Catapult buff

• Catapults,
    Catapults in Chivalry : Medieval Warfare are one of the least siege weapons used in the game due to the fact that at certain point you find yourself better off taking your weapon and face your enemy in combat or shoot them from afar with ranged weaponry. Back in Age of Chivalry in a clan match, this use to be the tool to whipe out the entire team if one shot was perfectly placed, so there was developed certain tactics where the AoC’s Man-at arms or other light-foot solders were to run to the catapult despite of being behind enemy lines and sabotage their aim by rotating it away from lethal aim, I don’t think that the Catapult should be buffed that much in Chivalry so that a team would be entirely dependant on it, but a slightly buff from its current state would surely be good.

Catapults can only be found in following Team-Objective maps such as; Darkforest and Stoneshill, For Darkforest, It can be of a great use to destroy the agathain defenders fortification. In Stoneshill however, it seems to only be useful for randomly trying to snipe out peasents from its location on the hill.

The Catapult has the ability to one-hit any class if a shot is perfectly made, yet there are very rare chance of actually hitting someone with that large projectile, I really believe that the Catapult should have its Splash radius and Base damage ( or something ) Increased so that it may be used either as an attacking or defending tool on Stoneshill. There should also be implanted a different type of crosshair UI, maybe one like the Grenade Launcher crosshair in the Call of Duty games? A distance crosshair with other words, Also there should be something on the Catapult that will notify you how many clicks you’ve loaded your catapult with. don’t know what but you developers will surely think of something. Also I think that the rotation speed needs a slightly reduction. As for now, a alerted catapult user can easily dodge arrows from distance by abusing the rotation, making the job for an Archer to snipe off the catapult user extremely harder.

Last thing, add arrowcam to the catapults soon please.

Please share your opinions and thoughts.

• I think the catapult on stoneshill already is a very powerful defense option, especially at the beginning of stage two. it can wipe out the whole enemy team in one shot if they all huddle around the cart. I don’t think the dmg radius needs to be increased further. This is not a game of artillery. ;)

• I think that the catapults should have a larger damage radius that falls off dramatically from the center. It should instantly kill in the radius it is now, but it should at least stagger people in a much larger radius.

• Its not really fun to be hit by a catapult, I don`t think a buff is a very good idea in general.

However if they fixed the cam on the catapult that would be buff enough.

At times it can be devastating - stoneshill, battlegrounds when striking near the cart.

Fortunately if you look up they are not too hard to dodge.

• I routinely kill groups of up to five people with the catapult. You’re insane.

• This is just a random thought, but how hard would it be to implement debris that could fly off and hit people on impact? It would be pretty fun to be hit by some debris 10 or so meters away, It would deliver damage like the Sling with pebbles. I dunno just thinking outside the box :/

• @Dick:

I routinely kill groups of up to five people with the catapult. You’re insane.

Seriously.

• Stoneshill catapult is weak. Not because it deals little damage but because you can’t see shit when operating it. There are trees everywhere. Maybe it’s good for defense when the ram is 50 % to the gate but when it reaches the gate it is more like a blind man’s russian roulette with a bazooka.

• All I want is an arrowcam, that would be a good enough buff for me. It also relieves the tedium a bit as you can watch your last shot go as you wind up another.

• I want to be able to feint out of a catapult and parry with it.

:steveface:

• @ReMixx:

I want to be able to feint out of a catapult and parry with it.

:steveface:

Steveface will be a new emoticon in the list someday, right? 8-)

• Don’t stray off now Folks, stay on the current topic in this thread.
    Maybe not the catapults needs a fix damage-wise, but the aiming or mechanism of the catapults needs some changes.

• @wildwulfy:

Catapults can only be found in following Team-Objective maps such as; Darkforest and Stoneshill,

There’s also a catapult on Battlegrounds however it generally does way more harm than good for the attackers.

I agree that if the ammo cam worked properly then this would be a huge buff as you could actually see where you landed and compensate.

One idea I heard on a video by HEXEN was if the catapult shot burning pitch or something so did less damage but left a burning patch like a giant firepot.

• @wildwulfy:

Don’t stray off now Folks, stay on the current topic in this thread.
    Maybe not the catapults needs a fix damage-wise, but the aiming or mechanism of the catapults needs some changes.

My bad, when I clicked this one I thought it was a joke. I’ll be leaving now. :steveface:

• The catapult arrow cam, as you said, is already implemented. It actually works in single player (create a game on stonehill and try it out), the fact that it does not in single player is due to a bug which I believe is a very low priority atm. Perhaps you should bug the devs about it.

On a side note, I think the catapult could use a loading bar which would be much more accurate that the clicks we hear to estimate the distance the projectile is thrown.

• Quote of Dr z0b

! @Dr:
    !
    !
    ! > @wildwulfy:
    ! >
    ! > > Catapults can only be found in following Team-Objective maps such as; Darkforest and Stoneshill,
    ! >
    ! > There’s also a catapult on Battlegrounds however it generally does way more harm than good for the attackers.
    ! >
    ! > I agree that if the ammo cam worked properly then this would be a huge buff as you could actually see where you landed and compensate.
    ! >
    ! > One idea I heard on a video by HEXEN was if the catapult shot burning pitch or something so did less damage but left a burning patch like a giant firepot.
    !
    !

I completely forgot about the Catapult on Battlegrounds, thanks for informing me. Speaking of which, I find the catapult on Battlegrounds rather useless too.

• One idea I heard on a video by HEXEN was if the catapult shot burning pitch or something so did less damage but left a burning patch like a giant firepot.

That would be a great idea to get a catapult projectile that would be more dangerous for the footsoldiers. I still think the regular projectile needs a buff though.

• Catapult on the Battlegrounds seems pretty fine to me. If there is a player that can operate it adequately, he can really rape the Masons’ asses. I agree there should be something about the aiming, maybe some visual clue instead of an auditory one + some better visibility.

• Wasn’t siege weapons lacking arrow can just a bug, because I’m sure they’re fixing it.

• Catapults are already badass in the right hands, however I wanted to ask:
    Could it be that their windup sounds are semi-random?

I thought I had trained myself to count the clicks correctly, then on another night it seemed like where there should be a “click” there was suddenly a “clicklickclick” and so on.

If this is indeed so, could we please remove this? The sound needs to reproduceable / learnable in order to gauge distance precisely.
    One can also count indepently of it, but then you have to try not to focus on the distracting wrong-sound of the clicks.

Also: Is it just me or was it once a lot easier to hit people on the battlements, ballistas and trying to pour tar on the stoneshill push the ram / ramming phase? Now I constantly either hit the wall in front of them or behind them…could just be me sucking.