Knight Flail Inferior in every way.

• So just to let the devs know the Knight flail needs a buff considering it is inferior in every aspect to the War Hammer. (1 handed mace class). Slower, less range, and less damage plus the war hammer gets a bigger shield. The flail either needs a damage upgrade or speed preferably considering how short it is. Just to give a heads up. Don’t use the flail till the fix it. Both of them.

• but the Warhammer is overpowered…

• Can you shield bash with Heater?
    If not… then yes, Buckler is necessary with Flail.
    Unless you can add in an attack that hits much faster than the regular wind-up?

• would actually be pretty cool if switching to Heater gave the Knight a stronger but slower scroll-up attack

• Even the description says the flail is faster than the WH but it’s not. Try to use the flail, you get over powered by faster weapons or multiple groups and considering it has no range, multiple groups are difficult. You can parry the flail off so easy. It’s supposed “unpredictable attacks” are like reading the ABC with your eyes closed; you already know what the outcome will be.

So far the flail is useless besides a novelty gag which I enjoy it. In fact i love using it other than the fact it is too slow to do anything but attempt to spam a group with.

• Every time I see a knight approach me with the flail I laugh inside and think to myself “This will be easy.” ;) And sadly a lot of times it is.

• At the moment I feel the flail is fine, just needs a fix with the shield strike (mousewheel up) frequently failing as shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEEZnHPX … e=youtu.be

I want the flail to fulfill a unique role, buffing damage would make it more like the warhammer, so I think we should stay away from that avenue. Faster combo times might be interesting, to allow you to quickly flail about frighteningly fast once the combo chain has started.

• It might be interesting to make the flail in game be more like how knights actually used them. Knights had to constantly twirl the flail or else the strikes would be near worthless. Basically a knight would try to string blows together while keeping the flail twirling. So perhaps in game you click once to get the flail into motion and click again to strike. Right click would cancel the twirl. Keeping the flail twirling slowly drains stamina. Combo speed would be pretty high.

• Hm, I don’t think the flail’s strength originates from it stats. Its main advantage is that it is extremely difficult to read. You see the handle, you see the chain and the spiked ball at its end, but you don’t see them in one straight line most of the time which gives you a very little idea about its actual reach. This is definitely a unique advantage.

• I’ve never really played with the flail, so I could be and most likely will be terribly wrong, but shouldn’t flails have a niche role in that they would ALWAYS get around shields and parries and hit the opponent unless the ball itself is blocked? I feel as if you can successfully parry them by blocking the chain.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Hm, I don’t think the flail’s strength originates from it stats. Its main advantage is that it is extremely difficult to read. You see the handle, you see the chain and the spiked ball at its end, but you don’t see them in one straight line most of the time which gives you a very little idea about its actual reach. This is definitely a unique advantage.

This.

There is definitely something to the flails. I thought they were complete shit up until a week or so ago, but I’ve really started to give the Heavy Flail a fair shot. I at least want to play with it for 10-15 hours to see if I can actually pull a solid strategy out of the weapon.

Was messing around with it yesterday, and you can REALLY throw people with how odd the animations and swings are. You can make slashes look exactly like overheads, and the weapon seems to “mouse drag” fairly well. It’s deceptive, and that can be a big advantage in fights.

• Thanks for the replys. In all honesty from using the flail for quit some time it’s atrocious. It has no range, no speed, and no damage. I’ve ran into groups of other units multiple times to be cut down very quickly. Also the buckler on a knight is laughable. Maybe if the MAA had the flail then it could be useful considering their speed. A knight swinging the flail is laughable and often very predictable. Hence why you never see anyone but a newb using it. That is until they realize it’s only purpose is to get the user killed.

• I use it. I am a god with it.

Its really useful at getting around shields if your close enough. And mostly its a 2 hit kill.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Hm, I don’t think the flail’s strength originates from it stats. Its main advantage is that it is extremely difficult to read. You see the handle, you see the chain and the spiked ball at its end, but you don’t see them in one straight line most of the time which gives you a very little idea about its actual reach. This is definitely a unique advantage.

It’s not difficult to read at all…

The flail needs a major speed increase.

• Well, I’m a vanguard… if they get as close as to reach me with flail, I am most likely dead anyway. But all other weapons are more or less straight and give you pretty good idea about their reach even if they are out of action. Not true for flail.

• The people who say the flail is a strong weapon probably have something to that argument. I find it tricky to use effectively, but Hexen in particular was right about all of its strengths, although I’ve yet to find a way to make it suitably ambiguous yet myself.

At the end of the day, the thing that really sinks the flail is the buckler. It’s so unthinkably, unreasonably shit that there’s nothing to be done about it. It’s impossible to separate the flail’s strength as a weapon from the buckler’s total and utter uselessness as a defensive tool, and that’s a real problem. Without addressing how hopeless that is, nobody will ever know where the flail stands.

• Anyone else? Is there a page that the devs post on upcoming updates?

• Firstly check out the thread I made in the Ideas and Suggestions sub forum about the flail which has some similar ideas to ones presented here; vote for this or put your own idea up in this forum. http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12464

Secondly, I was using the flail last night and you can get it to work but I think that’s only because it’s so useless people hardly use it and therefore people don’t know its animations yet. You would almost always be better off just using a mace or something. It doesn’t do enough damage (it should seriously two shot a MaA with torso slashes IMO) and the worst is the combo and recovery times are so slow, way slower than other one handed weapons and does less damage :-? .