forcing players to know their situational awareness by looking around and checking as well as listening to audio clues. This would be more like a simulator than an arcade game.

I think the big problem really is the cross hair between the various views. They are far from accurate and should totally be removed thus forcing real skill. AOC didn’t have this problem because the camera views were far better and more accurate and TPV was just a novelty. The devs should have kept it first person or went totally 3rd person and these conversations, debates and arguments would not even exist.

Not only that but having 3 different TPVs is ridiculous. If they were going to do it, it should only be the closest 3rd person view that way it would minimize the cheap situational awareness of the other 2 views

• Again when I say shield play is better in TPV I mean within themselves the shields make more sense. There are HUGE penalties for holding a shield already why block your entire screen for picking a buckler, but not a heater shield?

If you wield a shield, you are basically REQUIRED to play at 120 FOV at which point the game looks like trash. I mean you guys who support FPV just don’t make sense your arguments are absurd. So you think the game is meant to be played in FPV at 120 FOV where you can see ghost arms on the screen?

• @theuprising:

Again when I say shield play is better in TPV I mean within themselves the shields make more sense. There are HUGE penalties for holding a shield already why block your entire screen for picking a buckler, but not a heater shield?

If you wield a shield, you are basically REQUIRED to play at 120 FOV at which point the game looks like trash. I mean you guys who support FPV just don’t make sense your arguments are absurd. So you think the game is meant to be played in FPV at 120 FOV where you can see ghost arms on the screen?

Texture clipping is the only problem i have while playing at 120. The so called “Tunnel vision” adds to the immersion imo.