Guide: How to reach 98% winratio on Duel Mode.

• It requires only basic understanding of this game’s shitty mechanics in order to bypass the shield consistently.

! 1. Pick Knight
    ! 2. Equip Mace+Shield
    ! 3. Use only Slash and Alt-Slash, sometimes Overhead*****

I guess that’s the current meta for higher level dueling.

*****Only if you feel like giving your opponent a slight winning chance.

• someone sounds mad that he can’t figure out how to win against these people.

• @NoVaLombardia:

someone sounds mad that he can’t figure out how to win against these people.

Not really, but it’s nice to know that you have nothing clever to say, so you pull stuff out of your ass, I never said I have difficulties playing against these people. I am also using this setup, because there’s no other way to win against a good Mace/Shield user.

Shield duels are boring and resort to “who can bypass a shield more effectively”, a lot of people will agree on this. Too bad you didn’t attend to ESL Duel. Guess what set-up recently won the first place ?

• Y U SO MAD

• I don’t know what your problem is, Vintskel. Everything that you’ve posted in this thread is hating on Chivalry. EVEN YOUR SIGNATURE IS FILLED WITH HATE AND DEATH.

• @Matti:

I don’t know what your problem is, Vintskel. Everything that you’ve posted in this thread is hating on Chivalry. EVEN YOUR SIGNATURE IS FILLED WITH HATE AND DEATH.

Well, I don’t enjoy seeing great games turn to “poo”, because of bugs and inconsistencies in game’s mechanics that force the player to use them, or else he won’t win at all.

As I said before, dueling with shields comes up to who is better at bypassing the block, as it only requires understanding of footwork to be effective.

Simple conclusion is that you either pick the same set-up (Mace/Shield) or you are bound to lose, no matter what weapons you choose.

• @Matti:

I don’t know what your problem is, Vintskel. Everything that you’ve posted in this thread is hating on Chivalry. EVEN YOUR SIGNATURE IS FILLED WITH HATE AND DEATH.

A shield and mace isn’t hard to kill.

Claymore or sword of war for me. Jump lookdown overhead = bypass shield.

• @lemonater47:

-Then I can safely assume you didn’t have a chance to play against a good Mace/Shield user.

-It’s easy to block, unless you didn’t see it before, I never saw jumping lookdown OH/Stab with a guaranteed hit, unless someone misses the block.

• @Vintskel:

@lemonater47:

-Then I can safely assume you didn’t have a chance to play against a good Mace/Shield user.

-It’s easy to block, unless you didn’t see it before, I never saw jumping lookdown OH/Stab with a guaranteed hit, unless someone misses the block.

So all you are doing is complaining about people who are better at the game than you.

Brilliant.

• @lemonater47:

So all you are doing is complaining about people who are better at the game than you.

Brilliant.

Brilliant ? I am wondering how did you come to the conclusion that this thread is entirely me whining about losing ?

I simply made this thread to show what’s the most effective Duel set-up for a Knight, you can’t argue with that. I have no difficulties with winning using it.

! (Inb4. you are just stroking your e-ego)

I drafted Laux on last ESL Duel Cup as my first fight, he used Mace/Shield, and ended up winning the entire thing using this set-up.

I am not calling him out or anything, he’s a very nice and likeable guy. I legitimately lost against him in a Mace/Shield duel because he was simply better, but my point is: it’s not player’s fault for using that set-up, it seems that is how this game is meant to be played, if you want to win of course.

• @Vintskel:

@lemonater47:

Brilliant.

Brilliant ? I am wondering how did you come to the conclusion that this thread is entirely me whining about losing ?

I simply made this thread to show what’s the most effective Duel set-up for a Knight, you can’t argue with that. I have no difficulties with winning using it, I rarely lose.

! (Inb4. you are just stroking your e-ego)

I drafted Leux on last ESL Duel Cup as my first fight, he used Mace/Shield, and ended up winning the entire thing using this set-up.

I am not calling him out or anything, he’s a very nice and likeable guy. I legitimately lost to him in a Mace/Shield duel because he was simply better, but my point is: it’s not player’s fault for using that set-up, it seems this is how this game is meant to be played, if you want to win of course.

You do realise that people have different skills and are better with some weapons than other people. Your just good with the shield and mace. I’m good with the claymore and sword of war. And the spear in duels. Though with the spear you have a mental advantage as your enemy thinks your an idiot for picking it and are overly aggressive.

An archer with a cudgel is a very good duelist as well. Cudgel is a blunt weapon so dealing pretty much the same damage across the board and since its an archer people are too over confident. But you still have to know how to fight as an archer.

It makes it seems like the game is horribly unbalanced. Most of it is really people that are just good with a particular setup. There aren’t many weapons that have significant advantages over others. And with some weapons you are either really good with it or really bad with it. There is no in between.

• @lemonater47:

You do realise that people have different skills and are better with some weapons than other people. Your just good with the shield and mace. I’m good with the claymore and sword of war.

It makes it seems like the game is horribly unbalanced. Most of it is really people that are just good with a particular setup. There aren’t many weapons that have significant advantages over others. And with some weapons you are either really good with it or really bad with it. There is no in between.

There’s no better second hand to pick for a Knight than a Mace in a mirror match.
    One of fastest weapons, superb stab speed, decent reach, great blunt damage with a possibility of two shooting with a headshot, easiest shield bypassing second to Broad/Norse Sword stabs.

And if you really think you can win against a decent Mace/Shield using SoW or even Longsword, I suggest you join the next ESL Duel event and try it yourself.

An example might be: put a Knight with any 2h weapon against Mace/Shield user.
    He needs three(or two if he’s lucky/good at hitting the head) hits to kill you, he also doesn’t have to worry about feints, and has a major speed advantage.

Knight with 2h, has only the range advantage, which is nothing against a shield, also he needs exact same number of hits to kill you.

So don’t tell me that no matter what set-up you chose is up to player’s skill. Some weapon choices/set-ups have an obvious advantage.

• So, someone almost (he lost the final, btw) won a 1v1 tournament by using this setup therefore it is OP?

Shield knights are hard to beat, yes, but not impossible at all, even when you aren’t playing shield knight yourself.

1v1 is a joke anyway.

• A good MAA will destroy that setup.

You obviously have not duelled enough, good players are good and there are many different loadouts that can win all the time in the hands of the right person.

• @NabsterHax:

1v1 is a joke anyway.

+1. I play only 1v1 with clanmates (or people that insist as hell, to duel) to have a loud laugh time.

From my point of view Chivalry (and AoC before) is a teamplay based game and is the reason i feel it so fun. However i respect people who like duel mode.

About the setup, well i feel that the good “shield knights” users are very hard to win on a 1v1 match & probably with a fast 1h weapon are more versatile. A nice stuff to play a duel (however i don’t like shields).

• This isnt a mmo, where you have aoe skills and shit.
    Therefor you cant balance the game around 10v10, 20v20 or 10kv10k
    The only logic way to balance this game IS ONLY 1v1. That automatically goes for any type of large battles.

• @Vintskel:

An example might be: put a Knight with any 2h weapon against Mace/Shield user.
    He needs three(or two if he’s lucky/good at hitting the head) hits to kill you, he also doesn’t have to worry about feints, and has a major speed advantage.

Knight with 2h, has only the range advantage, which is nothing against a shield, also he needs exact same number of hits to kill you.

Shield and 1h still benefit too much from each other. What is the only true weakness of any 1h weapon? Reach. What does a shield negate completely? Reach advantages of your enemy.

Shields force a fight to take place in face-hug range. It is not surprising that a dedicated facehug range weapon excels in facehug range combat. The mace itself is not op, it is a balanced weapon (let’s keep buggy hittracers aside for now), only the combination with a shield makes it op in 1v1.

Let’s take it a step further: Which class is even more fucked against shield/1h than a knight? The vanguard, because he relys on his range advantage, take that from him and he is dead. One step further: Vanguard with Spear. This match up is so unbalanced it should be blatantly obvious to anyone.

Let’s just look at the stats of a matchup between Knight with shield/broadsword against vanguard with thrusting spear:
    The Knight needs 3 (or 2 if he is good at hitting the head) hits with one of the fastest and most versatile weapons in the game. He can feint his enemy without any problems.

The Vanguard needs 3 hits if he uses the slow stab, 4 with the “fast” one and that with one of the slowest weapons in the game which cannot even combo. He has to fight in facehug range, as it is impossible to do anything against a shieldblock at any other range. His feints are much harder to execute, as he needs to kick his enemy after a succesful feint. (and right now you cannot even hit with a slow, damaging stab after a kickstun because the stun is too short) One more to top it off: any time the shielded Knight miraculously screws up and gets hit, he gets a free hit as reward (this one is my favorite :D) because spears cannot combo. Flinch and 1h windups fit easily in spear recoveries. So basically you can face tank a spear user to death: pick Knight, shield and a weapon that 2 shots Vgs. Run up to the Vg with shieldblock up. Hit him back anytime he hits you. GG you just won.

Ok I think it should be out of question now that something is wrong. But what exactly is wrong? Are all spears ridiculously underpowered? No, because you see them regularly in competitive play (well the thrusting spear atleast…yes fork and brandistock are up^^). The problem with shields is that they are 100% impenetrable at range (unlike parries). This is has to change, otherwise shields will steamroll any setup that uses reach as its main advantage (=the whole Vg class, and 2h Knights to some extent).

I know this is the internet…but just because somebody is complaining doesn’t mean automatically that he is another butthurt noob who just got his ass kicked (yes, I know 95% of the complaint threads in here are just exactly that). Please be a bit more open minded guys and don’t call everyone who is complaining a crying noob. ;)

• @Falc:

@Vintskel:

An example…blablabla… ;)

Knight shield is already underused in high competitive fights. So devs should nerf it again to make it even less used?
    Some sets up are better in duel and others better in teamplay what is the problem?

• C’mon guys, this Vintskel guy is a genius game designer and should be hired by TB.

We have no idea what we’re talking about and don’t see the things at the level he does.

• @Dervan:

Knight shield is already underused in high competitive fights. So devs should nerf it again to make it even less used?
    Some sets up are better in duel and others better in teamplay what is the problem?

That’s just wrong. I just played a scrim 5 minutes ago with 3 Knights. 2 were using the shield all the time and one was using it sometimes.

But spear against shield is so messed up right now, it is sad. You can’t deny it. It is not like spear user is slightly disadvantaged. He has NO chance at all if the shield users knows what he is doing.