Men at Arm dodge Mecanism

• You have to be walking to trigger a dodge as a men at arm. You can’T quickly dodge to the left when you are running forward for example.
    That makes dodge rather difficult to pull out, especially considering that you often don’t have the time to stop moving in a fight

This is the kind of stuff that makes the man at arm underpowered right now (just look at how underused they are in any game). Dodging should be triggered on the move.

That plus the overall speed : knight and vanguard shouldn’t be able to catch up to you when you are ruining from them. Even if they get a bonus speed for chasing someone, they shouldn’t be able to catch up to a man at arm.
    And they overall don’t seem faster than the heavier classes.

• MaA is really deadly in the hands of a skilled player. Not tooting my clan’s or my friend’s horn but 22nd_Rokema is dominating the battlefield as a MaA with 16-26 kills per round using the speed of MaA, dodging and attacking effectively. The archer/MaA class seem to be the hardest ones to pull of effectively but like I said, with experience and skill they become really deadly.

However I do agree that Knights and Vanguards should be slowed down a bit. Right now there seems to be no drawbacks in being a K/V.

Also have you noticed that your overall speed is depentend on your HP? If you get hit you really don’t run that fast so it might confuse you into believing that other classes are superfast, when in reality you’re just wounded and thus slower.

• @sadnhappy:

MaA is really deadly in the hands of a skilled player.

Everything is deadly in the hands of a skilled player, even a toothpick.
    Your argument is invalid.

@sadnhappy:

Also have you noticed that your overall speed is depentend on your HP? If you get hit you really don’t run that fast so it might confuse you into believing that other classes are superfast, when in reality you’re just wounded and thus slower.

good point.

• @akarnir:

@sadnhappy:

Erm. I don’t like that phrase but sure, if you want to be a nitpicker about it, yes, everything is deadly in the hands of a skilled player but what I meant to say was that using Vanguard or Knight class effectively requires a lot less skill than using MaA or archer. ;)

A lot of people just spam away at this early stage of the beta and so far it seems to be quite effective.

• Sure. Yet it’s undeniable that man at arm needs some buffs. Dodge is fairly impossible to execute correctly for a non pro player (unlike most other move), because you have to stop moving before dodging.
    Man at arm needs some boost. Dodge doesn’t work properly. Fix dodge = man at arm have their boost.

See what i’m saying?

• @akarnir:

@sadnhappy:

@sadnhappy:

good point.

At least it isn’t the Man at Arms class from AoC. They’re were invincible.

• Nothing wrong with maa. Difficult to pull off if you’re a newcomer, but thanks to his fast attack speed and dash ability he’s easily the most powerful class in the game once you reach a certain skill level. If anything those god damn axes and maces need a dmg nerf, as I mentioned in a previous thread.

I also don’t mind the double tap dash keybind. Requires a little daring on the players part rather than turning the mma into a bad benny hill impression. The alternative key+direction, ie shift+s, would make make dodging feel more fluid but it really would just turn duels into some bad 90’s dance routine.

• Thing is 1h weapons are OP atm. They 2 shot just about everything. I don’t think it should be that way since you need 3-4 hits to kill a vanguard with a greatblade where the 1h weapons just twoshot.

Imho MAA is a zero-effort class atm. Spam slash and win, 2 hits will kill, combined with fast attackspeed… n/c
    Not to mention the possiblity of using a shield, without any damage penalty.

There’s not even a need to keep a certain distance, which could be considered skill to maintain that distance. Just hug the enemy. Every noob can pull that off.

So unless damage is fixed there’s no need to make the dodging easier. It’s already pretty powerful the way it is.

• i don’t understand why people say MAA is the most overpowered class while people are walking around as a heavyweight knight because they can dodge
    the dodge mechanic really hurts my fingers, and it breaks my concentration half the time.
    ITS HARD TO DO
    that’s why there are god damn benefits for doing it
    anyone who says MMA (not using hatchet) is OP is obviously bad at the game. :(

• @Sir:

anyone who says MMA (not using hatchet) is OP is obviously bad at the game. :(

I will fraps some footage of a flanged maces on MAA later and link it here, you’ll see how easy and zero-effort it is. I mean why do the hassle of using a slow 2h weapon that needs 3 hits on a vanguard when you can just go around 2shot with a fast weapon.

I haven’t played the sword tbh, but flanged mace and 1h axe are way too powerful damage wise.

• I said this in-game earlier: the man-at-arms is an underpowered class with overpowered weapons. The hatchet is stronger than intended I believe, judging by weapon files; it currently does more damage than the war axe, which is supposed to have the highest damage of the one-handed axes. The mace does quite significant damage considering how universally strong blunt damage is; I think its swing should be toned down about 10 points so it returns to being an overhead-focused weapon, which will make it easier to deal with when in close as you won’t have to turn 90 degrees to block it. Feinting a swing and then going in for an overhead is a very difficult tactic to anticipate and counter properly because you have to turn so far you won’t even see him change up his swing. The problem is still the mace, however, not the man-at-arms; I see knights with maces doing just as well or better than men-at-arms with maces.

• @akarnir:

You have to be immobile to trigger a dodge as a men at arm. You can’T quickly dodge to the left when you are moving forward for example.
    That makes dodge rather difficult to pull out, especially considering that you often don’t have the time to stop moving in a fight

This is the kind of stuff that makes the man at arm underpowered right now (just look at how underused they are in any game). Dodging should be triggered on the move.

That plus the overall speed : knight and vanguard shouldn’t be able to catch up to you when you are ruining from them. Even if they get a bonus speed for chasing someone, they shouldn’t be able to catch up to a man at arm.
    And they overall don’t seem faster than the heavier classes.

More then that the charge of the Man at arm is pathetic compared to other class Charge attack. You can’t really afford to do a little damage while taking a close-to-mortal wound. I died many times doing that. I almost prefer to wait on the opponent to come to dodge him or simply block the blow, and then duel him. Of course it’s different when the knight is distracted, that’s the perfect moment to charge him.
    The thing is that the Maa weapon speed is so good that it your opponent has much problem blocking your swing and trust and you can still move around quite effectively.
    So I’m not sure how OP the Maa would be with an even better dodge…probably too good as people get better at the game.

• I think you should be able to dodge with with alt+WASD because double tapping is really unprecise and annoying

• @Karam:

I think you should be able to dodge with with alt+WASD because double tapping is really unprecise and annoying

I concur. A hotkey to dodge in the direction you’re currently moving would be great. It’d also allow diagonal dodges.

• You’d also be able to dodge while on the move, ex. running forward, tap ‘hotkey’ lunge forward for a quick strike. Same with moving in either direction. I like the diagonal idea as well, would allow for an MaA to get around a Knight with the tower shield and land a quick blow to his side.

• @PepperBelly01:

You’d also be able to dodge while on the move, ex. running forward, tap ‘hotkey’ lunge forward for a kick strike. Same with moving in either direction. I like the diagonal idea as well, would allow for an MaA to get around a Knight with the tower shield and land a quick blow to his side.

YES

• Alt+WASD suggestion is awesome and would really improve the dodging mechanism. MaA doesn’t even need to use Alt like an archer/crossbowman does so why not?

Devs! Do it! :D

• @sadnhappy:

Alt+WASD suggestion is awesome and would really improve the dodging mechanism. MaA doesn’t even need to use Alt like an archer/crossbowman does so why not?

Isn’t alt a bit difficult to reach?
    I prefer the way it is right now, i don’t imagine myself reaching the alt key while my fingers nerves are all super tense in the w.a.s.d. + shift

• @akarnir:

@sadnhappy:

Alt+WASD suggestion is awesome and would really improve the dodging mechanism. MaA doesn’t even need to use Alt like an archer/crossbowman does so why not?

Isn’t alt a bit difficult to reach?
    I prefer the way it is right now, i don’t imagine myself reaching the alt key while my fingers nerves are all super tense in the w.a.s.d. + shift

Use your thumb? Its right beside the space key, and feels quite natural to press as if you were pressing the space key. Besides, you can always rebind it to whatever you want.

• Should also be a cool down so they cant just keep dodging. Even tho i think the whole dodging is horrid and arcady.