Why is 90fps hard cap?

• I’m playing Red Orchestra 2 and it uses the same engine and it goes way over 90. So I don’t think it is the engine issue.

The reason I ask is because I have 144 hz monitor. Please don’t tell me my eyes can only see 60 fps. There is a clear difference between 60 fps and 120 fps.

• yep I can also see the difference between 60 and 120FPS as well.

• The engines default cap is 90 FPS. It can be changed.

And the human eye can see up to 150FPS. So a 144Hz moniter is basically the limit it can go.

• Did you remove the caps in your UDKEngine.ini file?

• human eye can barely see past 30 fps. You can ‘tell’ the difference between 30 and 60 fps to the point where it can affect gameplay, any thing past 60 fps is not noticeable, but instead felt. Regardless, anything past 60 fps doesnt really have any impact on a player’s ability to play.

• @NoVaLombardia:

human eye can barely see past 30 fps. You can ‘tell’ the difference between 30 and 60 fps to the point where it can affect gameplay, any thing past 60 fps is not noticeable, but instead felt. Regardless, anything past 60 fps doesnt really have any impact on a player’s ability to play.

Felt means noticeable.

150 FPS is when the human eye doesn’t detect any difference. Its the speed in which our brain processes images. Compared to other animals its very low. But we sacrifice that for detail.

• @b3h47pte:

Did you remove the caps in your UDKEngine.ini file?

I changed the smoothframerate to false and it doesn’t go higher than 90 fps. Should it go higher than 90 fps?

I changed it to true then changed the cap from 62 to 144. now im getting 144 fps. sooo smooth thanks

• @NoVaLombardia:

, any thing past 60 fps is not noticeable,

I can notice past 60, past 100, past 200 in both eye wise and input responsiveness.

and OP you can change the fps cap in the config to make it go over 90

put smoothframerate to true and set maxsmoothframerate to 130 for ex.

• @lemonater47:

@NoVaLombardia:

human eye can barely see past 30 fps. You can ‘tell’ the difference between 30 and 60 fps to the point where it can affect gameplay, any thing past 60 fps is not noticeable, but instead felt. Regardless, anything past 60 fps doesnt really have any impact on a player’s ability to play.

Felt means noticeable.

150 FPS is when the human eye doesn’t detect any difference. Its the speed in which our brain processes images. Compared to other animals its very low. But we sacrifice that for detail.

Trained fighter jet pilots were tested and could see changes up to 400fps.

• @DDR:

@lemonater47:

@NoVaLombardia:

Felt means noticeable.

Trained fighter jet pilots were tested and could see changes up to 400fps.

150FPS was the average. At that was made 2 years ago. And scientists don’t actually understand fully how it all works. So training could enhance it.

• Actually I’ve just done some interesting research around the place.

The human eye actually does only see at around 20-30FPS. That why movies are recorded in that range. Because they look more realistic. But the human brain can process well over that number up to 400FPS for some people in a normal situation.

The human eye can in times of stress can see up to 60FPS because of adrenaline. Its a survival instinct. That also gives the illusion of time slowing down. Yes that’s a thing. I’ve even in a car accident that pretty much happened in slow motion. Though its nothing like the games.

So the human eye only sees 20-30FPS normally. You can see this easily when you put your hand out and able it all around. All your fingers blur and you can see multiple hands at each end of the swing. But if you record that at say 400FPS then play it at 400FPS on a 400Hz screen you will see basically no blur.

Its really weird. So everybody is right here. I’ve always wondered why people say you can only see 20fps and then you can easily notice the difference on a screen. And things at above 30 FPS on a screen look far too smooth all the time. Because they are too smooth. The world is not in frames but screens are.

• I wonder how that research was done. Does it take into account the difference between consecutively shot images with 1/fps shutter time and computer game generated images ?

Because the images with shutter time include afterimage/ghosting information of the movement in that 1/fps of a second, while computer generated game images do not.

• @CRUSHED:

@NoVaLombardia:

Unreal Engine 3 is locked at 90 fps at online play, as it has problems syncing players at higher fps levels.

If you set smoothframerate to false and play with bots alone it won’t be capped. What you are seeing over 90 fps with the smoothframerate set max higher than 90 is false info.

As OP asked, RO2 uses the same engine and has the same problem.

• @Andrew:

@CRUSHED:

@NoVaLombardia:

Unreal Engine 3 is locked at 90 fps at online play, as it has problems syncing players at higher fps levels.

If you set smoothframerate to false and play with bots alone it won’t be capped. What you are seeing over 90 fps with the smoothframerate set max higher than 90 is false info.

Nope. You are false info. You can set smoothframerate to TRUE then set the maxframerate to higher than 90 and the game goes higher than 90 fps in online play. I’ve tested it. Here’s proof:

http://imgur.com/a/b5tPN

You are false info.

• Yeah I thought you could but I don’t get anywhere near 90FPS. And my screen is only 75Hz anyway.

• @Andrew:

@CRUSHED:

@NoVaLombardia:

Total bullshit lol. Also you can do the same in RO2