New Flail Design - swinging circle of death!

• We all know the flail is an underpowered weapon but I have an idea of how to make it not only a more powerful weapon but a more interesting one with a different mechanic to the other weapons in the game.

Give the Flail a similar animation to the sling so you can swing it above your head in a circle and just like the sling it does more damage the longer you swing it (up till two or three seconds after which it hits it’s max damage). Whilst being swung this way it creates an area of effect kill zone around the player. You should still be able to attack in the same way as you can now with a simple click but if you hold attack down it starts it swinging.

This swing attack should do a lot of damage once it reaches it’s peak.

The good thing about this idea to me is threefold:

1. It creates a new, interesting weapon that is completely different to every other weapon and has it’s own niche purpose and playstyle.

2. It buffs the flail without just making the normal attacks more powerful.

3. It’s more realistic.

Also because we already have the sling animation and mechanic (it does more damage after you swing it around) then it shouldn’t be too much of an ask of the programmers.

Ideas?

• I always was fond of the idea of the flail having a charge attack.

In regards to your “area of effect killzone” around the player, I’d think this might be a bit imbalanced. It basically gives you a free hit on anyone trying to engage you if they don’t have a shield.

What I would suggest is, have the area of effects around the person charging their attack, but if someone comes in contact with it, make it immediately interrupt the charge attack and do a reduced damage hit to the person it came in contact with. Maybe something like a bit less than a dagger hit.

The player should have to rely upon knowing when to charge up their attack before going into attack and when to release their weapon without hitting someone prior and interrupting their charge time.

With feinting with a charged attack, let’s say you can only feint once before having to release the weapon, so you would do your attack animation (charged up overhead for example) and you would back swing, feint, do a complete circle once more then hit them with the charge attack after the feinting swing. The feint recovery times would be a bit longer than usual to accommodate how unwieldy a flail can be when trying to feint and redirect the motion and momentum of the flail.

Slash charge attack could be an over the head, rodeo style swing charge. While an overhead charge attack could be a to the side slow swing which you keep going.

It would be a much needed buff to and a very unique mechanic like you mentioned which I think the flail needs.

• @DokB:

I always was fond of the idea of the flail having a charge attack.

Well, I prefer my idea to yours but I think we’re both on the same wavelength as far as giving the flail some sort of unique mechanic rather than just a straight up damage buff. Possibly even some sort of combination of our ideas could work?
    @DokB:

In regards to your “area of effect killzone” around the player, I’d think this might be a bit imbalanced. It basically gives you a free hit on anyone trying to engage you if they don’t have a shield.

I don’t think it would be a free hit, the knight using the flail wouldn’t be able to block whilst keeping the weapon swinging so would be vulnerable to long weapons like spears, polearms and some of the long swords and could be shot by projectiles. So every class has something to bypass this attack: MaA and Knights have either shields or throwing knives/axes, Vanguards have long weapons and Archers obviously can shoot them. It’s possible you could even crouch and duck underneath to attack but that would be risky.

• I actually really like this idea. It would really put the flail in its own class and make up for the fact that it takes so long to start an attack. Also be nice if you could choose to equip any of the three knight shields regardless of what knight weapon is equipped… never did understand that restriction.

Also though, this could be a way to make slings viable: have the typical sling attacks swing the same way the flail does, have held LMB attacks start a swinging “circle of death” as you suggested, and a held LMB be throwable as usual. AND GIVE THE SLING A BUCKLER. Good lord that weapon is useless right now.

• SO MUCH THIS.

I absolutley love it, the flail needs this to be done. So long as TB can fix the weird animation that the sling has sometimes where it is erect and not spinning… so that it could be applied to the flail and done well.

aslo…GIVE US MORE SHIELDZ! Please and thanks

• great idea bro because in real battlefield this is the way to use
    appropriate a flait ,also i think all the shield are nessesary because actual shield is shit!!

• I’m all for this (see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11070 )

• I actually suggested this couple days after they released flails.

• @Reginhard:

I’m all for this (see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11070 )

@Hitom:

I actually suggested this couple days after they released flails.

Great! I didn’t see either of those threads but would have certainly just agreed had I seen them rather than starting my own thread.

Whatever they do I think some version of a new mechanic would give some great flavour to the game.

• Sounds good!
    I miss the old flail overhead animation from AoC and this suggestion comes pretty close to what I’d like to have.

I WANT IT! :D

• i like this idea :D

it is more realistic, and makes the flail a unique weapon.

It looks like there’s an appetite for this or a similar mechanic for the flail. I hope the devs are reading :rage:

• If anyone wants to see how brutal a real flail can be and how fast you should be able to swing it, give this movie a watch.

The very first scene is great. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067372/

• Could improve the damage or at least flail your reach.
    The best would be that to turn the flail above his head like the sling.

That would be a real flail! : D

• Yep brilliant idea,
    It’d be good if the Dev’s could hot fix this in so we don’t have to wait several months for this to come into effect.
    Thanks in advance for your prompt action TB :D

• I put some time on the heavy flail and the standard flail. Windup does seem too long. It really would be nice if there was the mentioned mechanic.

The standard flails damage is too low IMO. I like that the weapon has the buckler so you can do the bucklers shield bash, but the combo of the flail(s) buckler doesn’t seem to work as well compared to the javelin (talking melee only) and buckler shield bash.

None of the flail attacks get around guards as well as the axes do which is counter to what i’d expect.

• What the devs should do too (if they add the…erm, swinging circle of death) is a third flail, so you can actually unlock new weapons, instead of just offering everyone two weapons from the same line. And the third flail should be some really big 2h flail with a design like they used to be before they created the ones we may use :D