Why can't primary swords be used one handed w/o a shield?

• This is regarding the longsword, sword of war and messer, and I’ve got to say I don’t understand this. You can play with a shield and go through a very convoluted switching process to finally put the shield on your back and be able to use the sword one handed, but why can’t you just hit the ‘1’ key and switch to a single hand when you aren’t using a shield? It seems to me that it would be very simple to fix this. I don’t get it; am I missing something? :?

• You can do it if you know how to actually.

• Weapon switch keybinds do need to be optimized, I swear they were better when the game was released.
    It is also frustrating in DUEL mode especially for MAA, I understand fire-pots are a bit unfair in DUEL, but making me have to choose a shield that is always out when you spawn is so annoying for me. Perhaps they will give us another option like a glove to choose from, so you can slap your enemy :P

• @DDR:

You can do it if you know how to actually.

You say you can use primary swords w/o a shield one handed if you know how? If you could share that knowledge that would be fabulous. I’m not talking about maneuvering it so that you have a shield on your back and are using the sword with one hand, which is possible but involves about 4 switches to accomplish. I’m talking about not having a shield as part of your loadout and still using the primary sword one handed.

• 2 - 3 - 1 - 1

take the secondary weapon, drop the shield, then take the main weapon and press the button again as if you wanted to use your shield…

But it only works if you selected a shield, not with the throwing axes.

It is the only way.

• @nightbringer57:

2 - 3 - 1 - 1

take the secondary weapon, drop the shield, then take the main weapon and press the button again as if you wanted to use your shield…

But it only works if you selected a shield, not with the throwing axes.

It is the only way.

Yeah, I know how to do this. My question is, why can’t you use a primary sword one handed when you aren’t equiped with a shield? Was it specifically made this way for a reason, or was it an oversight, and might it be changed in a future release?

• You won’t be able to use a 2h sword 1h without shield after the next patch, they’re fixing a bug and the fix they’re implementing also fixes this inadvertently. Too bad, I’ll miss running around with a Messer and a bare fist.

• @Oy:

You won’t be able to use a 2h sword 1h without shield after the next patch, they’re fixing a bug and the fix they’re implementing also fixes this inadvertently. Too bad, I’ll miss running around with a Messer and a bare fist.

Where did you hear this? If this is true it definitely is a bummer; I don’t understand the logic here. There is no logical reason I can see to not allow players to use the swords one handed w/o a shield. I wish someone from Torn Banner would clarify why this is the case.

• @Sir:

@Oy:

You won’t be able to use a 2h sword 1h without shield after the next patch, they’re fixing a bug and the fix they’re implementing also fixes this inadvertently. Too bad, I’ll miss running around with a Messer and a bare fist.

Where did you hear this? If this is true it definitely is a bummer; I don’t understand the logic here. There is no logical reason I can see to not allow players to use the swords one handed w/o a shield. I wish someone from Torn Banner would clarify why this is the case.

The only reason it can be done now is through an unintended bug. Although they’re aware of it, it’s not a high priority fix for them. They’re tweaking the shields and this also makes the 1h/no shield thing not work anymore, forget where I read that but its somewhere in these forums. Dunno why they don’t just make the no shield thing a feature.

• @Oy:

The only reason it can be done now is through an unintended bug. Although they’re aware of it, it’s not a high priority fix for them. They’re tweaking the shields and this also makes the 1h/no shield thing not work anymore, forget where I read that but its somewhere in these forums. Dunno why they don’t just make the no shield thing a feature.

Just wanted to say the I like your flag 8-)

On a more serious note, I enjoy using the longsword etc. one handed and blocking instead of using a shield. I hope they change it and make it not only possible, but easier to do. As I have said before, I don’t see any logical reason not to.

• I like this idea.

• I have to say, it feels like the primary designer of this game is being stubborn about this issue.

Most gamers that I’ve noticed are neutral on the topic or for it. I personally don’t see any issue with 1 hand use of a hand and half swords without shields. It is fun, doesn’t really provide much advantage over other 1 handed weapons and just plain gives more options to the player.

Why take it out?

• For those interested, I put a question into the ASK TB section about it. Will hopefully see a well thought out reason why it isn’t to be included.

• @Toll:

I have to say, it feels like the primary designer of this game is being stubborn about this issue.

Most gamers that I’ve noticed are neutral on the topic or for it. I personally don’t see any issue with 1 hand use of a hand and half swords without shields. It is fun, doesn’t really provide much advantage over other 1 handed weapons and just plain gives more options to the player.

Why take it out?

Yeah, I’m not sure why but it does seem that it’s a bug thats being fixed when actually nobody but the devs have a problem with it.

• I strongly agree.

I’m really sick of hearing “it was never intended to be that way” about various things. I don’t care! It has become part of the de facto reality of the game. If you are going to change it, justify how it is an improvement and doesn’t affect anything negatively.

• You can even still do it via a construed method in the latest Beta. Clearly, this so called ‘unintended feature’ knows it should be intended and refuses to be patched.

• Knights running around swinging big-ass swords with one hand is awesome. Without a shield is just badass. Why is this being focused on as a negative aspect? Using a two-hander with one hand already has a distinction, but there should also be another distinction between shield/no shield. I think the reason they’re not doing it is because they don’t want to balance any new weapons, as they can’t seem to balance the ones they already have. But this isn’t an issue if no shield has the same stats as shield, so why is this an issue? Just make shield optional for bastard swords only, because Knights are badass and they can just do that shit. It’s not like we’re asking for dual-wield zwiehander Vanguards.

• Will, it seems that my Question failed to make the cut for some reason. I wish they would at least give a PM why a message didn’t make the “ASK TB” page. There is still a chance it has a long list and is lost in it…

O well.

• As for balance, at the moment using a knight primary 1 handed without shield is pretty low powered, it is really just for the fun of doing it. I’m more than happy if they keep it this way and make it a proper feature.

• PLEASE KEEP IT, theres no reason to disallow it. No one has complained about someone 1handing a 2 hander… there’s no real added benefit to doing so, other than being in shield stance but being able to counter, but there isn’t a damage or speed buff really so i don’t see why not.

Also, can we 1 hand mauls please? and thank you