Javelins?

• I have been working hard on my javelin and starting to reap the benefits.

Just watching the ESL today I notice no one uses it. Is it just not effective enough in team play compared to a second knight/van?

Considering how few people actually take a shield I would have thought it would work quite well.

• I think this is one just one of those situations where nobody plays it because they never see anybody else playing it.

• We’ve had slight use of the javelin in the past, but it would be cool to see it used more often!

• Generally, if one team takes an archer then the other must do too in order to counter-snipe and limit the severe damage output of an uncontested archer. This archer can’t really use javelins because his whole team is dead before he can get in range. (Javelineer is essentially a high-risk high-reward melee unit.)

This leaves 4 units for melee in a 5v5 game. You could give up one of those positions to javelin, but you sacrifice that armour and javelineer is still easy to take down for the enemy archer.

In a larger game - 6v6 or 7v7 - my clan has been successful using a bow archer and javelineer, as they can generally be better protected by the 4 or 5 melee units than 3 in a 5v5.

• @NabsterHax:

Generally, if one team takes an archer then the other must do too in order to counter-snipe and limit the severe damage output of an uncontested archer. This archer can’t really use javelins because his whole team is dead before he can get in range. (Javelineer is essentially a high-risk high-reward melee unit.)

This leaves 4 units for melee in a 5v5 game. You could give up one of those positions to javelin, but you sacrifice that armour and javelineer is still easy to take down for the enemy archer.

Well said, a javelineer is a good support class, but it’s too squishy and lacks the ability to attack at long range like a warbow archer or xbow. Only really viable in larger games, and even then they probably wouldn’t much if any use, they need a little bit of a buff I think before people consider them viable for a competitive match.

• @Del:

Only really viable in larger games, and even then they probably wouldn’t much if any use, they need a little bit of a buff I think before people consider them viable for a competitive match.

Well, actually I think a very good javelineer in the right setting can be extremely effective. If they rarely miss they can usually take out 1 or even 2 enemy members before the enemy gets into melee range, which is a huge advantage.

Unfortunately it seems there are very few javelineers who are this good, but I can assure you they do exist. ;)

Oh and if you can take control of darkforest’s first ammo box, a javelineer can spam the enemy over and over. Quite funny, actually.