Most popular competitive weapons?

• Does anyone have a clue as to what might be the most commonly used competitive weapons for each class? Has someone done a ranking of the “most competitive” weapons?

I’d imagine for the knight they would be the longsword and the SoW, but I’d like to know about the other classes as well. Vanguards probably use the claymore and halberd a lot, but thats just a guess.

• For europe: SoW,Longsword,Grandmace,Warhammer,Greatsword,Spear,Brandistock,Billhook,Bardiche,Falchion,
    Norse sword, Broadsword, Dane axe, Morningstar, Hatchet, Flanged Mace, Cudgel, Shortsword, Warbow, Heavy crossbow, Maul(somewhat), Throwing axe and firepot

Not really a ranking tough. Ofcourse some are used in different setups, combined with a kiteshield or something

• Any weapon that’s not a Shortbow, Longbow, Light Crossbow, Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Shortspear, Javelin, Heavy Javelin, Sling, Sabre, Broad Dagger, Thrusting Dagger, Hunting Knife, Norse Sword, War Axe, Quarterstaff, Holy Water Sprinkler, Throwing Knives, Pitchfork, Double Axe or Flail is what you’ll find in comp games. Every other weapon tends to appear at some point, with the Warbow being the clear winner for Archers; Dane Axe, Falchion and Morning Star being popular for MAA: Spear, Brandistock, Zweihander, Bardiche and Greatsword being popular for Vanguards; Sword of War, Longsword, Grand Mace, Bearded Axe, Poleaxe and Falchion/Wahammer shield being the most popular for Knights.

• @Martin:

Any weapon that’s not a Shortbow, Longbow, Light Crossbow, Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Shortspear, Javelin, Heavy Javelin, Sling, Sabre, Broad Dagger, Thrusting Dagger, Hunting Knife, Norse Sword, War Axe, Quarterstaff, Holy Water Sprinkler, Throwing Knives, Pitchfork, Double Axe or Flail is what you’ll find in comp games. Every other weapon tends to appear at some point, with the Warbow being the clear winner for Archers; Dane Axe, Falchion and Morning Star being popular for MAA: Spear, Brandistock, Zweihander, Bardiche and Greatsword being popular for Vanguards; Sword of War, Longsword, Grand Mace, Bearded Axe, Poleaxe and Falchion/Wahammer shield being the most popular for Knights.

Those sound pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking except for the greatsword and the zweihänder. It would have made sense to me that the claymore would have been the clear favorite for vanguard swords.

Also the falchion is a bit surprising. I always though that almost everyone preferred the broadsword and norse sword.

• The Falchion slash reliably 3 hit kills a Knight, whereas the other two Swords require a fourth strike in all but rare circumstances.

• Most popular competitive weapons

Archer
    Warbow, Heavy Crossbow
    Cudgel, Shortsword

Knight
    Sword of war, bearded axe,
    Falchion or Norse sword with shield.

Vanguard
    Claymore, Halberd/billihook,
    Dane Axe

Man At Arms
    Falchion, Norse sword, Dane Axe

• @Martin:

The Falchion slash reliably 3 hit kills a Knight, whereas the other two Swords require a fourth strike in all but rare circumstances.

Ah I see. I’ve personally only used my secondary for MAA and archers, so I haven’t taken into account the higher armor/health opponents at all.

@JCash:

Most popular competitive weapons

Archer
    Warbow, Heavy Crossbow
    Cudgel, Shortsword

Knight
    Sword of war, bearded axe,
    Falchion or Norse sword with shield.

Vanguard
    Claymore, Halberd/billihook,
    Dane Axe

Man At Arms
    Falchion, Norse sword, Dane Axe

Bearded axe, seriously? That one really surprises me, I had always thought that everyone essentially held it to be a one trick pony that was not as good as the poleaxe. I personally find it really difficult to play with a weapon that has a terrible stab, but thats just me:P

• @Goatamon:

Bearded axe, seriously? That one really surprises me, I had always thought that everyone essentially held it to be a one trick pony that was not as good as the poleaxe. I personally find it really difficult to play with a weapon that has a terrible stab, but thats just me:P

Bearded axe is extremely strong but its an exploit weapon so no respectable competitive player will use it

• @CRUSHED:

@Goatamon:

Bearded axe is extremely strong but its an exploit weapon so no respectable competitive player will use it

How is it an exploit weapon?

• That is actually a remarkable list of viable weapons. It would be nice to see the lighter ranged weapons find some use.

• How is it an exploit weapon?

Combo feint allows you to expend 15 stamina in order to chain 2 attacks faster than the game would normally allow through combos (combos are designed to be fastest method of chaining any two attacks from the same weapon together, any case where this isn’t true is a flaw). This is because the windup was significantly decreased, but the combo speed was not bought down with it. The combo speed should definitely not be bought down though (that’s essentially turning the current combo feint into a legitimate and viable tactic which overshadows many of the other Knight’s weapons), the windup speed should go back up.

• @Martin:

Combo feint allows you to expend 15 stamina in order to chain 2 attacks faster than the game would normally allow through combos (combos are designed to be fastest method of chaining any two attacks from the same weapon together, any case where this isn’t true is a flaw). This is because the windup was significantly decreased, but the combo speed was not bought down with it. The combo speed should definitely not be bought down though (that’s essentially turning the current combo feint into a legitimate and viable tactic which overshadows many of the other Knight’s weapons), the windup speed should go back up.

Ah I see.

• @Martin:

I totally agree Martin, combo feint is not a legit mechanic. It’s a stupid exploit.

• I’m surprised to think the halberd is used in competitive contexts, it has a great utility in team and ffa type games but in one on one scenarios the limited speed and recovery usually allows another player to stay in close. I would also be curious to know if the bardiche is feasible in competitive matches and whether it is used with any frequency; given the recen faults levelled at this weapon (not all of which I casually agree with - a little verification would be of use at this stage), I wonder if it is a natural choice for competitive games.

• There are so many popular weapons in this world,and their CSA scores as a competitive weapon to level the playing field. … More of the smaller companies and O/O’s will need to establish their own .

• I’m surprised to think the halberd is used in competitive contexts

The Halberd was the most popular Vanguard weapon pre-CU1, it’s pretty rare now though. I think I’ve seen one person use it since the major nerf.

I would also be curious to know if the bardiche is feasible in competitive matches

The Bardiche is one of the best Vanguard weapons in competitive play currently due to its ability to 2 hit Knights with extremely fast lookdown overheads. It has a 0.7 seconds release, but it can pretty much be entirely negated (because of the looking down) so you’re only dealing with the windup, which is faster than a Sword of War.