Messer & Shield

• Was trying out a few different things earlier and my friend used the above in combo and for the life of me, I could not work out how to counter it. I outplayed him a few times with the Vanguard + Claymore (what I usually play) but hot damn… it was near impossible.

The main issue I had was the range it seems to have as a 1 handed weapon. Is this intended? He was slashing at me from basically the reach of my Claymore and well… I won’t even go in to how annoying it is having someone with a 1h and Shield faking multiple times before striking you from CHINA.

Haha, anyway… a semi-rage later… was just curious. Anyone else had this issue? Have you encountered this? It honestly seems a little too strong to me, but I dunno… I consider myself to be fairly good at the game to know if a combination is slightly over the BS meter.

Thoughts? Experiences?

• The claymore is a short greatsword. Try a longer one!

• Well, I did win a few matches with a 1h Mace and the Fail shield. I could also win 50% of the duels mirroring his setup… my frustration was that, it felt very difficult to beat as a Vanguard with a Claymore… so I should switch it up with something like the Zwei? Or Longsword against that combo?

• The messer does quite a lot of damage, but it is slow as hell. Try to kick him when he has his shield up or his attack misses you (Don’t forget, you are faster as a vanguard, so always try to sprint away to get some distance). Also you can try using your secondary faster weapon.

• Just use footwork. Walk towards him to bait him into a swing, walk backwards so it misses you, sprint in and either hit him, or kick him when he throws his shield up in reaction.

• @Oy:

Just use footwork. Walk towards him to bait him into a swing, walk backwards so it misses you, sprint in and either hit him, or kick him when he throws his shield up in reaction.

Yea, I guess I just need more time against it…. the problem was I was doing that however, the range of the messer really threw me off.

• The messer doesn’t have range, but because it’s so slow, he is able to run a greater distance during it’s attack animation, so it actually has a pretty good “effective range”.