CU1 Patch 1.5 Now Live - April 29, 2013

• @DokB:

Shields are like… the ultimate spear counter man. :) You can’t always have the best of both worlds. Also the animation on feinting with spear was one of the worst, those attacks were nigh impossible to read. :P

What they need to fix also is dodging while dazed/kicked during shielding.

Shields were not a counter to MY spear… k? i laugh at shield

• I just want to say I first suggested the feint window idea few weeks after the release. And people thought I was stupid. I wish people give credit.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5294

@POOP:

Also, only allow feints for half of the windup position, and not throughout the whole thing. What I mean is: If a weapon has 0.4 windup time, don’t let feint to be used at 0.39 of the windup. Only let it happen upto 0.2 of windup time (for example). This way, you only get hit if you reacted too early.

Tue Nov 06, 2012

I’m glad this is happening though.

• @Daiyuki:

@clayton-bigsby:

idk, my biggest concern now is they may have over done it. The window is okay, i think its a little too much tho. Also, taking multiple feints out is bad… i will no longer be able to duel with a spear as well against MAA and shield users. It’s going to be difficult. Plus this is totally going to change duels. Now MAA probably has the largest advantage with it’s dodge. Dodging is basically like a free feint or free parry/block too, so MAA just got more powerful because everything else got weak.
    […]

I disagree because feint to parry is weakest with one handers now. Those that feinted will also find that you basically have to flash feint with a one-handed weapon because of the short windups, which is only marginally useful, and the low release times make dragging impractical to impossible with one-handers.

idk what your response had to do with what i said… but if you want to change the subject lol… The one hander feints are still useful, mostly when you get up close into facehug range, still totally useful. Especially with the huge penis of a warhammer weapon… that thing is like… so annoying. But yeah, 1H weapons are still plenty feint-able… look at all the MAA weapons? Feint to parry has never been weak, it’s always been super useful and still is. And dragging is impossible when you SUCK lol sike.

Has noone said anything about how amazing the fisting is? Give some credit to the fisting! you can DUCK FISTS NOW!

• @clayton-bigsby:

@Daiyuki:

@clayton-bigsby:

idk, my biggest concern now is they may have over done it. The window is okay, i think its a little too much tho. Also, taking multiple feints out is bad… i will no longer be able to duel with a spear as well against MAA and shield users. It’s going to be difficult. Plus this is totally going to change duels. Now MAA probably has the largest advantage with it’s dodge. Dodging is basically like a free feint or free parry/block too, so MAA just got more powerful because everything else got weak.
    […]

I disagree because feint to parry is weakest with one handers now. Those that feinted will also find that you basically have to flash feint with a one-handed weapon because of the short windups, which is only marginally useful, and the low release times make dragging impractical to impossible with one-handers.

idk what your response had to do with what i said… but if you want to change the subject lol… The one hander feints are still useful, mostly when you get up close into facehug range, still totally useful. Especially with the huge penis of a warhammer weapon… that thing is like… so annoying. But yeah, 1H weapons are still plenty feint-able… look at all the MAA weapons? Feint to parry has never been weak, it’s always been super useful and still is. And dragging is impossible when you SUCK lol sike.

Has noone said anything about how amazing the fisting is? Give some credit to the fisting! you can DUCK FISTS NOW!

You were saying MAA got buffed and everyone else got weaker as a result of the changes. I disagreed and told you why. I’m sorry you didn’t recognize that.

Fixed quotes.

• Bugfixes

-Fixed being unable to sprint with throwing weapons and the sling ready to fire.

Shame you fixed this, it already takes 3x as long to kill someone with a slingshot (and harder to hit) than with a bow / xbow, the good benefit was being able to sprint with the slingshot charged (didn’t make them unable to be caught though as I got caught MANY times)

but it was more helpful to something you only see 1-2 people play on a 5 hour play session lol.

either needs more of a buff or this adding back in, or both :)

• I’m sure this has already been mentioned, but the feint lockout doesn’t apply to combos? That seems like an oversight.

On the topic of feint parry, I can see the issue. If you’re going up against a 1her, their interrupts will often catch you in the later bit of your windup. That said, I hate the solution “you can feint throughout, but you can’t attack if you feint past the lockout.” It doesn’t provide good feedback to the feinter (he feints, but he won’t realize until he tries to attack that he’s stepped over the window) and it doesn’t provide good feedback to the other player (they see a feint - was it over the threshold or not? Desync doesn’t help).

If you were going to implement a way to preserve feint parry in the .15s lockout and give everyone involved good feedback, I would have Chivalry remember that the feint button has been pushed in those .15s, ignore it, and then immediately switch to parry if a parry input occurs after that. Which means feint parry is activated exactly like it has been forever and always, but you also preserve the limitations and feedback on offensive feinting, which should make fights look and perform more smoothly in the cases where people overstep the window.

• The ‘‘advanced combat trainer’’ just smashed my face with a cudgel while failing to demonstrate the feint.

• ATTACKS MADE AFTER FEINTING CANT BE FEINTED??

This is my reaction:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

• -You can no longer follow up with a combo if you’re struck while in release.
    Wow, this one is huge, are you suuure??? I sort of like it, Hated when the knights kept hitting me with combos after I hit them, but this is game-changing of course!

-Fists now use normal weapon tracers and deal appropriate hitbox damage, making them more precise to hit with and less forgiving - you can now duck and sidestep punches properly. Let the tavern brawls truly begin!
    What the… I wanted to see fist nerfed, let the fist spammers win…

-Further improvements to block detection, eliminating some more edge cases of attacks going through parry boxes when a player’s block was properly aimed.
    This is always good :) … looking forward to test it

-Shield toggle is now consistent between all weapons - either pressing 3 or the number of the weapon (I.E. 1 for primaries 2 for secondaries) will toggle the shield, where previously the behavior varied with some weapons.
    hm… what does this mean? the two handed knight greatsword are still one-handeable, right??

My notes: Any news on the looking-at-the-feet bardiche’s glitch attack?? And is the one-handed hammer going to be nerfed once and for all? its fast and overwhelming to any other weapon…

Bugfixes
    -Fixed players who join spectator still being displayed as being on the team they were previously on.
    -Fixed an issue causing players to spawn with the wrong loadout when switching from a team, to spectator, and then to the opposing team.
    Finally!!! I think something similar happened when the autobalance came into action

My notes: Any news on the health-decreasing while regenerating bug??? That was introduced in patch 1. Any news on the one attack - two hits bug?? Couldn’t reproduce it myself though…

Experimental changes Too big to give an opinion!

Keep it coming, hopefully for good :D

• Are the Kickstarter helms fixed? There’s lots of other pressing stuff, I know, but they were broken alongside the Vet helms and since a few of us paid big bucks for those it’d be nice if they were looked at (I can’t download to tell for a little while).

• @Saraski:

Bugfixes

-Fixed being unable to sprint with throwing weapons and the sling ready to fire.

Shame you fixed this, it already takes 3x as long to kill someone with a slingshot (and harder to hit) than with a bow / xbow, the good benefit was being able to sprint with the slingshot charged (didn’t make them unable to be caught though as I got caught MANY times)

but it was more helpful to something you only see 1-2 people play on a 5 hour play session lol.

You do know that said fixed being unable and not being able, right? As in, sprinting with slings and throwing weapons should be more consistently possible, and wasn’t taken away.

Sprinting with aimed/nocked crossbows/bows however, was removed. On that note, I would actually like to see that feature return, but only for the shortbow and light crossbow.

The crossbow should stay as inaccurate as it previously was while doing this (due to it’s power), possibly with decreased maximum speed while aiming (it was possible to get up to a pretty good speed before, but maybe 'twas a good thing?), and it should be possible to start aiming while you’re already sprinting.

Maybe the bow should be slightly more accurate while sprinting than it was before (I know that doesn’t make any sense; but this is balance discussion, not realism discussion) to encourage it to actually be fired at medium-short range while moving. Before, the most bow users would usually use a sprinting nock for was either to run away while nocking, turn around, then fire (which was unbalanced for other bows (especially the warbow (seriously, fuck people who did that)) but might be a good feature for the shortbow); or to sprint into a position, where they then stop sprinting (so that they could, y’know, actually hit someone). Also, it should be possible to start nocking the bow while sprinting with this temporarily reducing speed (don’t want to accidentally drop your arrow, now!).

Also, on a note related to bows but not to sprinting with them, do you think you should make it so that you can’t jump with a bow nocked? I for one think it’s frustrating and silly, especially since it’s pretty much only used in archer VS. archer fights.

• -Shield toggle is now consistent between all weapons - either pressing 3 or the number of the weapon (I.E. 1 for primaries 2 for secondaries) will toggle the shield, where previously the behavior varied with some weapons.
    hm… what does this mean? the two handed knight greatsword are still one-handeable, right??

I just noticed that no, you can’t one-hand the bastard swords without shield any more. That kind of pisses me off, to be honest. It certainly wasn’t a balance issue - it was fairly weak. Was it removed on the kneejerk basis that it was unintended, and unintended things are bad because reasons, or did attempts to make the control layout more consistent just happen to remove it? If so, can I get an official statement on whether that’s staying axed or if that’s something that’ll come back?

• @DSMatticus:

-Shield toggle is now consistent between all weapons - either pressing 3 or the number of the weapon (I.E. 1 for primaries 2 for secondaries) will toggle the shield, where previously the behavior varied with some weapons.

I just noticed that no, you can’t one-hand the bastard swords without shield any more. That kind of pisses me off, to be honest. It certainly wasn’t a balance issue - it was fairly weak. Was it removed on the kneejerk basis that it was unintended, and unintended things are bad because reasons, or did attempts to make the control layout more consistent just happen to remove it? If so, can I get an official statement on whether that’s staying axed or if that’s something that’ll come back?

I believe this is because there was a bug with 1h bastard sword damage. It was also a realism issue to have a two handed sword become smaller and faster when wielded in one hand without a shield. I mean why use a two handed sword with one hand and no shield in real life?

• @Eek!:

Are the Kickstarter helms fixed? There’s lots of other pressing stuff, I know, but they were broken alongside the Vet helms and since a few of us paid big bucks for those it’d be nice if they were looked at (I can’t download to tell for a little while).

I’m with you, seems that nobody gives an actual f*ck about helmets working or not.

• @XaleUdo:

I believe this is because there was a bug with 1h bastard sword damage.

two handed sword become smaller and faster when wielded in one hand without a shield.

I’ve heard the damage one before, but I’ve tested it with show damage on and they are the proper 1hed damages. If for some reason you don’t trust show damage, it’s pretty obvious that the htk’s are not the same as with 2hers when you use it. As for getting smaller and faster, the same thing happens when you have a shield out, so that’s a strange complaint. The longsword timings and its model are identical regardless of whether shield is in your hand or not - the only difference between sword&board and 1hing is the anim set (and, obviously, that you don’t have a shield and can parry instead).

• @XaleUdo:

@DSMatticus:

I believe this is because there was a bug with 1h bastard sword damage. It was also a realism issue to have a two handed sword become smaller and faster when wielded in one hand without a shield. I mean why use a two handed sword with one hand and no shield in real life?

Because it’s actually a hand-and-a-half sword? Which is why it’s wieldable with a shield to begin with. In fact, not using it with a shield so you can switch between one and two hands at will is something that can be useful both in-game and, I imagine, in real life. Attack angles and all that.

I actually have a better idea for hand-and-a-half swords: Pressing 1 switches it to one hand instead of with a shield, and then you can press 3 to use the shield. Or just press 3 right out of the gate to switch to one hand and shield. And pressing 3 while holding it with a shield should unequip the shield while leaving it one-handed like other one-handed weapons (not that the other one-handed weapons can be wielded with two hands; but still). Slightly confusing? Maybe. For like, three minutes. Worst problem that might arise is muscle memory.

• I see no mention of a change to the Dane Axe, yet I see it does (significantly) less damage? Am I wrong or crazy? Logged on for the first time in a week and my axe no longer 2-shots VG’s.

-A concerned MAA.

• You were saying MAA got buffed and everyone else got weaker as a result of the changes. I disagreed and told you why. I’m sorry you didn’t recognize that.

Fixed quotes.

I see now, but my confusion was because you made no mention of maa, just one handers. One handers are not specific to MAA class… just btw.

• @Saraski:

Bugfixes

I think you read that note incorrectly. Previously you could only sprint before you started winding up a sling shot or a javelin throw - if you were already winding your sling you couldn’t start sprinting. Now you can sprint with the sling at any time. Sprint was removed from readied bows and crossbows, however.

@JeansenVaars:

Any news on the health-decreasing while regenerating bug??? That was introduced in patch 1.

This bug was a result of another bug which was fixed - namely that tapping sprint would start your health regeneration instantly rather than waiting for the delay.

@Eek!:

Are the Kickstarter helms fixed? There’s lots of other pressing stuff, I know, but they were broken alongside the Vet helms and since a few of us paid big bucks for those it’d be nice if they were looked at (I can’t download to tell for a little while).

I was actually not aware the kickstarter helmets weren’t working, since so few people have them and they were working for me. I’ll look into it.

@DSMatticus:

It wasn’t kneejerk, there were actually attempts to fix it in the past. We weren’t even trying to fix it this time but the change to shield toggling did just that. Personally I always thought it should be a feature, but Tibberius disagrees :(

• @SlyGoat:

t wasn’t kneejerk, there were actually attempts to fix it in the past. We weren’t even trying to fix it this time but the change to shield toggling did just that. Personally I always thought it should be a feature, but Tibberius disagrees

I kinda figured it was just an accidental fix, but it makes me very very sad nonetheless.