They should make a game like Chivalry an mmo

• Man, i was lying in my bed one night and thought maybe it would be a sick if they were to make a game like Chivalry an open world mmo :/ im just saying it put a lot of ideas in my head about what features would be in the game

• This has been suggested a million times before.

Wouldn’t work. For a start it would certainly not be Torn Banner who made it. For a tiny indie studio who have only just released their first commercial game, attempting a MMO would be suicide.

Also could you REALLY imagine collecting 1500 bear arses, using this style of intricate combat? MMO’s are usually mind numbing with that sort of thing because it would be simply too stressful if they were otherwise. I really can’t imagine having to use this style of combat in EVERY BATTLE, even to kill a simple L1 deer or whatever. It just wouldn’t work well.

• Well, I can imagine it.

Mortal Online pretty much did it, but not really good. Still, it was a start.

I’m following the news on the Elder Scrolls Online every once in a while. They’ll have massive PvP battles with a somehow action based combat. It’ll not be the same as Chivalry but still could be fun.

edit: Why should you even collect bear asses? Why not make it simply a combat only mmo game like PlanetSide, maybe with feudal politics as in M&B Singleplayer. I don’t know why there needs to be NPC hunting in every MMO.

• Why do so many people want an mmo? :(

The concept of Chivalry is fine as it is, besides I don’t think a server could still deliver that fast-paced combat system with 200+ players on a server, I fear it would be all laggy and unresponsive…

• @knister:

Why do so many people want an mmo? :(

I think a lot of MMO players discovered Chivalry.

Problem is people with limited imagination immediately think a WOW clone.

But there are lots of other possibilities.

But yeah TB wouldn’t do it.

• i wish skyrim had this fight engine…

• I think it would be possible and cool to have a sort of metagame with a strategy map and resource pool. This could be handled completely off game of course but having computers do the bookkeeping is more fair and faster.

Like, you have an army with a certain number of peopel of every class and a certain number of weapons of every type. You move people and equipment on a strategy map in turns, different places on the map are different game maps. Holding some parts of the map generates money to buy more weapons or recruit more soldiers. If an army moves into a map that is occupied by an enemy force they fight it out and the winner can loot the weapons from the battlefield afterwards.

This way fights get the meaning and context that good MMO PvP is supposed to give. This would require some custom maps to be really good. Like, one map might be a stronghold that is super easy to defend so peope wouldn’t attack it unless they have very superior numbers and it’s a good place to retreat if you need to wait for reinforcements. Maybe some map favors archers a lot so there’d be an asymetrical battle if an army short on archers go there for some reason. Maybe one team is running out of broadswords and have to start using norse swords instead.

• @knister:

Why do so many people want an mmo? :(

Say there were no technical issues… why wouldn’t you want this?

Imagine Chivalry just as it works now, but instead of a tiny map there is a huge land full of castles and thousands of players with whom you’d have big epic medieval battles.
    After you and your companions have successfully taken a keep, you build up wall defenses and send out troops to know where the enemy armies come from. Then you either battle it out in open field or defend your castle by all means.
    Doesn’t this sound way more immersive than 15 min rounds in Chivalry where you always see the same maps?

• @Siegbert:

Imagine Chivalry just as it works now, but instead of a tiny map there is a huge land full of castles and thousands of players with whom you’d have big epic medieval battles.
    After you and your companions have successfully taken a keep, you build up wall defenses and send out troops to know where the enemy armies come from. Then you either battle it out in open field or defend your castle by all means.

Exactly, it would take minimal effort to have numerous servers tie into one master database which keeps track of the resources, conquests, etc.

You could even keep many of the same maps and just tie them into a large scale map on a website. Agatha as England, Mason as France. Each win would flip a castle on the European map. As you capture castles so you get resources that allow them to unlock weapons. You can only take a castle next to another.

That simple mod would be fun on its own.

But as with any mod its only going to work if server admins load those mods and since the Official Servers are not going to add mods I am not sure how successful any mod will be.

• @Siegbert:

Why not make it simply a combat only mmo game like PlanetSide

How did I never think of this, a medieval planetside would be completely bombastic.

• @King:

@Siegbert:

How did I never think of this, a medieval planetside would be completely bombastic.

I guess the main problem is if you don`t split it up into instances of the planet then the engine will choke and be unable to handle more than 64 people in the same area.

• @King:

@Siegbert:

huge maps with a lot of player? the servers cant handle 32 people at same time… we are talking about 2000 players in the same server and also it will be pretty boring unless you make a new way to get from one place to another since there are no way to get around quick…

• @Yoaw:

huge maps with a lot of player? the servers cant handle 32 people at same time… we are talking about 2000 players in the same server and also it will be pretty boring unless you make a new way to get from one place to another since there are no way to get around quick…

Well we can still dream, yeah?
    Oh! and as for getting around it could be a lo fi medieval with dragons!

• @Yoaw:

i wish skyrim had this fight engine…

After playing chivalry for about 200 hours I went back to play Skyrim for a few minutes. Walked up to a bandit and attacked but he blocked. So I went for another attack trying to swing around his block and hit his back, then I realized: this is chivalry. All I do to break his block is hold lmb.

Now that I think of it, skyrim’s melee combat is really awful, at least in comparison to chivalry. I feel all the attacks are slow and I get locked in place. It’s so weird not having to aim or time blocks, and being really slow, even with a 1-h sword.

• Global Moderator

@King:

@Siegbert:

It would be like a total war game. But every single character was played by a player

• I can see it now, me running after a deer in the woods, that fucking huge ass wavy sword flailing around over my head!

It would be fucking glorious! 8-)

• There are 2 mmos that are like chivalry but MMOs

1. Mortal Online - Even uses the same engine
    2. darkfall - more different than MO is.

Mortal Online is REALLY CLOSE to MMO chivalry

http://www.mortalonline.com/overview

• I wasn’t thinking of an open world game, i was thinking of a pure battle only game, sort of like Last Team Standing except on a much bigger scale with a flat map where the two sides clash together. I think that would be AWESOME!!!
    Christer1966 :P 8-)

• @christer1966:

I wasn’t thinking of an open world game, i was thinking of a pure battle only game, sort of like Last Team Standing except on a much bigger scale with a flat map where the two sides clash together. I think that would be AWESOME!!!
    Christer1966 :P 8-)

So like the start of a last team standing match but multiplied by 70 or so?

• @JCash:

There are 2 mmos that are like chivalry but MMOs

1. Mortal Online - Even uses the same engine
    2. darkfall - more different than MO is.

Mortal Online is REALLY CLOSE to MMO chivalry

http://www.mortalonline.com/overview

Sadly it doesn’t work so well.

@Yoaw:

We are not talking about the actual Chivalry on a 2000 players server but I fresh mmo game designed around combat with Chivalry style combat mechanics. I’m tired of the technical discussions everytime someone mentions a great game idea… if you want games to stay the way they have been for the last 10 years, fine…

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.