Question about Combo Feint

• Okay so I am aware that if you use an attack, combo it and then feint it, you can bypass recovery and block sooner.

I was wondering if this is something which pretty much everyone did at highish (say rank 30+) levels of play or whether its something which only a few people resort to (I mean disgusting stuff like 1h feinting).

I’m also wondering if it’s an intended mechanic or whether Torn Banner plans to nerf it any time soon. I wouldn’t want to practice with it if it was going to get nerfed.

• It got patched I believe.

And I can no longer do it anymore so the patch worked.

And no it wasn’t intended.

Its was something a few select people did with the bearded axe. Hardly anyone else did. And it was usually only with the bearded axe for some off reason. Even though you could do it with every weapon.

• OP’s post is about combo feint into parry

Lemonater answer is about combo feint

• Yep thanks delta, my question is about combo fenting into parry. I thought I made that pretty clear…

• @Bloodhead:

Yep thanks delta, my question is about combo fenting into parry. I thought I made that pretty clear…

Oh my bad. I stopped at bypass recovery.

• Lemonater47

People are still combo-feint quick attacking post-patch… with the bearded axe. I haven’t seen the double-axe yet - in battle post patch.

• @g0dLyk:

Lemonater47

People are still combo-feint quick attacking post-patch… with the bearded axe. I haven’t seen the double-axe yet - in battle post patch.

That’s because it can’t be done with the double axe?

However, to answer the OP’s question, yes anyone who plays competitively utilizes this. I can’t say everyone over rank 30 does, because that’s certainly not true, but those have learned to put one element and another together or simply heard about how to do it, do it.

When you figure out you can cancel your attack early if the other backs out of range (such as fighting an MAA who dodges backward), it’s a natural extension of the mechanic to just cancel an attack and block immediately if they close in unexpectedly.

• @Daiyuki:

@g0dLyk:

Lemonater47

That’s because it can’t be done with the double axe?

However, to answer the OP’s question, yes anyone who plays competitively utilizes this. I can’t say everyone over rank 30 does, because that’s certainly not true, but those have learned to put one element and another together or simply heard about how to do it, do it.

When you figure out you can cancel your attack early if the other backs out of range (such as fighting an MAA who dodges backward), it’s a natural extension of the mechanic to just cancel an attack and block immediately if they close in unexpectedly.

This is a perfect answer, and yes, once you get the grip to it, you incorporate naturally to your combat, you will find yourself often cancel attacks instead of missing a combo attack to the air (which consumes about the same stamina, but canceling the attack gives you mobility faster), and against MAAs that dodge backwards works great to cancel when you see them dodge away, keep running straight to them and attack again. They will either get hit, parry your attack, or dodge again, so, they will take damage, or they will lose a ton of stamina, once they are tired, you can kill them.

• Thanks for the responses, are we to assume then that it’s an intended mechanic? I haven’t heard of any indication that they are going to nerf it any time soon, but it seems like a strangely complex mechanic if it was intentional.

• @Bloodhead:

Thanks for the responses, are we to assume then that it’s an intended mechanic? I haven’t heard of any indication that they are going to nerf it any time soon, but it seems like a strangely complex mechanic if it was intentional.

Well it’s already nerfed on the beta because of the feint changes themselves, but hopefully they take some suggestions to heart and make the defensive aspect (feint to parry) just as viable as it is now while toning down offensive use of feints.

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12343

• @Bloodhead:

Thanks for the responses, are we to assume then that it’s an intended mechanic? I haven’t heard of any indication that they are going to nerf it any time soon, but it seems like a strangely complex mechanic if it was intentional.

I don’t know if it is intended or not (I don’t think it is) but right now removing combo-feint-parry would be a HUGE buff for high skill MaA and a nerf to high skill Vg and Knights. It is actually quite well balanced (by accident I think ;) ) because it takes a huge amount of stamina to use. Removing it would require much rebalancing (= changing the recovery times of ALL weapons).

• That’s an interesting balance argument. Although - the counter point is that combat has changed and blocking attacks is soooo 2012. Just keep on the move and run around all over the place dodging instead. The problem of stamina loss is subjugated by always run and never needing to block.

• @Daiyuki:

@Bloodhead:

Well it’s already nerfed on the beta because of the feint changes themselves, but hopefully they take some suggestions to heart and make the defensive aspect (feint to parry) just as viable as it is now while toning down offensive use of feints.

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12343

You can parry during the feint anim, so this application of feint to parry is absolutely unchanged. Parrying out of feint is instant, and feinting out of a combo is similarly instant, so combofeintparry is still instant. The ways in which feintparry is nerfed:

1. You can’t feint at the veeery end of your windup, which means if a 1her with a faster windup starts his attack shortly after your’s, you will see it and not be able to respond because by the time you notice it you’ll be in the window.

2. If you feint offensively, you won’t be able to defensively feint your second attack - which means feinting is a gamble for which you can be punished if you commit without seeing the parry. I rather like it, when I think about it that way.