Norse Sword Needs a Buff

• It’s pretty useless as it is at the moment. I looked up the stats, It’s just not good. The stab is almost exactly the same as the broad sword, and it doesn’t matter if the swings are a little faster because they do so little damage. I understand that before it was overpowered, but right now I think it needs to be better somehow. Just 5 more stab damage or something like that.

• no thank you

• @wyrda78:

It’s pretty useless as it is at the moment. I looked up the stats, It’s just not good. The stab is almost exactly the same as the broad sword, and it doesn’t matter if the swings are a little faster because they do so little damage. I understand that before it was overpowered, but right now I think it needs to be better somehow. Just 5 more stab damage or something like that.

I wouldn’t care too much as I don’t use the weapon myself(broadsword all day), but the speed advantage is huge for getting fast kills on archers and MAA’s. Not all weapons are made to kill all classes just as fast as another, and norse is not as effective against vg’s and knights, but the speed over broadsword is huge against anything but those 2 at full health, however against a wounded target, the faster the swing, the better. Also, if you look at the hits to kill on a knight, often times its the same as broadsword, but can hit much faster, causing more flinches and leaving you safer overall.

• I have around 100 hours of play exclusive to playing MAA with norsesword, thrusting dagger and firepot.
    It does NOT need any buff what so ever, I have no trouble against any enemies. Granted it gets frustrating in FFA, as you usually get killed by someone else after you have hit someone 4 or 5 times, but that just goes with the game (That’s what the fire pot is for :D).
    If you need to buff something for MAA, buff the holy water mace, It is just inferior to everything else IMO.

• Norse Sword in no way needs a buff in my opinion. It’s my go to secondary when I roll Knight, and has been getting a lot of playtime when I play MAA as well.

Awesome weapon.

• I play Man at Arms 95% of the time, I have mastered the broadsword, and I know how to use the norse sword. The norse sword in no way needs a buff. It can easily make up for its weakness by getting around blocks very quickly. The look-down-overhead makes it superior in speed over every weapon and the dragging your weapon into you target makes the norse a very good weapon on the Knight and MAA.

• I wish the norse sword stab would get a little buff. The norse sword is meant to be a stabbing weapon, but right now if you plan on stabbing a lot you would go broadsword because its stab is equal or better in every way. Even just .05s of windup speed or something to make it diverse from broad instead of strictly inferior to.

• To speak of the three different variation of one-hander swords, I really like the way they made it to start with. You would have one sword that was hybrid, could both deal decent Thrust and Swing damage, the broadsword of course, then there would be Falchion that had a bit more focus on perfoming higher damage with swing, but have the disadvantage of less damage with thrust. Now to Norse sword, that was suppose to be that sword that was more dedicated for thrusting rather than swinging, slashing and chop. Yet it appears that after it turned out to be too powerful, it got nerfed to become a faster alternative of the broadsword.

I do not see the reason why they couldn’t kept that fine balance between Hybrid, Stab and Swing variations. We might aswell heavily reduce the stab damage on the Knight’s Sword of War to equally balance what they did with the one-handed sword; Norse Sword. That would totally suck and give no absolutely variation, but that’s what they basically did with the Norse sword.

My suggestion would be to alter it back to how it used to be, with some slightly speed nerf, CAUSE that was the main issue with Norse Sword from the very start, its speed, not damage….

• One of the reasons of the evolution of the purposes of these three blades is at first a mistake on the way they have been designed, based on mistake on how they work irl.

Broadsword, very close to gladius, is supposed to be short and large. Perfect weapon for… stabbing, with piercing damage through armor. Very close melee from very large roman legions, for instance.

Broadsword - short range - max damage on stab

Norse sword were very fragile. Their design prevent them from doing stabs (they only would bow, they are not large enough to deal with the pressure of the stab), and they were essentially used to do swing with the cutting edge. Remember also that broadsword and norse sword did not serve the same purposes, on different battlefields of different times. Quick raids and squirmishes from nordic raiders on a little coast castle, for instance. Better at killing unarmoured people (peasants, raids).

Norse sword - medium/long range - max damage slash

Who cares exactly about all this RL bullshit ? Not even me. But it is quite obvious that if you decide to invert the properties of the weapons, you will get something ridiculous on the norse sword. And not so ugly on the broadsword because it is longer ingame than IRL.

All of this to say that exchanging damage values between those two swords could have been an elegant way to retrieve balance, without nerfing one. Which still stay powerful, for the record.