Will shield hitboxes be fixed in the 1.5 patch?

• Played a while without shields, and it is paradoxically a lot easier to block stuff now, with the shield it felt like luck whether or not it would block an attack and you would have to dramatically exaggerate the direction you were blocking in. Though without a shield you are susceptible to the dreaded RNG feint.

• It seems as if that lower left hand side of the shield has some sort of sneaky stab hole there which registers as a hit. Or the shield just covers up most of your screen so it can be disorientating to some because even with a shield, you still need to focus on making sure your shield centre is aimed at the point of the attack.

Whether it will be fixed or not, we’ll wait and see?

• I don’t think for melee combat there is such a thing as a shield hitbox. From what I understand of the way it’s coded, a shield simply allows you to hold a parry indefinitely and it works like a parry for all intents and purposes. The hitbox is only used for missile weapons.

• @Dr:

I don’t think for melee combat there is such a thing as a shield hitbox. From what I understand of the way it’s coded, a shield simply allows you to hold a parry indefinitely it works like a parry for all other intents and purposes. The hitbox is only used for missile weapons.

This is correct to my understanding.

• @DokB:

It seems as if that lower left hand side of the shield has some sort of sneaky stab hole there which registers as a hit. Or the shield just covers up most of your screen so it can be disorientating to some because even with a shield, you still need to focus on making sure your shield centre is aimed at the point of the attack.

Whether it will be fixed or not, we’ll wait and see?

Even if you look down and to the left / right on this stab, you can still hit the sweet spot. It makes it harder for the stabber, but still possible =/

• Whether it will be fixed or not, we’ll wait and see?

It hasn’t been touched - or even mentioned - for quite a long time so I doubt this will change.

• @Dr:

I don’t think for melee combat there is such a thing as a shield hitbox. From what I understand of the way it’s coded, a shield simply allows you to hold a parry indefinitely and it works like a parry for all intents and purposes. The hitbox is only used for missile weapons.

Right, there is nothing to fix, WAD (working as designed).

• @Dr:

I don’t think for melee combat there is such a thing as a shield hitbox. From what I understand of the way it’s coded, a shield simply allows you to hold a parry indefinitely and it works like a parry for all intents and purposes. The hitbox is only used for missile weapons.

I think this is wrong. You shouldn’t be able to hit someone through the shield just because they’re not holding down block. However doing this would lead to shields being severely OP so some nerfing would have to be involved.

• @bagetti:

@Dr:

I think this is wrong. You shouldn’t be able to hit someone through the shield just because they’re not holding down block. However doing this would lead to shields being severely OP so some nerfing would have to be involved.

The double negative is throwing me off. Please reword? :?

• I think this is wrong. You shouldn’t be able to hit someone through the shield just because they’re not holding down block. However doing this would lead to shields being severely OP so some nerfing would have to be involved.

There is kick and weapons that were designed specifically to counter shields (like Flail). Shields aren’t as overpowered as you think, mostly because you can’t counter-attack as fast as players who doesn’t have them (you need to lower your guard and then be able to attack). The fact it’s so easy to go around shields while they take away so much of your FOV (a buckler is prime example) makes them useless for most people. It’s usually better (in terms of results) to take long or heavy-hitting weapon and use speeded up attacks. That’s why you see so few shields online.

• Shields are fixed. WAD.

• @ReMixx:

@Dr:

I don’t think for melee combat there is such a thing as a shield hitbox. From what I understand of the way it’s coded, a shield simply allows you to hold a parry indefinitely it works like a parry for all other intents and purposes. The hitbox is only used for missile weapons.

This is correct to my understanding.

Wow, really? It feels so much easier to get around smaller shields (in melee) than it is to get around larger shields. Bucklers being the prime example, sometimes, you can get a hit in without even trying while striking around a tower shield seems to require much higher precision.
    If a shield was just a prolonged parry that would also feel really un-intuitive… people tend to think they are protected where the shield is :/

It would, however, explain how some people are able to stab me in the feet while I’m blocking with a kite shield…

• @Don_Kanaille:

Wow, really? It feels so much easier to get around smaller shields (in melee) than it is to get around larger shields. Bucklers being the prime example, sometimes, you can get a hit in without even trying while striking around a tower shield seems to require much higher precision.
    If a shield was just a prolonged parry that would also feel really un-intuitive… people tend to think they are protected where the shield is :/

Agreed on both points. Although, the increased coverage on larger shields is somewhat small; if you manage to flank a shield, chances are your opponent will get hit no matter what shield he’s using. This is confusing with a tower shield; even if you hit to its side, in reality your arm will get caught on it edge and you’ll end up with a sprained (or broken) wrist.

I much prefer to use footwork to avoid a blow rather than a shield, which can be hard-countered by a kick.

• Something important to remember about blocks and parries is that your turn rate is capped the same as a swing while a block/parry is active. I think this contributes a lot to the perceived notion of shields being easier to get around than parries - people aim their parries, THEN hit the parry button, while with a shield you usually put it up early and then aim it. If you treat the shield more like a parry and only hold it when necessary, I think you’ll find you’re much more successful in blocking people trying to get around you.

• @SlyGoat:

Something important to remember about blocks and parries is that your turn rate is capped the same as a swing while a block/parry is active. I think this contributes a lot to the perceived notion of shields being easier to get around than parries - people aim their parries, THEN hit the parry button, while with a shield you usually put it up early and then aim it. If you treat the shield more like a parry and only hold it when necessary, I think you’ll find you’re much more successful in blocking people trying to get around you.

Mindblown!

• @SlyGoat:

Something important to remember about blocks and parries is that your turn rate is capped the same as a swing while a block/parry is active. I think this contributes a lot to the perceived notion of shields being easier to get around than parries - people aim their parries, THEN hit the parry button, while with a shield you usually put it up early and then aim it. If you treat the shield more like a parry and only hold it when necessary, I think you’ll find you’re much more successful in blocking people trying to get around you.

A good shield user will only have his shield up as short as possible anyways because of the various other drawbacks (stamina, kicks).

But thanks for the feedback, some people probably need it.