Better Tutorials-Less Hacking/Abusing

• Hi!

I don’t know about you, but when I first played this game I had a VERY hard time. I would get pummeled over and over again. Not standing a chance against other players. It wasn’t till perhaps my … 10th hour? of gameplay that my K/D ratio would occasionally rise above 0.4. This game is hard, it has a high skill cap.

Now for players that don’t want to be owned again and again (the majority), they’ll try to find ways to be able to win a duel or fight once in a while. Some people practice in duels, some people think “everyone is obviously speedhacking, I must only be fair and do so myself”, some people read on wikis and some people look for “tips and tricks” to win in games. Or in other words read about different features in the game they can abuse in order to gain the upper hand.

What I’m trying to say is that the jump from tutorial to live multiplayer games is insanely high. If new players had more opportunities to learn the game better before entering multiplayer, they would be less prone to seek out hacks or other kind of abuses.

Edit:
    Think how many players don’t have the time or patience to go through the rough grind of 10 h of ownage? I’m positive that many players quit the game after a few hours simply because they got too tired of being outclassed.

• Firstly, if you’re hacking, there is no excuse for that behavior. I’m not a hacker apologist, you hack because you’re mad due to being bad.

Secondly, the tutorial mode gives you all the info you need to play the game. No one likes a long tutorial mode. A 1 player campaign with a story would be fun but if it happens it would be far in the future.

I’m done with the numbering, you can set up your own maps with bots to practice.

Reading wikis to find tips and tricks is a great idea, proactive players will tend to do better.

And the steam overlay plus this forum plus youtube all have TONS of guides on how to play different classes. There is no shortage of helpful materials.

It took till your 10th hour before you started doing well? I’d expect that, you’re playing against people with hundreds or thousands of hours. If you were getting a good kdr something would be seriously wrong with chivalry.

as you stated, this is a difficult game with a relatively high skill ceiling. Its not chess but its also not tic tac toe. It will take time for your brain to learn what responses to initiate for various stimuli in-game. Just give your brain time to adapt, look at the guides that are there, and practice.

In addition, if you REALLY hate doing poorly, i spent ranks 1-20 completely drunk. It didn’t help my playing but it made me happy enough not to ragequit.

Nicotine has been shown to increase spatial awareness and reflexes. Your kdr will improve if you puff on a cigarette (or electronic cig - my old method) while you play. Have a cup of green tea first as well. Too much caffeine in coffee, you’ll get jittery. Make sure your mouse and keybinds are optimal. no mouse acceleration, ect. Make sure your brain is working optimally by taking a multivitamin, omega 3 oils, co enzyme q10, piracetam with a choline supplement, creatine, L-tyrosine, alpha lipoic acid, Acetyl L cartnitine, kava, ginseng, and ginko biloba. Talk to your doctor before taking things advised by people on the internet.

• @JCash:

Firstly, if you’re hacking, there is no excuse for that behavior. I’m not a hacker apologist, you hack because you’re mad due to being bad.

Secondly, the tutorial mode gives you all the info you need to play the game. No one likes a long tutorial mode. A 1 player campaign with a story would be fun but if it happens it would be far in the future.

I’m done with the numbering, you can set up your own maps with bots to practice.

You hack because you’re bad, and you’re bad because you haven’t learned how to be good. See what I’m saying?

I’m not saying a possible additional tutorial has to be obligatory. See of it as an “Advanced Tutorial” in addition to the “Basic Tutorial” we have now. That way players can skip them so they don’t feel forced to play through them.

I actually did set up my own map against bots. Yeah. They’re very easy.

You said that it isn’t strange that I’m getting owned against people with 100+hours because I only had 10h. But think how many players don’t have the time or patience to go through the rough grind of 10 h of ownage? I’m positive that many players quit the game after a few hours simply because they got too tired of being outclassed.

• @bagetti:

@JCash:

Firstly, if you’re hacking, there is no excuse for that behavior. I’m not a hacker apologist, you hack because you’re mad due to being bad.

You hack because you’re bad, and you’re bad because you haven’t learned how to be good. See what I’m saying?

I’m not saying a possible additional tutorial has to be obligatory. See of it as an “Advanced Tutorial” in addition to the “Basic Tutorial” we have now. That way players can skip them so they don’t feel forced to play through them.

I actually did set up my own map against bots. Yeah. They’re very easy.

You said that it isn’t strange that I’m getting owned against people with 100+hours because I only had 10h. But think how many players don’t have the time or patience to go through the rough grind of 10 h of ownage? I’m positive that many players quit the game after a few hours simply because they got too tired of being outclassed.

No i dont really see what you’re saying. You hack because you’re bad and you don’t care about ever becoming good, you just want to ruin the experiences of other players because you’re mad you can’t play. That brand of human being should just be VAC banned and never go online again.

did you read my whole post? I read yours and looked at some of your other posts. I can tell you’re young, from 12-16. Listen friend, the things you are saying, they are false. there are a ton of resources to learn how to improve. Its a difficult game, this isnt hello kitty go cart racing. Its WAR. Some people are gonna get pwned for a few hours and then quit, such is life.

How do you think people become good at a game like this? Do you think you read a guide or two and watch a video and suddenly you can play?

There is very little time to judge a situation and react. You need to know relative weapon ranges, windup times, damages, movement speed of classes, account for lag, use the environment, keep a mental picture of the immediate vicinity while trying to remain aware of the larger scale conflict going on around you. You need to know every terrain feature of maps, combo times, ect.

That is a lot of information. You won’t consciously know it but your brain will learn it, through pattern recognition and response processes. And there is only one way to develop that, time. You simply won’t be viable till about 20-25 hours in, and even then its another 175ish till you’re actually something approaching good. Its not like world of warcraft or some kind of hotkey game where you read about how to set your character up, do that, and then you win. You can not become good at chiv by reading anything or watching videos, it will do very little for you.

• This game isn’t even hard, I beat jack baldy’s cheating ass when I was rank 20 or something.

Most people I see that don’t do well are playing with 100+ ping, blaming the weapon, the class, the server, the game, the weather, “lmao i’m so high right now you fucking fuck I don’t care if you killed me YOU bitch”.

Blame yourself, figure out what you’re doing wrong. If you die ask yourself what happened and don’t include any of the above.

• @JCash:

No i dont really see what you’re saying. You hack because you’re bad and you don’t care about ever becoming good, you just want to ruin the experiences of other players because you’re mad you can’t play. That brand of human being should just be VAC banned and never go online again.

did you read my whole post? I read yours and looked at some of your other posts. I can tell you’re young, from 12-16. Listen friend, the things you are saying, they are false. there are a ton of resources to learn how to improve. Its a difficult game, this isnt hello kitty go cart racing. Its WAR. Some people are gonna get pwned for a few hours and then quit, such is life.

How do you think people become good at a game like this? Do you think you read a guide or two and watch a video and suddenly you can play?

There is very little time to judge a situation and react. You need to know relative weapon ranges, windup times, damages, movement speed of classes, account for lag, use the environment, keep a mental picture of the immediate vicinity while trying to remain aware of the larger scale conflict going on around you. You need to know every terrain feature of maps, combo times, ect.

That is a lot of information. You won’t consciously know it but your brain will learn it, through pattern recognition and response processes. And there is only one way to develop that, time. You simply won’t be viable till about 20-25 hours in, and even then its another 175ish till you’re actually something approaching good. Its not like world of warcraft or some kind of hotkey game where you read about how to set your character up, do that, and then you win. You can not become good at chiv by reading anything or watching videos, it will do very little for you.

What I was saying was, you hack/abuse because you’re bad and you’re bad because the game doesn’t teach you well enough (I’m sure this must be the case for a minority of hackers/abusers but def not all of them). I’m not saying that everybody should have a 1.0 K/D, I know that people are going to be differently skilled, but the difference between a new player and just a regular player is TOO big imo.

I know this isn’t Hello Kitty, but this isn’t real. It’s a game. And you have to understand that many people simply don’t have the time to put in 20-25 hours in to a game before it gets any fun. I’m trying to bring in a larger player base here.

I almost read your whole post, I skimmed through the last part about alcohol and nicotine. And no, you’re wrong about my age. I’m 21 but English isn’t my primary language so.

• I agree with the game needing a better tutorial mode.

• @DDR:

I agree with the game needing a better tutorial mode.

I tend to agree with Johnny.
    The tutorial is sufficient. It teaches you the basics plus all the advantages of each class.
    Also there are 2 videos from the devs explaining combat mechanics.
    After that, the best tutorial there is, is game time.
    Also I’d advise you to play duels. 1vs1 without distractions, you’ll learn to handle yourself better and to read your opponents. Sure you’ll get your ass kicked, but thats how you’ll learn if you’re willing to. If you resort to spamming and abusing broken weapons/mechanics you’ll never get better.

There is plenty of stuff to read on, watch. But no tutorial can teach you what experience will.
    Just have fun and enjoy getting your ass kicked for a while :P
    And ffs dont start whining and accuse people of hacking. Accepting you’re still a newbie is the best way to improve.

Most players dont even play the tutorial lol.

• The tutorial teaches you the skills.

It doesn’t make you good at them.

But my cousin got this game and we both joined the same FFA match.

He ended up winning, as a man at arms too. Really hard class for new players. No training just straight into the game as a man at arms with a broadsword and heater shield. He went up 2 ranks in that game.

• @JCash:

(deleted)
    In addition, if you REALLY hate doing poorly, i spent ranks 1-20 completely drunk. It didn’t help my playing but it made me happy enough not to ragequit.

(……)

Talk to your doctor before taking things advised by people on the internet.

This entire post is so winning. Also as for the OP, there is never an excuse to cheat in a game. That’s only what children who don’t know better do, and even then it’s still unacceptable and lowly. :|

• When I first started, I was getting my but kicked too. I didn’t want to play anything but an archer class and I just couldn’t hit a thing. On occasion, I would get a kill and friken jump for joy :D

150+ hrs later, I am now confident in my aim enough to shoot into 2 people fighting it out and NOT hit my teammate (and I don’t either, I wait for a proper opening).

While the first 30 or so hours was basically me just learning and getting destroyed by other players, I still found enjoyment in the game. If you truly want to improve, you will need to find the time to invest into learning regardless if the tutorial was improved or not.

The tutorial didn’t even work for me when i first started and improving it wouldn’t hurt. I talked to the archer instructor and learned the basics, but the other three wouldn’t respond. Which is what ultimately led to playing as just an archer :)

• A tutorial can only do so much, simply because the Bot-AI is limited. A bot does not even come close to putting up the same challenge as a real player (mostly because they suck at defense). The tutorial is well made as it has a nice setting and tells you what skills you have and what to do with them… yet a tutorial that really gets you multiplayer-ready in a way you can hold your own against the experienced players is far out of reach, as far as I can say.

It was much more forgiving when the game was new and the vast majority of players was unexperienced - which was when I joined. However, the metagame has evolved so far that most people can pound a new player with their bare fists while laughing at them :/

The only real advice I can give is:

• Look for servers with a rank cap
    • find someone to train with you; maybe go to a FFA-server labeled “duel” and ask for advice

Otherwise,

before it gets better.

• The issue for me was (and I imagine this is true of many/most new players) that the training, and indeed the gameplay mechanics themselves, seem to imply a different strategy than is actually successful in game.

The way to be truly successful (not just occasionally successful) in this game unfortunately comes down to a myriad of exploits or “tricks” that manipulate game mechanics in a way that is neither realistic nor implied/taught in the training. Things such as mouse dragging to make attacks contact much quicker, face hugging to negate parry/shield, and weapon-specific hitscan manipulations are the most prominent, but there are others (Archers sprinting while shooting, etc).

Players aren’t trained to respond to these strategies (likely because they weren’t foreseen by the developers and are truly exploits, not just advanced gameplay mechanics) and often find themselves deeply frustrated by players they perceive to be “cheating”, because they’re getting hit in areas where logically they don’t expect to; such as through a shield, or getting hit immediately by an attack made with a slow weapon because of mouse dragging.

For this game to be healthy and welcoming to newer players, one of two things need to happen:

A) Players are taught the tactics behind these strategies in easily accessible and official game documentation and preferably the training mode itself. Having it on the forums in guides isn’t enough, few if any players are going to forum troll before even playing the game (unless they’re bored waiting for it to download/install).

B) These tactics are filed under exploits and either removed or heavily altered to be nonviable. This is my preferred choice as I think the game is more than complex enough without these exploits.