Range Indication

• The major problem I’m finding at the moment and I knew this was going to be a problem in a close combat game is I severly misjudge the range of the weapons most of the time and waste precious stamina cutting the air. It would be fantastic if your crosshair flashed a different colour when targeted over an enemy that is within range of your equipped weapon. I would also like it if you could allow players to change the size of the crosshair too, i find the dot is a bit too small for my liking.

Excellent game by the way, I’m having a blast, Just would like some depth perception in the game that we enjoy in real life.

• It is actually a very important composing to distinguish the skilled player of the less skilled one. Believe me, it must stay that way, when you will become really good at the game, the range of the weapons will be part of you when playing Chivalry and you will feel good man.
    For example what you ask could be compared in a FPS at having a crosshair that shows exactly where the bullets will go with the recoil on, removing any pleasure to learn to master the recoil of your gun.
    :D

• Yea I also find it difficult to aim my strikes, can you guys please make my strikes automatically aimed?

• I avoided responding to this at first because I knew people would say what I was thinking anyway :P

It’s an interesting idea, but it may just dumb down the game a tad too much.

• @-Slash-:

Yea I also find it difficult to aim my strikes, can you guys please make my strikes automatically aimed?

I’m guessing you are being sarcastic. I’m not talking about auto aim, I’m talking about depth perception which is what you have in real life. Your brain automatically and very accurately calculates short distances and this calculation cant be replicated in a game being displayed on a flat screen, hence why I would like some on screen reference when I’m in range with my chosen weapon.

• @SlyGoat:

I avoided responding to this at first because I knew people would say what I was thinking anyway :P

How would something that you can do very accurately in real life dumb the game down?

• @Bleh!:

@SlyGoat:

I avoided responding to this at first because I knew people would say what I was thinking anyway :P

How would something that you can do very accurately in real life dumb the game down?

Because your eyes don’t glow when an object is 6 feet away from you. You intuit it - and it’s still a rough approximation.

• In real life you could do ton of things that chivalry doesn’t have but thoses things will yeah dumb the game down… Like fainting death, rob weapons, run away of the battefield, disguise in enemy’s appearance, or gameplay’s wise be able to go through someone that is parrying you in the “right direction” etc. But hey it’s a just game, some mechanics must be done to ensure that the game will be challenging or it just gets boring and not fun to play. :)

• I still really dont understand how you guys think it would make the game boring, you still have to get into range and hit your enemy, with an indicator you will know that when you choose to swing you will hit your enemy unless they dodge, block or backpedal. It will just allow the game to be a bit more realistic in my view, when you watch sword fights in real life very few attacks miss because the attacker has misjudged the distance to his opponent its more because his opponent evades. It just looks really stupid to me when you watch players play this game and they miss time and time again because they misjudge the distance, because judging distance in this game is very decieving. For myself I always remind myself if I think I’m close enough 99% of the time I’m not, so I move in closer, I really dont see how having an indicator is really going to change that. Especially with the short range weapons that the man at arms uses from the first person view it looks like you are way too close almost bumping heads with the other player but in the third person spectator view it looks fine. maybe they should instead look at zooming out the first person view a bit.

• It wouldnt make it boring.

But it’s one of these things that separates men from boys, I mean good players from average/decent ones.

A good player will rarely swing out of his range because he knows where his range is.

• Developer

Finding the range of your weapon is a process, it is very difficult at first. But it is meant to be, this is what allows good players to excel over weaker players, we don’t want to show everyone exactly when to swing as that takes out too much of the skill differential. Learn your weapon and become a master.

• Another way to think of it too is like a swing meter in a golf game. The computer can very easily figure out and put a hash mark on the meter where you need to swing in order to reach the hole, but part of the game is figuring out yourself how far clubs will hit things and where on that meter you need to aim for, and then the mechanics of can you physically click it at the right time. All those things are part of the game.

Trees are your friend. Find one with a nice collision mesh and keep swinging at it from various angles and positions to get a feel for your weapon. The first time I played a game like this was jedi outcast 2, and I recall having a ton of difficulty just hitting something in front of me and getting the range down. It did take me a while, but it will come in time.

It is a key part of the game though as tib said, and those small mistakes where you think you are in range and you miss are important to give people openings to attack.

• @Bleh!:

The major problem I’m finding at the moment and I knew this was going to be a problem in a close combat game is I severly misjudge the range of the weapons most of the time and waste precious stamina cutting the air. It would be fantastic if your crosshair flashed a different colour when targeted over an enemy that is within range of your equipped weapon. I would also like it if you could allow players to change the size of the crosshair too, i find the dot is a bit too small for my liking.

Excellent game by the way, I’m having a blast, Just would like some depth perception in the game that we enjoy in real life.

+1. I don’t think judging your weapons range has anything to do about skills, more about dumb repetition.
    It’s cool if what you propose is implemented.

• @Tibberius:

Finding the range of your weapon is a process, it is very difficult at first. But it is meant to be, this is what allows good players to excel over weaker players, we don’t want to show everyone exactly when to swing as that takes out too much of the skill differential. Learn your weapon and become a master.

Fair enough, I don’t agree with you, but it’s your game and it’s still super fun even with no depth perception, it was just an idea I thought I’d share.

• It’s great that you enjoy the game enough to suggest ways to improve it - suggestions are obviously very welcome or this forum section wouldn’t exist. This particular one just doesn’t quite fit the learning curve of the game though.

• maybe it would be good for training matters or for newbies since there are no real trainings u just get thrown into the action with all other lpayers no matter how good or eperienced they are. i would really like to see somethin that helps u on the start just a little …. maybe not showing the range cause that is little way off … but something to help the new guys.

• @Tibberius:

Agree .