What happened with this game

• Hello all

Im really concerned about the future of this game. Not speaking about contents, but the gameplay/mechanics itself.
    I remember chivalry back in beta&release. It was a GREAT game. It worked, I couldnt believe that the combat actually worked, even in beta. Thats why I bought it.
    I thought things could only be better (again, combat wise)
    But sadly, it went all downhill.
    Im about to die from every attack, which so easily bypasses my blocks/parries.
    Then again it often happens that my attacks (mostly 1h are super easy to surpass block/parry, but some 2h also do well) that go thru blocks and parry.
    Its frustrating for the people and also for me.

Im really asking myself how that could happen? The game isnt bugged a little, but a DAMN LOT.
    Some friends I used to play with already left, in great memories of the 1.0 version. They couldnt stand to die from things that easily bypasses their parry/block. Not to forget that free hit kickstun on shield…. I mean why?? Why do you let someone get a free hit on shield? The ONLY class that isnt affected by this is MAA (which also “nullifies” feint)
    No other class as far as i know is able to nullify kickstun/feint. Well, I dont want to go talk about feint, but kick stun is one horrible mechanic this game got. This should be removed ASAP.

My ultra concern is about the future patches. since release (patches and beyond) ive seen NO “fix” that actually fixed something (again, combat wise) or simply the server browser… Come on, you say its fixed/improved? Its soo goddamn buggier than before…
    Instead of fixed fixes, somehow BUGS came with them. For example hits going thru parry etc.
    How exactly did this happen? Why hasnt this been fixed yet? Will we ever be able to get a “working” hitbox detection again or whatever?
    In duels, theres about 30% chance that weapons go thru my parry. I could do a sexy photoshooting demonstrating a goddamn great parry. But then the weapon still hits me.
    Im tired of hoping not to get hit by weapons. Yes I really have to hope not going to get hit. My skills are pretty irrelevant.

Im really concerned about this game and how it will fare. How is it possible, that each patch breaks the combat even more? HOW does that happen?

• I don’t think that many bugs have been introduced since the release. I think it’s more likely down to players becoming more experienced with the engine and learning how to exploit it better to get around block, which would make it look like a glitch.

That doesn’t mean there still aren’t a lot of issues currently to do with balance and bugs and I do hope that the devs manage to fix the glaring issues because underneath it all there’s a really great game with amazing combat mechanics.

• TL:DR everybody got better, and you didn’t.

• Shield stun/stun shield users is fine - the move is telegraphed and not hard to avoid.

If you are failing to parry then that is your issue, its not hard to have a 80% success rate at parrys but yes good players know how to delay/speed up/redirect attacks to bypass your block.

And sure there are a few bugs left but the last patch was pretty good.

• I fully understand where you’re coming from OP. Me and my bud were so psyched for CU1, and when it came out and we played for a bit, it just didn’t feel the same and our playtime declined fast. It just doesn’t feel like the same game it used to be. However, things hopefully will get better. Ghost swings are supposedly being addressed in the next patch.

• No new bugs have been introduced in quite some time, save for the server browser bugs in CU1 Patch 1 which was an unfortunate overlook because there were so few beta servers nobody noticed the issue before it went live. It’s just a matter of issues like these becoming more apparent over time. All of the problems with blocking and ghost swings have been in the game since release; it just took a while for players to figure out how to exploit the blocking mechanics the way they do now, and the ghost swings are primarily caused by flinching - so whenever we fix a bug causing players not to flinch, it causes more ghost swings to show up.

We put in some fixes for blocking in the last patch, and we’re adding another layer of block detection in patch 1.5, which you can try on the beta client right now. Patch 1.5 also has fixes for ghost swings, server browser issues, and a number of other problems that you can check out in the announcement thread for it. 1.5 should be going live pretty soon, and I’m confident it’ll be our best patch yet from a stability standpoint.

• @Hitom:

TL:DR everybody got better, and you didn’t.

Yes, game is perfect. No bugs at all. I haven’t seen even a single bug since… well forever. Game works best. It has no lag at all and it’s netcode is amazing. It’s definitely skill issue. L2P noob. What you have browser problems!!! How come?? I see 20 of same server duplicated. What’s better than being able to pick between 20 clons of your favourite server to play. Furthermore, there’s noone abusing anything in this game. Its cheat/hack free. No real global bans is undoubtedly proof there’s noone cheating in Chivalry. Finally, keep in mind this is an indie product. Yes, TBS went top position on steam sale… but Steve can’t decide which furniture to buy for brand new office with thousands of dollars he made.

• @Peacerer:

@Hitom:

Yes, game is perfect. No bugs at all. I haven’t seen even a single bug since… well forever. Game works best. It has no lag at all and it’s netcode is amazing. It’s definitely skill issue. L2P noob. What you have browser problems!!! How come?? I see 20 of same server duplicated. What’s better than being able to pick between 20 clons of your favourite server to play. Furthermore, there’s noone abusing anything in this game. Its cheat/hack free. No real global bans is undoubtedly proof there’s noone cheating in Chivalry. Finally, keep in mind this is an indie product. Yes, TBS went top position on steam sale… but Steve can’t decide which furniture to buy for brand new office with thousands of dollars he made.

This made me laugh much more than I thought possibl lulz.

• @SlyGoat:

1.5 should be going live pretty soon, and I’m confident it’ll be our best patch yet from a stability standpoint.

Have you updated 1.5 beta with the javelin fix yet?

• Eh, there is less going through parry and shields now than there ever was. In the new beta, parry is even more responsive than live. This only means the game is now harder, since what previously scored you a hit will get parried effectively now. I’m not claiming it’s perfect but no way is the parry less accurate now then before. And yes players in general have gotten way better, where you a decent player would go 10-1 in a pub LTS you may only go 8-6 or worse in most pubs.

• There is only 1 real game-breaking bug.

The alt swing animation bug; can’t wait for that to be fixed, but tbh it should have been hotfixed as soon as it was found.

• @Peacerer:

@Hitom:

This is the part where I really wonder if you are a noob… I never had this serious browser problem everyone’s yelling about. Sure, about the first 5 to 10 seconds of refreshing my browser list, i get a lot of dublicates, but they all disappear after a little. I can not be the only one with a working browser… seriously.

• @gregcau:

@SlyGoat:

1.5 should be going live pretty soon, and I’m confident it’ll be our best patch yet from a stability standpoint.

Have you updated 1.5 beta with the javelin fix yet?

It’s fixed internally but the beta hasn’t been updated yet. It hopefully shouldn’t be much longer now.

• @SlyGoat:

No new bugs have been introduced in quite some time, save for the server browser bugs in CU1 Patch 1 which was an unfortunate overlook because there were so few beta servers nobody noticed the issue before it went live. It’s just a matter of issues like these becoming more apparent over time. All of the problems with blocking and ghost swings have been in the game since release; it just took a while for players to figure out how to exploit the blocking mechanics the way they do now, and the ghost swings are primarily caused by flinching - so whenever we fix a bug causing players not to flinch, it causes more ghost swings to show up.

We put in some fixes for blocking in the last patch, and we’re adding another layer of block detection in patch 1.5, which you can try on the beta client right now. Patch 1.5 also has fixes for ghost swings, server browser issues, and a number of other problems that you can check out in the announcement thread for it. 1.5 should be going live pretty soon, and I’m confident it’ll be our best patch yet from a stability standpoint.

Im playing since day 1.
    Everyday basically. It started with each patch to become worse.
    The worst of all was the new weapons etc update (including duel mode and all)
    Before that day, I didnt have a SINGLE problem with parry. Could be a hatchet/falchion/longsword/halberd. When patch came. I INSTANTLY saw that something was wrong. I suddenly have to block to a fucking impossible degree. Even then, if I do I still get hit. Sorry my friend, I never saw this before those patches. NEVER.
    I could take you screenshot of a damn sexy parry. You could nominate it to be the best posed parry ever. But the thing is, I STILL GET HIT. Be it overhead or lmb. Sometimes stabs too, but these seem to have higher parry chance. No dont come up with this. Ive been lurking the forums. There are numerous bug reports about broken parry/block/weapons that werent there before the patches.
    Just before, I had one dude who ragequited. He blocked at a perfectly angle. I went with a overhead. Guess what? He died. Simply went thru. I didnt even have to facehug him. Wasnt a surprise to me, since i see this happen all day. But im fucking fed up.

To that funny one who tells “l2p”
    Im sitting on 2.2k kills and 250 deaths or so. Im not the best, but im quite over the average. Im pretty much always first on all other combat modes.
    How that? Fucking bugs. I learnt how to manage them. For example with the halberd. There is a way to 100% go thru parry and block, no matter how he blocks or parry. I just have to position myself and voila. Same goes with warhammer, but im not having a 100% chance there.
    I use all classes, the most weapons. My fav is still the longsword tho.

No, I know the difference between now and previous client. Note that im only talking about parry and block issues, or whatever causes them to fail. There are a ton of other bugs. For example the full stamina knockback stun. Wasnt there before this patch. A new one. But im not going to talk about these

Well I didnt try the beta, but I really hope this “fix”, actually FIXES something.
    But let me tell you, its a damn shame having to wait for about 3-4 months for a fix…

@Hitom How does the server browser make him a noob? If I change something in the filters, I wont get any servers for about 1h. This would make me a noob right?

• @ragnarok:

@SlyGoat:

No new bugs have been introduced in quite some time, save for the server browser bugs in CU1 Patch 1 which was an unfortunate overlook because there were so few beta servers nobody noticed the issue before it went live. It’s just a matter of issues like these becoming more apparent over time. All of the problems with blocking and ghost swings have been in the game since release; it just took a while for players to figure out how to exploit the blocking mechanics the way they do now, and the ghost swings are primarily caused by flinching - so whenever we fix a bug causing players not to flinch, it causes more ghost swings to show up.

Im playing since day 1.
    Before that day, I didnt have a SINGLE problem with parry. Could be a hatchet/falchion/longsword/halberd. When patch came. I INSTANTLY saw that something was wrong. I suddenly have to block to a fucking impossible degree. Even then, if I do I still get hit. Sorry my friend, I never saw this before those patches. NEVER.
    I could take you screenshot of a damn sexy parry. You could nominate it to be the best posed parry ever. But the thing is, I STILL GET HIT. Be it overhead or lmb. Sometimes stabs too, but these seem to have higher parry chance. No dont come up with this. Ive been lurking the forums. There are numerous bug reports about broken parry/block/weapons that werent there before the patches.
    Just before, I had one dude who ragequited. He blocked at a perfectly angle. I went with a overhead. Guess what? He died. Simply went thru. I didnt even have to facehug him. Wasnt a surprise to me, since i see this happen all day. But im fucking fed up.

Im sitting on 2.2k kills and 250 deaths or so. Im not the best, but im quite over the average. Im pretty much always first on all other combat modes.
    How that? Fucking bugs. I learnt how to manage them. For example with the halberd. There is a way to 100% go thru parry and block, no matter how he blocks or parry. I just have to position myself and voila. Same goes with warhammer, but im not having a 100% chance there.

No, I know the difference between now and previous client. Note that im only talking about parry and block issues, or whatever causes them to fail. There are a ton of other bugs. For example the full stamina knockback stun. Wasnt there before this patch. A new one. But im not going to talk about these

Well I didnt try the beta, but I really hope this “fix”, actually FIXES something.
    But let me tell you, its a damn shame having to wait for about 3-4 months for a fix…

@Hitom How does the server browser make him a noob? If I change something in the filters, I wont get any servers for about 1h. This would make me a noob right?

Parry works for me. If you’re NA you can join me in my duel server and I can give you tips on how to parry more accurately.

• @bada:

@ragnarok:

@SlyGoat:

Im playing since day 1.

Parry works for me. If you’re NA you can join me in my duel server and I can give you tips on how to parry more accurately.

Im eu and Im sure I dont need tips lol
    I know how parry works, I know that I need to turn an idiotic degree to block 1h.
    The thing is, I STILL get hit.
    Before the patch, you didnt need to turn such an awkward degree (looking at falchion for example) and if you parry, it DID parry.
    Just like before, someone came with warhammer to me. He made a good old classic lmb, turned myself a bit, looking perfectly to the tip and while holing block. Got hit.

• I started playing on monday again, after a 3 months break.
    I didn’t notice any “unblockable” attacks, many people just have problems to block alt swings or alt overheads.
    What concerns me more are people who obviously play 3rd person and look at the gound the whole time, swinging at odd angles and doing instant overheads with slow weapons.
    And the guys that are toestabbing with the SoW, much more groundlooker and toestabber than before I left.

• I agree with a lot of these people in saying the average skill level since the beta skyrocketed. Swing dragging has become common, along with feint spam, and people for the most part play a variety of classes/ weapons allowing them to counterpick in certain situations.

The servers are all full of wolves, we’ve eaten all the sheep and are now turning on each other.

But i also agree that the kind of combat that was happening around the beta/release period was way better. I remember 20+ blow exchanges, blocks going back and forth. actually being able to see my opponents swing. The game is ABSOLUTELY far more jumpy and less smooth than it used to be. You’d almost think it was straight sped up. But its just the swingdragging and incredibly fast overheads.

• What has this to do with “people got more skilled”
    What has that to do with my parry, which should parry, but doesnt? Does skill determite my parry chance?
    People dont get suddenly pros from 1 day to other.
    I mean this suddenly happens since the patch which was said on on previous posts.
    Doesent matter if its a alternative attack or normal. Happens too a lot to me

• @ragnarok:

It worked

Back in October of last year, on ‘release’, I could vouch for that. Now I really can’t, as for me, it doesn’t only not work from a gameplay perspective - as in it’s bad or imbalanced or whatever, but literally, doesn’t function whatsoever; I didn’t even get a new right or upgraded the current one, but there it is.