Sydney's Random Fun Times [pewpew]

• @The:

Peter Molyneux reaches for the stars. He never makes it there, but at least he tries, and certainly does innovate. His next game Godus looks pretty damn good. The scope of the game alone makes it worth trying.

I have enormous respect for the man. He pioneered the god game and gave us one of the greatest PC games of all time, he funded projects he loved and believed in from his own pocket so his vision wouldn’t belong to anyone else. I’m definitely going to pick up Godus, though probably when it’s a little further developed. I completely skipped Fable, though. I never had the slightest interest in that series and from what I can tell it’s a good thing I skipped them because they were a primary cause for a lot of love lost between Molyneux and his fans.

@Sydney:

@SlyGoat:

Who needs drugs when you’ve got whiskey?

Sly go to bed, you’re drunk.

Nothing new there.

• @The:

His next game Godus looks pretty damn good. The scope of the game alone makes it worth trying.

Looked it up. Looks like Populous meets Minecraft. Which I guess you could expect.

Although what’s with indie developer beginning to take old game concepts and applying Minecraft all over it?

• Anyone else think the new season of South Park is kinda weak so far? In the past, the episodes usually get better as the season progresses; hope that’s the case with this season.

• So I found out when I get REALLY high off of pain killers and weed, I watch documentaries on ants/ Planet earth videos.

you guys should do it sometime. Good stuff.

• The hardest part about knowing of Godus is that I can get it on steam early access right now, or just watch a let’s play of people who have it. But I want to wait until it’s complete. It’s incredibly difficult to wait… damnn it.

Evidently it’s only like 41% completed. Ugh.

• @Sydney:

So I found out when I get REALLY high off of pain killers and weed, I watch documentaries on ants/ Planet earth videos.

you guys should do it sometime. Good stuff.

@parkrangerstan:

I Went through over 500 Oxycodone/Oxycontin in just under 2 months…

Bad Sydney! Jk, getting high is inevitable on that shit. Well, at least you’re learning something while you’re high xD Yes, I’ve tried it a lot, I was living like that lol. But I was playing chivalry and watching Netflix. I was taking nearly 10 pills every day for 2 months, being high became the new normal, and one day just….no more pills. Living hell. June 3rd, a day that will forever live in infamy. I still have my weed though :D

Also Root introduced me to Kratom, great stuff to mix with a drink or…uh…pills if you have em ;)

• Fuck, I went overboard with the ant videos and other random nature videos…

• lol xD

• Anyone who plays Dota 2:
    Huge patch upcoming.
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=109826

Most retarded aspects:
    -Phantom assassin’s dagger can now crit. So there is a 15% chance she can crit 900 pure damage every 8 seconds.
    -Doom counters every hero.

I am not excited for this…

• @Sydney:

Fuck, I went overboard with the ant videos and other random nature videos…

Sounds like a mod for DW - Deadliest Hermit Crab vs Elephant Seal.

• @Sydney:

Anyone who plays Dota 2:
    Huge patch upcoming.

Most retarded aspects:
    -Phantom assassin’s dagger can now crit. So there is a 15% chance she can crit 900 pure damage every 8 seconds.

I think you missed a lot of the bigger changes…

Also, that’d be 250 / 350 / 450 if it crits on dagger.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Sydney:

Anyone who plays Dota 2:
    Huge patch upcoming.

Most retarded aspects:

225/315/405 dagger crits on heroes actually - the base damage was also reduced. I tried to tell Sydney it’s not as bad as it looks but she’s convinced PA is going to be top ban ;)

Aghs disruptor is my choice for biggest change of the patch. 7 second AoE doom? Pair that with something like naga and there’s almost no counterplay. I’m convinced the item disabling portion of Disruptor Aghs will be reverted because he’s already a very very strong hero who actually doesn’t really have any necessary item buys at the moment, meaning Aghs rush is not only very powerful but completely feasible. Not to mention all the other rather significant buffs he got. I just don’t really understand the logic - he was already an occasional competitive pick and now I’m anticipating seeing him picked or banned in most games.

I don’t really disagree with any of the heroes that were changed (except doom because I hate that bastard) but I disagree with the scale. Like - OD got a slap on the wrist -3 damage nerf despite being almost a guaranteed win in mid lane, shutting down the other team’s ability to gank early. Timber got tiny nerfs as well. Prophet didn’t even get a nerf, bad Prophets will now just feed more gold and exp when they suicide treants. Meanwhile Spirit Breaker, a very occasional competitive pick mainly heralded as the king of pubstompers, got a series of nerfs that will in my opinion make him just about the worst hero in the game. I hate SB with a passion but even he doesn’t deserve the extreme nerfing he got. I was going to say Huskar needed the nerfs more than him from a pubstomp perspective, but actually the removal of orb walking during ghost is going to kill Huskar completely because that was his gimmick for early game dominance and snowballing.

A friend of mine thinks the changes are based on the perception that a lot of these metachanges happening simultaneously will nerf current strategies, in particular trilanes, and thus effect the heroes that excel in this meta - getting exp from enemy pulls, for example, will mean a dual lane is now getting significantly more exp than a trilane if they play their cards right, especially since the pull camp is small creeps now, meaning they probably won’t be able to kill off the lane creeps, so not only do you get exp from their neutrals you also get your lane pushed out. Offlane creeps also meet closer to the tower now so it’s not quite as dangerous in the early levels.

However, even if this is the case, some of the changes don’t make sense. Visage nerfs, for example - Visage is a really strong hero, but pretty much only in a trilane, preferably trilane vs. trilane so as much damage is being spread around as possible for big soul assumptions. Meepo got an incredible change with his ultimate becoming available 2 levels sooner (which means you get it more than twice as fast as previously because of the scaling exp requirements), and Meepo would benefit more than anyone from trilane meta disappearing, since he doesn’t get enough exp in a trilane to snowball quickly and cannot solo lane against any competent solo hero.

Anyway. Still looking forward to the patch. A lot of my favorite but underplayed heroes have been given more reason for me to play them - VS with blink is something I’ve wanted for a long time, especially considering Valve made every hero with a drag able to drag enemies on to cliffs anyway, probably because they think it’s ‘hilarious’ like they did with fountain hooks until it changed the result of a tournament match. (Also the special “target gains cliffwalking” rule for VS and Pudge now that they can use blink just seems arbitrary - Batrider can still pull you on to impassable cliffs without having to buy any special item to do so, and he was specifically designed not to do that in DotA! Also, arbitrary nerf to Flesh Heap? Does Valve really think blink Pudge will be that strong, or do they think Dendi was picking him competitively for anything but fountain hooks? Na’vi didn’t pick Pudge without Chen ever and now I doubt they’ll pick Pudge ever even without this nerf.)

Rhasta Euls trapping was fixed via the new hole in the middle of the wards’ spawn pattern, which is all I wanted - the fact that he got a significant buff on top of it is just gravy, and also the fact that Euls got buffed. Even without ward trapping it’s probably the best item in the game for Rhasta, gives all the stats he really needs (especially juicy flat movement speed bonus to make up for that atrocious Crystal Maiden level base speed).

Wex Invoker is a real thing again - mana restore on EMP almost makes up for the fact that wex build gives you the shittiest possible stat distribution (agility voker new meta) so your early game won’t be as horrible, and 2 spells from level 1 Invoke has been a long time coming IMO. Maybe we’ll start seeing good invokers again instead of 2spell spiritsnapper Invokers who occasionally invoke sunstrike just to show how bad they are by missing it against people running in a straight line to fountain.

Undying’s early game is even more terrifying. Before, it really wasn’t worth it to cast Decay on a hero you didn’t plan on killing very soon, because the reduced strength actually amplifies the effects of regeneration because you maintain your % hp when the strength returns (e.g. if a tango would’ve healed 20% of your health with full strength but heals 30% with reduced strength, it effectively heals 30% of your full strength HP when your strength returns). Now decay saps for 40 seconds at all levels, so you can actually stack the debuff a few times early on and bully enemies out of the lane or kill them.

Witch Doctor buffs. I don’t think they’ll be enough, but I’ll take anything at this point. I want WD to be a good hero more than anything. I might actually skill his heal over stats now, but probably not until level 14 or so, still can’t maintain it early game. Death ward is still a bad ult, but at least now it’s a bad ult you can cast from further away, so it isn’t so suicidal. Even though you still have to get up to near melee range to maledict, which is your main damage source anyway… I wish death ward and maledict were just swapped. Make death ward a ganking tool and maledict a big AoE teamfight ult. Suddenly hero is real again.

Okay that’s my enormous assessment of this patch. Biggest post I’ve made about DotA since Pendragon turned traitor and took DotA-Allstars down. Maybe I should be more active on playdota.

Also, I declare this the official Dota2 thread.

Edit: Oh, oh, almost forgot Rubick 5 second cooldown ult with Aghs. All I have to say is holy shit. Can’t wait to see Dendi win every game.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I talked about the biggest thing that stuck out at me in a negative way.

And no it’s 900 crits to creeps you silly goose.
    Easy jungle farm. I’m well aware damage is cut in “half” vs heroes.
    Still 405 extra damage is quite retarded.
    Wanna run away with 1/3 health? Nope, PA crits you for 400 hp with her dagger. It just makes it even harder to escape. It insures kills.

• I’m such a good dragon knight, nova refuses to use me on the enemy; it would just be poor sportsmanship.

Nova? :D

• Alt E

Stan!?!?!?

• @NinjaCub:

Alt E

Stan!?!?!?

Obviously.

• It’s okay. I will use my Linken’s Sphere on you! Since we can do that now.

• @SlyGoat:

stuffnstuff

I’m looking forward to blink on venge and pudge XD

Also lulzy scepter + pain field ulties on enigma.

Also what do you think about the -10 damage to bat rider… think it makes his laning a lot harder? Even though more people are using him as a jungle, seems like he has to get 2 stacks in lane to last hit well anyway, instead of 1.

Also, furion sort of got nerfed indirectly, aka bad furions, but his jungle gets slowed down a tiny bit.

@sydney… PA is a shit hero, so definitely needed a buff. The buff doesn’t really help her lane though so, it really doesn’t seem like its going to swing that much. It’s pretty much like running a shittier ogre magi.

I also love the linkens change and that projectiles are disjointable now… CALLED IT SLY…

• i love blink on pudge, finally icefrog moving on from his engine limitations

• @CRUSHED:

i love blink on pudge, finally icefrog moving on from his engine limitations

But don’t worry.
    90 HP regen Alch here to ruin your fun time.
    Yes he has 750 less hp in chemical rage but he’ll regen 750 hp in a little over 8 seconds.

So I guess the only real way to beat alch late game now is to nuke him down or pick AA then target fire him.