SlyGoat's Compendium of Suggestions

• After a couple days of the beta I’m already brimming with ideas on how I think the gameplay and controls could be tweaked with the upcoming release in mind to make everything friendlier and smoother for the influx of players Chivalry will be getting - and Torn Banner will likely be wanting to keep - as well as keeping the game as competitive as AoC was; hopefully even moreso in fact. I’m going to try and keep this concise but I know I’ll fail miserably, because I feel the need to explain my thought process on just about everything I suggest.

Controls

Toggleable sprint, zoom, projectile follow and crouch: rather than holding a key to have these active, I propose pressing a key should toggle the effect on until the key is pressed again. This is completely persistent, so even if you stop moving, as soon as you start moving forward again you’ll begin to sprint; after you loose an arrow, you’ll automatically re-zoom when you draw your next arrow; and every projectile will be followed until the button is pressed again.

Right now if you want to shoot an arrow with zoom and follow it as an archer, while still shooting accurately, you have to hold down mouse1 to draw back your bow, hold down ctrl to crouch, hold down alt to zoom, and hold down middle mouse to follow the projectile as it’s being fired, all at the same time. Little ridiculous, don’t you think?

Alternately, an option to change each of these options to be either toggleable or hold-to-use, for players who want to hold shift for sprint but want zoom to be toggled, for example.

Rework VO menu/rebind some default hotkeys: Two issues can be solved with one change here - firstly, the distance of 6 - 0 from WASD makes quick VOs troublesome with the current system, and secondly, man-at-arms’ “double tap to dodge” mechanic has already been pointed out as clunky and suboptimal. I propose the voiceover menu be cut into smaller sections like it was in AoC. You first press Z and then a number key to bring up the submenu with responses grouped together. I can’t help but notice you ran out of room on your current 2 menus and didn’t even include the “All clear” command even though there are recorded voice lines for it, so I figure something like this was planned anyway :P I’d also like to suggest some new voice lines to flesh out the voice over options to possibly help teamwork (and to make things more fair for archers who everyone always says to kill).

Z1 - Orders
    1: Follow Me
    2: Forward
    3: Hold Position
    4: Retreat
    5: Defend Me
    6: Need Reinforcements

Z2 - Alerts
    1: Need Help
    2: Incoming
    3: Behind Us
    4: Got Your Back
    5: All Clear (Kinda new)
    6: I’m Wounded (New)

Z3 - Tactics
    1: Go for Objective
    2: Kill Archers
    3: Kill Men-at-Arms (New)
    4: Kill Vanguards (New)
    5: Kill Knights (New)

Z4 - Acknowledgments
    1: Yes
    2: No
    3: Thank You
    4: You’re Welcome
    5: Sorry

Z5 - Taunts
    1: Taunt
    2: Laugh
    3: Respect
    4: Warcry

Not only is this more convenient for someone without very long fingers wanting to use VOs while fighting, it also frees up two keys near WASD : X and C. Taking the above suggestion of a toggleable zoom into consideration, I propose that X be bound to toggle zoom, C be bound to voice chat, and Alt be bound to dodge (dodges in the direction currently being moved in - also allows diagonal dodges! How awesome is that?).

Rebalancing asymmetrical warfare: Alternative title - “Why do I always get gangbanged?”; I find fighting when you’re outnumbered in Chivalry to be far more difficult than it was in AoC, particularly with weapons that don’t have a large range. I have a few small suggestions for this that add up into one big rebalancing of the difficulties in fighting in skirmishes of anything close to a 1:2 ratio or worse.

First - flinching. Flinching mechanics truly more than anything else in the game seem to have duels in mind, and only duels. Against multiple opponents with quick weapons it can be nearly impossible to get an attack off with, say, the double-axe - not to mention pretty much any vanguard weapon, and many unlockables for the knight. I propose an immunity period after you’re flinched where you cannot be flinched again. Not a long period at all - it should be short enough that it wouldn’t matter in any way in a duel, because flinching mechanics work fine there. Just long enough that you can start an attack after being flinched, so that against more than one enemy you will not be flinched twice in a row, giving you some chance to fight back. Crafty enemies would still be able to interrupt your attack constantly with kicks while their teammate killed you, but it takes more coordination and is more easily avoided due to the proximity required for a kick.

Second - friendly fire. Friendly fire is already far easier to avoid than it was in AoC because of the precision attacks have now, and the ability to feint if you know you’ll hit an ally. There’s no reason at all for friendly fire to be reduced. It should be 100% damage. There’ll always be the option of having reduced friendly fire based on the server, but full friendly fire was always a huge part of the balance and competitive atmosphere of AoC, and it makes fighting against multiple enemies far more tactical because you can position yourself to make their attacks as dangerous for eachother as they are for you. With 50% reduced damage, more often than not they’ll be able to take the trade and regenerate it off later.

Third - swing slowdown. Any devs/alpha testers reading this know that I was hugely in favor of your turn rate being slowed while swinging and defended the concept against those who thought it was a bad change from AoC where you could easily spin in circles while swinging. Well I’m here today to tell you that I still think it’s a good concept, but the execution needs work. Within the first ~90 degrees of a swing, you should be able to redirect it far more smoothly, but any further than that and it should cut off sharply. The only lame things about adjusting your swing in AoC involved drastic readjustments, such as doing a 180 swing to hit someone after running away from them, or turning back and forth erratically to make your attack pattern harder to read. The more I play the more I miss being able to stab someone directly in front of me, and then turn to the side and stab his friend with the same attack. This wouldn’t just help asymmetric fights (but it would help asymmetric fights a lot), I think it would make the game better in general, without reintroducing any of the exploits from AoC. It may also be necessary once the man-at-arms’ dodge mechanic is less clunky, because he’ll be very hard to hit when used properly.

Revamp of combo/feint: Now, this may just be me, but I find the current combo system as well as feinting mechanic to be much less intuitive than it could be. First of all feinting should not require movement of the left hand at all (or right hand for you lefties) - it feels completely detached and out of place. Everything controlling your weapon is tied to the mouse except for feinting.

I never found a solution to this problem until I began to think about the current combo system. A lot of the time after being flinched or parried, or coming out of my own parry, I’ll find myself spamming an attack to try and get it to launch as soon as possible. This often ends up with me comboing when I didn’t mean to. I know it happens to others often as well - I’ve seen it and exploited it in combat to get in hits on frustrated enemies who never meant to throw that second swing.

So then it hit me earlier today: Mouse1 for primary attack, Mouse2 for secondary, scroll forward for tertiary, mouse3 for block. Holding down mouse1/2 or scrolling forward launches an attack. Releasing the mouse button during the windup feints a swing, scrolling backwards feints a stab. Keeping the mouse button held down at the end of the attack initiates a combo - stabs are the only attack that then need to be “queued up”, but since to my knowledge no weapon in the game can combo multiple stabs together this isn’t an issue.

This is obviously a radical change but I think it would end up feeling far more natural to new players, and once veterans adjusted to it they would likely agree with the change. Of course it could always be left as an option to use the old method for those who are used to it.

Gameplay

Combat speed: Speed and footwork in combat feels a little too static between all the classes. I can feel the difference in strafe speeds as a man-at-arms as opposed to a knight, but when it comes to moving forward and getting that hit in there’s practically no difference, especially with constant sprinting. I’d like to propose several things to make combat speeds more varied without reintroducing certain exploits like turning around to gain distance or objective rushing.

First, make combat sprinting consume stamina. Attacking out of sprint or within a second after sprinting drains some stamina - simple as that.

Second, improve non-sprinting forward speed while your cursor is over an enemy - I assume it already is increased, but it’s hard to tell because everyone sprints forward no matter what.This would allow MaA and Vanguard to more effectively control distance while the knight would have to play like a knight rather than a bulkier MaA or Vanguard without dodge/charge - if you want to get in close quickly you’ll have to sprint-attack and expend stamina, otherwise you approach slow and steady.

Third, make the speed gained from aiming at an enemy persist for a second after your cursor leaves the enemy, as long as the enemy stays on your screen. Keeping the enemy directly in the center of your screen at all times to gain that combat speed is often not a viable tactic, but as long as you’re not turning away from them I don’t see any problem with the speed being briefly maintained.

Health regeneration: The current health regeneration mechanic irks me. It encourages you to walk around doing practically nothing for a while between fights, or just flat-out hide if you’re playing Last Man Standing; but at the same time it regenerates very quickly compared to AoC, so inflicting injuries on an enemy and then barely losing the fight can feel like your death was completely in vain - so it can be frustrating on both ends. I propose that after an appropriate delay of ~10 seconds without being attacked, making an attack, dodging, or parrying an attack (but you can sprint all you want), your health will steadily regenerate (slower than it currently does - half the rate or even less) regardless of any action you take, until you are successfully hit again - any kind of hit, meaning you can’t just turtle up with blocks/parries to regenerate in-combat, because the enemy can kick you to stop it. This would make health regeneration less intrusive to your normal combat behavior, because as long as you aren’t hit again you can continue to regenerate and fight - but at the same time, taking hits has a more permanent feel, because your regeneration would be considerably slower, meaning you can’t just hide in a corner for 20 seconds and come out at full health again.

Varied sprint attacks: This mainly applies to still-locked weapons, and I know it would take a lot more animation work, but some point down the line I think it’d be cool to see each weapon of its type get a different sprint attack. Currently all three swords do the huge sweeping slash and all other weapons do the dive -> stab down. My idea is something like:

Greatsword: Current sweep attack

Claymore: A diving stab similar to the spear, but aimed even further downwards; enormous damage as it puts all of your diving weight into the attack, but very precise.

Zweihander: A diving overhead - slower than the Claymore’s dive-stab, but devastating.
    Spear: Current diving stab.

Fork: A quicker diving stab, followed by an upwards thrust once you land on the ground - two individual attacks, able to be redirected more easily than the heavier Spear stab. If the first stab is blocked the second stab doesn’t happen.

Brandistock: Dive, raise the weapon above your head, and then bring it down directly in front of you. Very precise and completely over the top crazy-high damage. Because you just shoved your weapon in the ground, it takes longer to recover if you miss.

Bardiche: A diving upwards slash much like a golf swing - if it scores a killing blow and lops off a head, the head should go flying a great distance, and your character should yell “Fore!”

Billhook: A diving overhead, nothing too spectacular.

Halberd: Weapon is held outwards during the leap forward rather than thrust downwards, causing damage throughout the entire dive.

War Axe: Two handed headsplitter dive.

Hatchet: As current.

Dane Axe: Two handed sweep.

Dagesse: Quick but short stab-dive.

Saber: As current.

Cudgel: Two handed overhead.

• I cannot say I agree with all of it but it’s a nice couple of ideas you got there.
    EDIT:I really like the voice commands idea though.

• I like your thinking here SlyGoat, I would add:

Sprinting should be toggle-able (my pinky def gets tired!), but as soon as you stop sprinting you should need to hit the button again instead of “always-on all the time”.

I agree the feint needs to be controlled by the mouse hand, definitely. I find I forget about using it because of that.
    I’m not sure I follow your proposed changes to the mouse layout (tertiary attack?).

How about this:
    Just make block double as feint! Leave everything else as is.

Think about it, if you’re already partway through a swing and you want to cancel that action (feint) what is more natural that clicking the block with mouse 2?

EDIT: clarifying my crazy thoughts

• Tertiary attack meaning stab.

I’ve seen the idea of block to feint as well and it’s definitely another option.

• Sprinting - I would argue if you are going to toggle it (I agree my pinky is hurting after 2 days now), you need to rethink how it is being used in the game. I know I’m echoing myself from the wotr forums, but again, if you feel that most of the time the character should be moving at sprint speed, why not just make that the default movement speed?

Honestly I think of it as another reason the knight is a good class, you can sprint around forever and keep swinging and make some pretty good diving attacks and get out of dodge really quickly. A VG gets ‘stuck’ when he does his jump attack and can’t escape.

I always push for something like if you run forward and take no actions for a moment you start sprinting. This way the speed you want players to maneuver in combat is your default buttons, and the sprint speed is used for transport and initial attacks. In the case of non VG i’d say that you get one attack at sprint, then it turns off. So just hold forward for like 2 seconds, you start sprinting, push attack and you do the running attack and as soon as you come back from it, you are back to regular movement speed.

It would give MAA an interesting boost too if you adopt that but MAA could dodge with the shift key, and if you hold it down, he would immediately start sprinting. So maa, press, release, = dodge, maa press, hold = sprint (eventual release keeps sprinting, no dodge).

For archery, I agree it is a lot of buttons to use. I’d say though just move zoom over to RMB and toggle follow, maybe break it on any key down.

For crouch, I bet a context sensitive toggle would be neat. If the bow/xbow is out and you crouch while holding down LMB, you stay crouched until you move or hit crouch again. Any other time you bounce back up, which lets you duck swings if needed.

–------
    +1 on VO!!

A lot here I don’t know enough about the game. I think many of the decisions here will really affect how chiv plays and its longevity.

I’d still argue ‘full flinching’ instead of just at the start of a swing. This would help you in a crowd to poke and interrupt people. As it is now, another knight advantage from his health is he can tank hits. So I can start my swing just after another person does (with a 2h slower weapon) while using the axe and still smash him to win. He may hit me but I’m free to relax and aim for his head because his hit getting there first doesn’t matter to me, my health/armor tanks it, and his head pops off. I got a lot of kills like this at high health just saying f it and hit trading.

This would be worse in a crowd because you can’t stun them out of their hit at the last second. The downside to full flinch is that 1h weapons could interrupt a lot. I saw last night with the MAA dagger I could chain stun an axe knight with thrust attacks. Not easy to do and low damage, so not a concern really, but its there. Perhaps a compromise is that most 1h weapons will use the current flinch, and most 2h weapons can fully flinch throughout the swing. Have to try some stuff out like spear might suck if it flinches a lot.

From what I know from m&b, living in a crowd means that you can do 2 things. 1 is maneuver in a way that you can keep only one weapon on you at a time, and 2, being able to take enough actions that you can handle 2 ‘threats’ that come in half a second from one another.

In m&b, the sprint kicks in after a bit and is very tiny, so it still takes a long time for people to get behind you. Also in m&b you can multiblock in a few ways, you can swap block directions very fast, so you can time out a left block/overhead block in rapid succession. You can hold the block forever, so it is easier to block 2 people at once if you turn diagonal with a right block and run between two circling opponents. Finally you can luck chamber your way out, since overhead swings will chamber thrusts and overhead attacks. Still a hard thing to do, but very doable, esp if your weapon has range.

In chiv you can backpedal and keep your distance reasonably well, but attackers have sprint and you don’t so they can get around behind you fast. It has multi blocking of weapons which is really nice, so perhaps surviving in the crowd means actually standing so they both hit you at the same time instead of one at a time. It also has a really nice kick, you get a lot of space when you hit someone with it.

I think also when juggling crowds your weapon range is probably one of the most important things, so it’s going to be pretty hard I think to find a balance for 1h weapons to survive in a 1 vs many situation.

On the plus side, playing around with the MAA and trying to stay defensive with him in a FFA last night, I found that dodge really increases your survivability. I’ve heard people come up behind me via footsteps, blindly dodge away from it, and watch their swings woosh past that would have otherwise decapitated me. It doesn’t always get me in a good counter attack position, but you can live to fight another day.

Maybe the answer though at least for flinching is that the recovery from a flinch is faster, such that 2 weapons coming in .3 sec apart means the first one might hit you, but the second one you could potentially block. I guess the idea being that you want to avoid a cascading failure, you get hit once you are open for the gang bang thing.

I think with the controls I wouldn’t like block on the mouse 3. It is an uncomfortable button to hit, is typically stiffer than others, and depending on the mouse can feel really bad or good. Blocking is pretty important, so I don’t think taking it off a primary mouse button is something I’d do (would rebind it).

I like the idea of sort of adding chambered swings by depressing the button, but I think the inconsistencies to feint a stab hurt it.

For combo swings, I know they upped when the detection was to combo again. I do like it being more friendly than before to combo ( I didn’t like having to spam click towards the end of a swing to get it to register). Maybe they just need to dial back the detection a SLIGHT amount before it picks up the next combo swing.

You can always feint out of it if you hit it by mistake, or sometimes I just swing it into a wall if I’m past the feint point.

I might have less of an issue with this because I’m in 3rd person and I can see the state of the weapon at all times. This is another reason I’m enjoying 3rd person a bit more, I don’t like not knowing what my weapon is doing at all times.

Ok sorry to springboard off your suggestions with a wall of text but they all really got me thinking about various aspects of the game a lot.

• Feinting would work a lot better too if we could choose our swing direction. I know its already been said that they may work on it post release as its a lot of work. Right now I think feinting is easy enough, I just haven’t seen anyone care that I’m feinting. Most people just swing spam which makes feinting a good death strat :)

The voices system, I’d love to see a clickable hud. Press a button and the hud and mouse pop up to quick select the one you want. I think both ways are quick. but the learning curve for a clickable hud would be lower then memorizing number menus.

Turn and swing I completely agree. I hate getting hit by someone whose back is facing me because they start a swing and whip around.

the flinching or stunning I also agree with.

I don’t care for toggleables, I’m fine either way.

Good ideas!

• I agree with the other stuff, except revamping the controls. I really like the current scheme, and as such, the block as feint would be perfect imo, as it’d be more natural. Keep block pressed and you’d not only cancel attack but move to block as well. Controls should be as intuitive and simple as possible.

As such, I really like reapy’s sprint suggestion as well: if sprinting doesn’t consume stamina, it should be the basic mode of movement. Only reason to move slowly is to regen stamina a more. Capslock used for anything? It’s a classical run on-off toggle button, so it might suit the purpose well. Or retain shift key, but work it like this:

• Press shift, then move, and you move slowly, regaining stam more.
    • Move, then press shift, instantly burst into sprint, but take an initial stamina hit .
    • Just move and you’ll start running, then move to sprint after 2 secs.

I also agree that dodge should have separate key, as i’ve always hated double tapping: It’s far from intuitive and quick - which is exactly what dodging needs, since it’s not like you have the whole day to watch where the swing comes from (that, or I’m getting old dammit! :P)

One thing that I’d really like as an option would be a separate mouse sensitivity slider when aiming. I can switch the sensitivity from my mouse, but people shouldn’t need a special mouse to do that (even though it’s common I know, but it’s the principle)…

• I can’t say that my pinky gets tired sprinting, kind of find that funny no offense but then again I’m a music and play a lot of guitar so maybe that’s why?

Anyway I do agree with the feint button should be on the mouse or at least they need to fix where you can unbind mouse4 from block so I can use that as feint.

• I bet that has a lot to do with it, especially guitar, you probably have monster hand strength and callouses. ;)

I guess though in the future though if I keep playing chiv long enough I could go post on guitar forums and be like “I don’t know what everyone is complaining about, but I do play a lot of Chivalry Medieval Warfare, so that might be it!” :P

• I don’t like the idea of gainning speed by keeping your enemy in the center of the screen or targeted. Is that already in? How much speed do you gain?
    I prefer something like using stamina while sprinting or if you’re injured (or something else) to balance this.

I’m also quite fine with the current way the combat buttons and actions work but i own a 9 button mouse. :)

I do believe though that the combat can be more skill-based with a more complex and stamina-hungry system.

• I agree with some of that, but I also have a few counter opinions to Slygoat’s ideas.

Firstly, I agree wholeheartedly with your control ideas. Sticky keys would save my keyboard from a lot of unneeded holding, except sprint, because I would have to keep turning that on and off anyways. I don’t know how the voice commands would work, but it sounds good.

I disagree completely with your opinion on friendly fire. Teamwork should not be penalized, and tricking your opponents into thinning each other is cheap for a skill based game. Making friendly fire greater would just irritate players. People would get really mad because they got killed when all their allies showed up to ‘help’. Tricking your opponents into hitting and weakening each other is fine, but you should not run the risk of accidentally killing your friend with a misaimed strike. It takes the fun out of teamwork when you have to stand back and let your teammates fight because you’ll kill them if you try to help.

I think your suggestion for flinching would make little difference. If your getting hit multiple times, you’re going to die before you can really cause any serious damage anyways. The smarter thing to do when your getting overwhelmed is to run, not fight them all.

I like the swings slowdown, and I agree with you on how you think that should work. I also like your idea of holding attacks to perform combos.

I don’t really know about your speed idea. I think I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t know if that idea will really help.

Edit:
    I noticed another remark about blocking to feint. Isn’t that already in the game? You can feint and go straight into a block can’t you? If you mean replacing the feint key with block (example: click block int the middle of a swing to feint, click while not swinging to block) then I’d be all for that.

• @Blindga:

I agree with some of that, but I also have a few counter opinions to Slygoat’s ideas.

Firstly, I agree wholeheartedly with your control ideas. Sticky keys would save my keyboard from a lot of unneeded holding, except sprint, because I would have to keep turning that on and off anyways. I don’t know how the voice commands would work, but it sounds good.

The voice commands would work by pressing Z to bring up the first menu, 1-5 to bring up the submenu with the command you want to use, and then 1-6 to use it. Maybe I have short fingers, but 6 is about as far as I can comfortably reach without interrupting my movement - and all the fun commands like laugh/taunt/respect are 8-0 ;) (Not to mention it gives more room for other commands while using less keyboard space)

@Blindga:

I disagree completely with your opinion on friendly fire. Teamwork should not be penalized, and tricking your opponents into thinning each other is cheap for a skill based game. Making friendly fire greater would just irritate players. People would get really mad because they got killed when all their allies showed up to ‘help’. Tricking your opponents into hitting and weakening each other is fine, but you should not run the risk of accidentally killing your friend with a misaimed strike. It takes the fun out of teamwork when you have to stand back and let your teammates fight because you’ll kill them if you try to help.

Or you could use overheads and stabs more instead of just slash spamming. Friendly fire strengthens teamwork far more than it weakens it - this was proven time and again in Age of Chivalry, to the point where even casual servers usually had full friendly fire enabled. Without friendly fire everything becomes a clusterfuck of spamming without regards to the consequences; there’s no tactical thought to combat in groups. With reduced friendly fire, spamming clusterfuck fights aren’t encouraged, but they aren’t penalized enough either.

@Blindga:

I think your suggestion for flinching would make little difference. If your getting hit multiple times, you’re going to die before you can really cause any serious damage anyways. The smarter thing to do when your getting overwhelmed is to run, not fight them all.

If you get hit twice by fast weapons you can still likely survive. If you get flinched twice however you’re probably dead. And running isn’t an option; the pursuer is always much faster in Chivalry, as it should be.

@Blindga:

I noticed another remark about blocking to feint. Isn’t that already in the game? You can feint and go straight into a block can’t you? If you mean replacing the feint key with block (example: click block int the middle of a swing to feint, click while not swinging to block) then I’d be all for that.

Block and feint being the same key, yes - or at least the option to make it so. Currently Chivalry doesn’t support binding the same key to multiple functions, which it should IMO. For example I’d like to be able to use mouse2 for secondary attack and zoom; since ranged weapons don’t have a secondary attack and melee weapons don’t have a zoom there wouldn’t be a conflict (unless throwables ever get zoom but I doubt it).

• @SlyGoat:

And running isn’t an option; the pursuer is always much faster in Chivalry, as it should be.

Not like escape, but distance yourself from the crowd, or run to allies for help. I make it work all the time. If you can keep the whole crowd in front of you, you avoid getting hit in the back. After that, you just have to try and be careful with your moves. It’s entirely possible to hold off multiple enemies if you’re careful and lucky. Often though, I’ll want to try to avoid fighting and just keep the enemy on their toes until an ally shows up. But that’s just me.

I can see why you think friendly fire would work, but I don’t think everyone else will think that way. Just because friendly fire is max doesn’t mean people aren’t going to stop going crazy and spamming slash in groups. You’re going to see a whole lot of swearing and cries of “teamkiller” if it’s like that. It may have worked in AoC, but you can’t assume it’s the same here by default.

• @Blindga:

I can see why you think friendly fire would work, but I don’t think everyone else will think that way. Just because friendly fire is max doesn’t mean people aren’t going to stop going crazy and spamming slash in groups. You’re going to see a whole lot of swearing and cries of “teamkiller” if it’s like that. It may have worked in AoC, but you can’t assume it’s the same here by default.

Judging by what I’ve seen so far there’s actually a lot less team wounding in Chivalry, because swings are much more precise and players actually take the time to parry more often - and this is considering that almost everyone playing Chivalry is new to the game while almost everyone that still play(s/ed) AoC recently has been playing it for a long time and knows how to control their swings - and still manage to hit teammates somewhat frequently in group clashes.

Don’t get me wrong; I still believe friendly fire should be a serverside option, people who don’t want it at all can go and experience what the game is like when no attack is worthwhile but horizontal swing; and I want to see an option for mirror friendly fire as well - because it’s punishing for the guy that messed up, not his unfortunate teammate - but I think 100% friendly fire should be the default. It worked in AoC and I don’t feel nearly the same impact in Chivalry.

• I’m not insinuating friendly fire should be turned off, I just don’t think it’s worth adjusting. But that’s just me.

• I was hoping for something along the lines of Tribes V-Coms. When a player can execute 3 different voice commands whilst flying at 300km/h and shooting people mid air, you know the design is good.

Having to take my right hand off the mouse in the middle of a fight to whip out an insult or laugh or compliment my opponent just isn’t working for me.

• Wondering if anyone at all will agree with me about health regeneration now that we’re living in the shrug-off-all-wounds-in-5-seconds Call of Duty age :P

• @SlyGoat:

Wondering if anyone at all will agree with me about health regeneration now that we’re living in the shrug-off-all-wounds-in-5-seconds Call of Duty age :P

I agree.

Just to throw out an idea…

Maybe have it to where severe wounds (less than 25%) regen quickly after combat(maybe 5% per second or so), and anything else above that should regenerate very slowly. (maybe 2-3% every second). If you nearly die in a fight, you should have some kind of disadvantage for a while.

• I don’t think I’ve seen a single player stand back from the action to regenerate health, but I agree that wounding your opponent feels a little useless. Perhaps some movement and vision penalties the more times you regenerate. A limp and some blood to obstruct your screen that you wear like a badge of honour.

• @Strudel:

I don’t think I’ve seen a single player stand back from the action to regenerate health

Do you not play a lot of last man standing?