Knight Weapons - Slow and Punishable

• I believe the knights primary weapons need a rework. Playing a few scrims and reaching rank 37 at about 200 hours I’ve noticed that a majority of the knights slower weapons need some sort of speed boost with a reduction in damage, or a shorter window during the wind up in which the knight can be stunned out of an attack.

I’d prefer the latter of those two options. The reason being if an archer with a dagger is dueling a knight with a maul, the archer should have to play defensively. However, what it normally boils down to (if the two players are of equal skill) the archer will just repeatedly stab, preventing the maul user from actually being able to get off an attack through a sort of pseudo-chainstun. Even if the knight successfully parries, he will only be guaranteed one slow swing, after which the punishment continues from the archer.

From what I’ve seen in scrims, knights now basically stick to their more agile secondary weapons or the sword of war, which is getting somewhat boring. Thoughts?

• Making the maul fast as the bearded axe would be insane but on the other hand nerfing the damage below instant-kill versus vanguards would remove the charm.

• The fact that you are asking for a nerf and a buff means the weapons are balaced as they are
    No changes are necesary

Also your name sounds familiar Rob :3
    @Helgeran:

Making the maul fast as the bearded axe would be insane but on the other hand nerfing the damage below instant-kill versus vanguards would remove the charm.

Doesn’t mention MAAs or Archers
    Well I can see which class you play!

• The main purpose of secondary weapons is to give you a faster weapon to deal with 1handers. If you wanna fight an archer with your 2h-weapon, then take it as a challenge.

• So don’t let the archer stand in front of you. I’ve never seen an archer lead a duel server.

• @Asmon:

The main purpose of secondary weapons is to give you a faster weapon to deal with 1handers. If you wanna fight an archer with your 2h-weapon, then take it as a challenge.

I understand that 1handers are good against light armored classes. My point is that they are also superior in dealing with heavy armored units as well. Mauls simply don’t have the offensive capability as a sword of war or mace due to the slow and easily punishable windup, or the safe range of the vanguard polearms which can also one shot light armored units.

It doesn’t really fill a niche besides slamming new players.

• @BB:

The fact that you are asking for a nerf and a buff means the weapons are balaced as they are
    No changes are necesary

Also your name sounds familiar Rob :3

The point of a rework is to tweak both positive and negative attributes, not simply to give it a complete buff or nerf. There is certainly room for improvement in some areas of the weaponry.

It would just be nice if there was more variety in effective weapons. When I see someone using the maul or flails I know I can simply work them over with the MAA’s hatchet or as a knight with the Norse sword, which despite their short range, has the benefit of being too fast for the maul to go on the offensive and does enough damage to kill them in a few overheads.

Again, leading high level knights to use secondaries almost exclusively which might stagnate gameplay due to lack of variety. The reason I use the maul at all is basically for comedic value –it’s somewhat like a clown hammer.

And yo what up, BB

• it is possible to get kills on good players with the slower weapons like the Maul, but it does require plenty of good footwork to get a hit on someone using a faster weapon, much more than if you were using a faster weapon yourself

and you are right most of the good Knights usually stick to the faster and safer weapons

honestly I don’t play Knight all that much so I don’t have much of an opinion on his weapons
    but lol yes I share the same reason for switching to Maul, I have to be in the mood for it

I am still running around being a nuisance with the fastest class :>
    how about you?

• I keep saying this… but just don’t let a maul (and similar weapon) user on the downswing be flinchable. Problem solved.

Whoever thought this level of flinching was a good idea?

• @Magnificent:

I keep saying this… but just don’t let a maul (and similar weapon) user on the downswing be flinchable. Problem solved.

I agree. The fact that the window for flinching is so long it always tips the the balance in favor for faster weapons. I think the real root of the problem is the maladjustment in this area. If the time in which you could be flinched was shortened, perhaps no real change to the weapons would be needed.

• Knight’s weapons slow and punishable? Man, try to play as a vanguard!

• Not every weapon is going to be the best 1v1 weapon. Maul vs dagger is a silly example to give anyway, but I can see why you chose that since the argument doesn’t really hold water with any other weapon. Maul is best used as a finisher from a blindspot or a threat generator, keeping the attention on you because of 1-shot potential.

• When I play knight, I usually use Sword of War. Nice and fast and reasonable damage and range. If you want speed use that. Why are you using a Maul vs a Dagger? That is silly, switch to secondary.
    It is like saying Rock is OP because it smashes Scissors… using paper when versing rock…

I like using the Double Axe when I want to mix up a bit of fun. To kill people in duels you have to get them thinking your slow weapon will never hit…

• @TV’s:

@Magnificent Bastard:

I keep saying this… but just don’t let a maul (and similar weapon) user on the downswing be flinchable. Problem solved.

I agree. The fact that the window for flinching is so long it always tips the the balance in favor for faster weapons. I think the real root of the problem is the maladjustment in this area. If the time in which you could be flinched was shortened, perhaps no real change to the weapons would be needed.

If you narrow the window on flinching for a maul, that will just encourage lmb spamming, knowing that you will always have a very high chance of success due to trade offs, this is not a good idea.
    The maul is perfectly fine the way it is, spend more time learning how to best use your ENTIRE load out, not just relying on your primary weapon and raging from a panicked dagger wielding archer.

• @Daiyuki:

Not every weapon is going to be the best 1v1 weapon. Maul vs dagger is a silly example to give anyway, but I can see why you chose that since the argument doesn’t really hold water with any other weapon. Maul is best used as a finisher from a blindspot or a threat generator, keeping the attention on you because of 1-shot potential.

Thank you for your condescending response. Much appreciated.
    I’m making the argument of “maul vs dagger” because I find it a touch silly how nonthreatening a giant hammer is.

Perhaps a knifes should drain stamina faster if it parries against heavier weapons. Just throwing ideas out there.

• @jrmftw:

@TV’s:

@Magnificent Bastard:

If you narrow the window on flinching for a maul, that will just encourage lmb spamming, knowing that you will always have a very high chance of success due to trade offs, this is not a good idea.
    The maul is perfectly fine the way it is, spend more time learning how to best use your ENTIRE load out, not just relying on your primary weapon and raging from a panicked dagger wielding archer.

Why is “spamming” with a thrusting dagger’s stab more acceptable over being able to successfully swing with the maul?

• 1. archer aproaches, stabbing
    2. knight parries -> counter overhead
    3. archer forced to parry

repeat one more time

4. archer out of stamina
    5. archer gets his skull crushed

or you know, you could overhead the archer first when you see him aproaching you

• @gregcau:

So don’t let the archer stand in front of you. I’ve never seen an archer lead a duel server.

Really? I used to play archer all the time in duel servers… and I wasn’t nearly as good as I am now.

I’m much better at archer in duel situations than i am in team games :(

• @jrmftw:

@TV’s:

@Magnificent Bastard:

You could always use footwork to avoid getting hit.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@gregcau:

So don’t let the archer stand in front of you. I’ve never seen an archer lead a duel server.

Really? I used to play archer all the time in duel servers… and I wasn’t nearly as good as I am now.

I’m much better at archer in duel situations than i am in team games :(

But did you top the board 10-0.

Can be done, I am sure it has been done. But its pretty rare.

I can get 4th or so with the javelin.