Quarterstaff Features and More Diversity

• Currently the Quarterstaff has a “bug” that turns the MAA’s dodge into instant transmition. What would be a cudgel clone suddenly became a spry MAA’s wet dream.

This feature however is removed in the beta, making the Staff just another blunt secondary to choose from.

Currently the MAA weapons all play relatively the same, the Vangaurd, Knight, and Archer all have a much more diverse weapon choice in their arsenal. I’d like the MAA to have just as much diversity in his weapon choices.

The current Staff in particular gave the MAA a much better dodge, but forced him to use a Cudgel to wield it. Things like this are extremely fun to play with and I’d like to see more like it.

Here’s one idea I would love to use

-Fisticuffs/Claws
    -Increased run speed when out
    -.05 slower windup across the board than actual fists

and to set them apart from regular fists and give them a little spice
    -weapon blocks with armor on arms instead of parries
    which might sound nice but I feel this is a downside as you can not riposte

And again keep the Staff’s dodge buff, it’s cool and fun to use.
    Innate buffs or nerfs to speed or health should also be looked into when creating new weapons for more diversity.
    We can only have so many swords you know.

• On claws, I would hope for something like a pair of pata, which are essentially swords attached to gauntlets. You can block, with them, as you described, but you attack with both arms, ie, your basic slash can have both of them starting in the middle and then slashing towards the side, an overhead can have a v-shape formation, and a stab can be a stab.

For advantages, you have completely different animations, and a faster speed then the sword line. However, you can’t really riposte, and the swords would be weakly damaging. Also, blocking one would probably count as the other one being blocked.

============================================================================

I’m more curious, however, what you think about the mace/axe line? Axes seem to completly overshadow the maces with faster speeds, comparable range, 2hitting maa’s, and having the same [or in the case of the HWS, less], HTK knights with [and if they took an additional hit to kill knights, then I see swords overshadowing them].

• And off hand parrying dagger, or even a punch dagger could work as well.

But how would you block or parry with claws? I know there are forearm guards that could stop maybe a blunt attack but they aren’t designed to block against the direct edge of a blade. Unless you make it so that a parry with the claws/bracer guard would be where you angle your arm enough to make the edge of the weapon you are against slide off and get deflected almost.

http://armstreet.com/catalogue/full/sca … armour.jpg

• @Reimus:

On claws, I would hope for something like a pair of pata, which are essentially swords attached to gauntlets. You can block, with them, as you described, but you attack with both arms, ie, your basic slash can have both of them starting in the middle and then slashing towards the side, an overhead can have a v-shape formation, and a stab can be a stab.

lol that sounds unblockable, but yeah some new animations for the MAA’s weapons would be great

@Reimus:

I’m more curious, however, what you think about the mace/axe line? Axes seem to completly overshadow the maces with faster speeds, comparable range, 2hitting maa’s, and having the same [or in the case of the HWS, less], HTK knights with [and if they took an additional hit to kill knights, then I see swords overshadowing them].

the Mace tree carries a tad more length to the matching Axe weapons, as well as having slightly better stabs
    but that’s pretty much all the Maces have over the Axes and frankly I don’t think that’s enough to bring them on par

right now the Axes are better at killing every class, including Knights and Vans where the bashing and piercing attacks of the Maces should be superior

three possible solutions, buff Mace damage, nerf Axe damage, or nerf the Axe speed
    I’m in favor of nerfing the Axe’s speed, making them the slower harder hitting weapons that does good damage against all the classes

@DokB:

And off hand parrying dagger, or even a punch dagger could work as well.

would also be cool

@DokB:

But how would you block or parry with claws? I know there are forearm guards that could stop maybe a blunt attack but they aren’t designed to block against the direct edge of a blade. Unless you make it so that a parry with the claws/bracer guard would be where you angle your arm enough to make the edge of the weapon you are against slide off and get deflected almost.

daggers can parry the maul so I’m really not too worried about this haha

• Damn, I keep forgetting about the whole “gameplay>realism” thing. :(

• lol yeah but those arm bracers are exactly what I was thinking of

• Punching weapons seem like a necessity now that they fixed fist hit tracers. I’ve been wanting them for a while.

• @Dick:

Punching weapons seem like a necessity now that they fixed fist hit tracers. I’ve been wanting them for a while.

it’s unanimous then

everyone wants fisticuffs

• @BB:

[…]
    the Mace tree carries a tad more length to the matching Axe weapons, as well as having slightly better stabs
    but that’s pretty much all the Maces have over the Axes and frankly I don’t think that’s enough to bring them on par

right now the Axes are better at killing every class, including Knights and Vans where the bashing and piercing attacks of the Maces should be superior

three possible solutions, buff Mace damage, nerf Axe damage, or nerf the Axe speed
    I’m in favor of nerfing the Axe’s speed, making them the slower harder hitting weapons that does good damage against all the classes.

Slowing down the axes would be nice, but I’d be fine with axes getting a damage nerf and have the swords be fast all-rounders, axes being faster for lower damage and maces being slower for higher damage. That doesn’t fit so well with the 3-weapons-per-tree thing though, so it could certainly be better to adjust speed.

• Please no stupid fantasy stuff in this nice realism aimed game.
    Id rather have less deversity than boxing champions in a european-medievil-style game…

Now for the axes vs maces discussion.
    Im not that experienced with this weapons, but when I compare the waraxe and the flinched mace, at least for me its much harder to combo the axe. With the maces you just spam LMB, but it seems with the axe you have to click at the right moment, anyone else experienced this?

• How are fisticuffs fantasy?
    And we already have a Mordor map, which looks amazing but could use a couple more balance tweaks
    Point is realism and actual medieval times are boring, I want volcanoes, rapiers, and claw weapons

Oh which reminds me, give MAA a rapier
    It’ll pretty much be a shorter faster spear with basicaly the same attacks but it’ll be SO COOL

And hit attack at any point in a weapon’s release and it’ll combo, nothing weird about the axe combos

• Would be a nice feature if you could actually block / parry with the first, taking away their combo ability, but you taking full damage from it anyways, or 50% of it?