Why is this game so infuriating AND awesome?

• What I mean by the title is, when the game is going well, it’s probably the most fun I’ve ever had playing a game. When it starts to go seriously bad though, it’s by far the most enraging. It’s an exercise in mouse-eating frustration. I’ve played CoD, counter strike and TF2, but none of those games manage to be as annoying and as fun as this one. Why do you think this is?

Am I alone in this?

• You are not alone.

I’d say because everything is usually in 1st person, the blows hit harder and you can feel the impact in real life, so when you are killed it actually causes some sort of pain on a subconcious level.

• @Del:

You are not alone.

I’d say because everything is usually in 1st person, the blows hit harder and you can feel the impact in real life, so when you are killed it actually causes some sort of pain on a subconcious level.

That’s what I’ve been thinking. It’s the fact that it’s melee, and you are getting hit in the face. That, and “unfair circumstances” matter more in this game I think. Like even if you just get 2 people attacking you at once, it’s not just twice as hard, it’s about a million times harder, at least if the two attackers have any sense at all. Getting ganged up on is so much more frustrating.

• INTENSE!

• I´m guessing because the operations that control defence and offence arent instantaneous.

In games like cs and others, you wont usually die because the movements of your character were too slow, you die because you were too slow, in medieval warfare, it takes a certain time to put the shield up, to wait for your hit too land, and to wait for your opponents hit to land, so if you are feeling intense, you will become more easily frustrated because the game is simply moving too slow.

Hope you get my conjecture.

• It’s because those three games are First Person Shooters, whilst Chivalry is a First Person Slasher.

• Because it’s skill-based and competitive. They all feel like that.

• @danezcou3:

I´m guessing because the operations that control defence and offence arent instantaneous.

In games like cs and others, you wont usually die because the movements of your character were too slow, you die because you were too slow, in medieval warfare, it takes a certain time to put the shield up, to wait for your hit too land, and to wait for your opponents hit to land, so if you are feeling intense, you will become more easily frustrated because the game is simply moving too slow.

Yes indeed, the core problem lies with the fact that the game is too buggy and unbalanced to be considered fair for every player, that means that people are tempted to blame their loss on bugs and unbalanced mechanics/weapons instead of their own ineptitude (including myself, a problem I have been working on.) Now, the thing is that around 50% (maybe more) of the time, they’re right, and they should NOT have died! But with all these people having ACTUAL problems that cause them to die, other players (can be new or old) will start to actually TRY to look for reasons to blame for their death, which isn’t to be too frowned upon, because chivalry in it’s current state is riddled with issues, and as such it has pretty much always been kinda’ weird, sometimes attack animations look weird, parries are slow, I don’t think I need to give more examples, you get it.

So, because of this subconcious paranoia the players never actually know if their death was their own fault or the games, but of course it hurts to blame yourself and much easier to blame the game. Now, in competitive or otherwise high-skilled play, the players don’t usually blame the game for their death, some do, but all of them do it at least a few times during a play session, now, this isn’t them trying to find excuses, most of the time something actually WAS strange on their end, and this brings me to another point. People see different things on their screen, now, I don’t exactly know why or how, but it’s extremely difficult to gauge what your opponent is looking at, doing, or anything really, and in the heat of battle it’s easy to mistake certain mechanics for glitches, bugs, or lag. This is the core issue, and it lies with the games fault for having the problems in the first place.

Because different people see different shit, sometimes one person thinks a glitch happened, and the other just merely outplayed their opponent. It’s a sad thing, really, but there is a solution (and no i’m not going to yell “FIX EVERYTHING.”) Simply, stop. Stop trying hard in the game, take a chill pill and just play the game casually, and hell you can even play it hardcore, just in a casual style. Relax, put on some nice relaxing music and play, disable chat and just accept your losses and analyze what you could’ve done better. I have found out recently this does WONDERS for your chivalry career, you simply won’t get angry, and will not be frustrated at the game or the other players. I know, it feels good to kill people in this game, and getting killed carries significant weight and can even be painful, but chivalry is first and foremost a GAME meant to be enjoyed endlessly, and it is something that should NEVER cause you pain or grief, so make sure if you are getting frustrated with the game, remember this, on the most base level it’s your attitude that is making you angry at the game/players, not the game.

Well that was fairly in-depth for what I usually write, hope it helps anyone who read it.

• @Del:

[…]
    Because different people see different shit, sometimes one person thinks a glitch happened, and the other just merely outplayed their opponent. It’s a sad thing, really, but there is a solution (and no i’m not going to yell “FIX EVERYTHING.”) Simply, stop. Stop trying hard in the game, take a chill pill and just play the game casually, and hell you can even play it hardcore, just in a casual style. Relax, put on some nice relaxing music and play, disable chat and just accept your losses and analyze what you could’ve done better. I have found out recently this does WONDERS for your chivalry career, you simply won’t get angry, and will not be frustrated at the game or the other players. […]

This applies everywhere really, but it’s true and something I learned from playing the NHL series competitively on Xbox (as odd as that may sound to people). It’s similar to Chiv in that it’s skill-based, competitive and a little buggy, with teams of 5-6 going at it ideally, but can go all the way down to 1v1.

After a while, you just kind of sit back, accept that some things are bullshit, some things are your mistake and some things are the other guy(s) playing well. So you look at every situation and treat it the same, you just ask “Was there a way to avoid that?” and 99% of the time there is, no matter where of the 3 sources the issue stemmed from. That kind of attitude will reduce your frustration a lot, but of course whenever you’re focusing 100% and something goes wrong, it’s frustrating. You’re investing a lot of effort and focus and then suddenly you’re dead. Nerdrage is fine sometimes, you just gotta let it out and try not to go on tilt.

• @danezcou3:

I´m guessing because the operations that control defence and offence arent instantaneous.

Yeah but that is less of a problem if you play MAA :)

• For me the frustration comes from knowing exactly what I did wrong. Mind, half of the time the answer is “I got too close to my LMB spamming teammate.” :x

As others said, the first-person melee combat is what makes it so awesome. That grand maul is coming straight for my head! I move so much in my chair trying to dodge these hits that I actually have to lock the wheels before I play. Doesn’t matter, I still scratch the hell out of my floor. :D

• @BillDoor:

For me the frustration comes from knowing exactly what I did wrong. Mind, half of the time the answer is “I got too close to my LMB spamming teammate.” :x

As others said, the first-person melee combat is what makes it so awesome. That grand maul is coming straight for my head! I move so much in my chair trying to dodge these hits that I actually have to lock the wheels before I play. Doesn’t matter, I still scratch the hell out of my floor. :D

Hahahaha, that’s awesome. Reminds me of watching my siblings play a racing game when they lean over and tilt the controller like a wheel as they turn as if that helps them =p

• I find it very rare to die because of bugs or game problems (when playing on a server and players with less than 100 ping). Most of the time it clearly is errors on my part or I was simply bested by my oponent or overwhelmed.

• @Daiyuki:

@Del:

[…]
    Because different people see different shit, sometimes one person thinks a glitch happened, and the other just merely outplayed their opponent. It’s a sad thing, really, but there is a solution (and no i’m not going to yell “FIX EVERYTHING.”) Simply, stop. Stop trying hard in the game, take a chill pill and just play the game casually, and hell you can even play it hardcore, just in a casual style. Relax, put on some nice relaxing music and play, disable chat and just accept your losses and analyze what you could’ve done better. I have found out recently this does WONDERS for your chivalry career, you simply won’t get angry, and will not be frustrated at the game or the other players. […]

This applies everywhere really, but it’s true and something I learned from playing the NHL series competitively on Xbox (as odd as that may sound to people). It’s similar to Chiv in that it’s skill-based, competitive and a little buggy, with teams of 5-6 going at it ideally, but can go all the way down to 1v1.

After a while, you just kind of sit back, accept that some things are bullshit, some things are your mistake and some things are the other guy(s) playing well. So you look at every situation and treat it the same, you just ask “Was there a way to avoid that?” and 99% of the time there is, no matter where of the 3 sources the issue stemmed from. That kind of attitude will reduce your frustration a lot, but of course whenever you’re focusing 100% and something goes wrong, it’s frustrating. You’re investing a lot of effort and focus and then suddenly you’re dead. Nerdrage is fine sometimes, you just gotta let it out and try not to go on tilt.

If “letting it out” implies me making holes in my walls and biting my hand until i bleeds, then i wouldnt agree with you.

• @Goatamon:

When it starts to go seriously bad though, it’s by far the most enraging. It’s an exercise in mouse-eating frustration.

I take it you don’t play DotA :P

• @SlyGoat:

@Goatamon:

When it starts to go seriously bad though, it’s by far the most enraging. It’s an exercise in mouse-eating frustration.

I take it you don’t play DotA :P

No, I dot not:D

And I don’t know, its weird. I’m not a terribly competitive person, and I tend not to get pissed off at games. Again, other competitive games don’t seem to get up my nose anywhere near as badly as this one, but neither are they as much fun. I really do think it’s mostly the gangbang thing. Nothing is more annoying than constantly getting mashed into a fine paste by 6 vanguards without getting a single kill as compensation. I don’t think of myself as a nerdrager, but somehow in this game, the frustration gets to me more. I’m still gonna keep playing though. A lot.

Being killed by a superior player is not all that frustrating to me. The annoying thing is dying in under really shitty circumstances. Stuff like:

-An archer interrupting you final blow in a long duel, and then getting smashed by your duel opponent.

• Getting gangbanged

• Getting backstabbed (welcome to chivalry, eh?)

• Dying due to someone accidentally catching you with one of those spinning vanguard LMB attacks.

• @BillDoor:

For me the frustration comes from knowing exactly what I did wrong. Mind, half of the time the answer is “I got too close to my LMB spamming teammate.” :x

Yeah I do that from time to time, as my wife keeps telling me I do this.

Must get it from my grandfather…. he still has an old NES with Super Mario Bros which he still plays from time to time. Whenever I see him on level 8-2 where that “Jump onto the small bit, then jump over the long gap” part, he always swings his arms with the controller to the right and up in the air as if it will help Mario jump farther:

[image:1i3zfvu2]http://ian-albert.com/games/super_mario_bros_maps/mario-8-2.gif[/image:1i3zfvu2]

…. I’m pretty sure I did that a few times when I was younger too 8-)

Guess I still have that trait going on in Chivalry.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Whenever I see him on level 8-2 where that “Jump onto the small bit, then jump over the long gap” part, he always swings his arms with the controller to the right and up in the air as if it will help Mario jump farther

It does, son. It truly does.

• I guess another annoying thing is when you are just having a plain ol’ bad day in the game. Which reminds me: Has something changed about timing in the previous patch? I swear, ever since the patch I can’t seem to combo to save my life. Parry stabs in particular seem to work when they feel like it, whereas previously I hit them every single time. All combos feel weird now. Is it just me?

• @Goatamon:

I guess another annoying thing is when you are just having a plain ol’ bad day in the game. Which reminds me: Has something changed about timing in the previous patch? I swear, ever since the patch I can’t seem to combo to save my life. Parry stabs in particular seem to work when they feel like it, whereas previously I hit them every single time. All combos feel weird now. Is it just me?

There was a combo change, check the patch notes.
    Stabs can start a combo but you can’t combo a double stab. So stab-overhead-slash-oh-slash-oh-slash.
    Stab breaks a combo. So stab-slash-oh stab-oh-oh-slash stab stab stab